5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Way to disable Remote Tailgate Release?

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I suspect that if you disconnect the solenoid you won't be able to open the tailgate at all. There is no mechanical connection from the latch release on 5th gens, it's electrical. I found this out the hard way when I tried to open my tail gate with the battery disconnected. It wouldn't open at all until I connected the battery back up.
There might be a signal wire coming from the wireless receiver to the solenoid which could be disconnected, but things are rarely that straight forward with modern electronics

deanno33

Reaction score
After two more ghost tailgate openings this weekend....guessing from fob in my pocket, I took the remote apart. There doesn't appear to be a way to easily disable the button on the little circuit board in the fob.

So, I carefully pulled the front rubber up on the fob. It's just pressed in and comes up easily. I put a couple drops of super glue on the little mechanical button under the rubber. I then let it dry completely for 24 hours. The tailgate release button is now hard as a rock and there's not a way to accidentally hit it while driving.

I'm certainly not recommending this permanent resolution to anyone but sharing a super simple fix to disable the useless function on the key fob. I for one am tired of arriving to a location only to find I've been driving with tailgate down. My Ford was the same.

Wheeler

Reaction score
I just pulled metal contact behind the rubber button and stored it spare space inside remote. If want it back for any stupid reason will glue back it place

Dave Nixon

Reaction score
Removing the rubber sure appears to break the rubber seal around the contact button.. so I didn't go any further with that. Would love it if someone could post a youtube video about how to disable the tailgate open button on the key fob. My tailgate wants to hit my hitch lock right where the tailgate camera is, so I definitely want to solve this. And no, I don't want to raise my truck and lower the ball mount. This seems to be a very poor design for RAM owners who tow.

Wdpower

Reaction score
Following. My advisor at Ram is a guy I used to work with. I’m going to inquire and post if he has anything. I can’t believe there isn’t a way to stop this.
I wi to k for Lexus and we can disable the rear hatch on our SUV’s.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Following. My advisor at Ram is a guy I used to work with. I’m going to inquire and post if he has anything. I can’t believe there isn’t a way to stop this.
I wi to k for Lexus and we can disable the rear hatch on our SUV’s.
The remote tailgate release feature is not a configurable feature in the BCM, and is built into the RF Hub. The only possible way to have it not work, besides removing the button contacts, is to buy a fob that doesn’t have the tailgate release button, and have it programmed.

deanno33

Reaction score
I finally opened up the key fob pull the rubber cover off and took out little contact that activate tail gate opening actuator.

I did the something similar. On the fob I use daily, I pulled the rubber up around the fob face and added a couple drops of superglue to harden that button. Once dry I pressed the rubber back in place. The tailgate release is now rock hard and definitely won't press again.

I still can't think of a single real world reason someone would use the auto tailgate function.

esta1701

Reaction score
I just had my tailgate open in the garage and scratch the top up as well when I opened the door. My big fear is it opening when I am in a parking lot and hitting the car behind me when I pull through. My solution:

1. Remove battery.
2. Gently remove rubber top of key fob. The buttons have little rubber feet that go into the mechanism so you may feel some resistance.
3. Cut a small piece of metal to place on top of the release button area. I used an end of a curtain rod support bracket that was almost the exact size as the area around the physical button and was just lying around my tool box.
4. Reassemble and replace battery.

Button sticks up a little bit but I am confident it will not open the tailgate and it is completely reversible.

This happening is kind of ironic since my wife didn't pull her Grand Cherokee in far enough a couple of days earlier and scratched up the hatch a little bit when she closed the door. Guess it's karma paying me back for complaining about buffing it out.

Users who are viewing this thread