5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We Have Discovered A Major Issue With Our Long-Term Laramie Sport:

Gozar

Reaction score
Did
That is good to know as I also replaced my rear cargo lights with LEDs, I will give that a try. Bummer if that is the issue, I kinda liked them that bright.
you also swap out the center mounted high stoplight? Do I need to pull it too and replace with original to avoid the "missing" keyfob?

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
We Have Discovered A Major Issue With Our Long-Term Laramie Sport:
Our Truck Starts Without The Keyfob Present...

Hi redriderbob,

This is certainly concerning, please be sure to keep us updated regarding your dealer's findings.

Mark
RamCares

bonebro

Reaction score
Did

you also swap out the center mounted high stoplight? Do I need to pull it too and replace with original to avoid the "missing" keyfob?
Yes it will affect the fob when you step on the brake to start the truck.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have to wonder if the 2nd key is in the truck somewhere. Glove box? Console? Door? Ram Bin? There are plenty of storage spaces one could hide a key.

ETA: Mine works like it's supposed to (tested with only phone in hand). Had some issues getting remote unlock working with UConnect. Remote start works really quickly. My truck is current with all updates.
IMG_0560 - Copy.jpeg
IMG_0562 - Copy.jpeg
IMG_0563 - Copy.jpeg

Last edited:

Cravenfan

Reaction score
So, today I stopped by the dealer, he used my fob and some device and plugged into my truck, just below the steering wheel to get some info. I took the device out and gave him the entire thing when I needed to drive out of the garage.

I parked it outside and we chatted a bit. When I went to leave, it stated, “key fob not found,” on my dash. What the heck? Oh, the keys were still on his desk, next to where I had pulled up, in the garage!

Seems like if the key is outside the truck, it will still start and run. But, if you turn it off and try and restart, no bueno. They probably need to turn the key fob sensitivity down, or ensure it reads it as being inside the vehicle?

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’d like to know also. I have diode dynamics in the cargo lights. Haven’t had any problems yet
I just ordered the diode dynamics which is why was curious, glad to hear you’re not having any issues.

RangerZ

Reaction score
Just curious, can you explain again how the use of LED lights in the third brake light affect the ability to start the truck without a key fob? That is what this thread is about? I am having a hard time following the connection. Thanks

idk duke a lot of the new technology on these vehicles is over my head but some people are reporting that funny stuff happens when you change non
LED bulbs over to led. I’m basically asking the same question As you are. I can assume that the LED has less draw and maybe it tells the truck that a certain bulb isn’t working but as far as starting I can’t make the connection

2020GCM

Reaction score
Well I guess this is a good a place as any for my first post.....Hi all, picked up my 2020 last month, tested this issue out and it did not start with the fob about 15 ft away.

cra1g

Reaction score
idk duke a lot of the new technology on these vehicles is over my head but some people are reporting that funny stuff happens when you change non
LED bulbs over to led. I’m basically asking the same question As you are. I can assume that the LED has less draw and maybe it tells the truck that a certain bulb isn’t working but as far as starting I can’t make the connection

Poorly-designed LED bulbs throw off all kinds of RF interference that can affect the truck's ability to detect the key. It would never make the truck able to start without a key, but it can make it tricky to get the truck to start with the key.

SacRebel

Reaction score
I was curious about this after reading this post. I was able to unlock my truck from my office, about 100 feet away, but when I tried to start it the idiot message said no key fob detected and it wouldn't start. Glad I checked though as this is a very serious issue.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For what it's worth my truck operates as intended. I tried several times, at different distances, this morning. And I had my truck in for an oil change, tire rotation, etc., last Friday but they didn't need to perform any updates or anything.

It sure is a curious circumstance.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What's up with this issue? Haven't seen any more info from OP? Surely the problem has been diagnosed by now.....?

Boa24

Reaction score
I just tested mine. Tried it twice. First time key fob was about 15ft away, second time it was on the hood of my wife's next to my truck in the driveway. Got the "Key Fob Not Detected" message both times.

Users who are viewing this thread