5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Way to disable Remote Tailgate Release?

costu

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a way or how to disable the remote tailgate release?

I sometimes install a bike rack on the back of my truck and realized today that if I lower the tailgate it will hit on the bike rack and/or bikes. I'm concerned about accidentally hitting the remote tailgate release and dropping the tailgate on the bike rack so it would be great to know how to disable this.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No idea.

Put a pad on the bike rack? So if the tailgate does open it doesn’t get damaged?

Rick J

Reaction score
I don't think there is any setting to disable remote tailgate release. Have you considered taking the remote FOB apart and disabling the button for for the tailgate. I haven't looked inside the remote but wouldn't think it would be too difficult to do.

Wheeler

Reaction score
Any luck to figure out how to disable tailgate destruction button.
I finally opened up the key fob pull the rubber cover off and took out little contact that activate tail gate opening actuator.

renzo2213

Reaction score
That’d be great if there was a way. I parked backwards at work one time, I remote started my truck while inside... or so I thought... then I get in my truck, turn it on and leave, and I felt the tailgate open as I pulled away... it had open and while I was pulling away it was just going down the wall. Nothing crazy but there’s a slight scratch. Very irritating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nilsd

Reaction score
Watching this for a solution. Just got a Bike mount at REI Garage Sale, and same fear crossed my mind.

I wish that the tailgate release could somehow first check the reverse park sensors to see if they were triggered, and if yes then override and reject the release command. Or at least put and option in Uconnect to turn off the release option for times when something was mounted on the hitch.

renzo2213

Reaction score
6d2766f74a5e25572cb36f166dd1b0f5.jpg

This is what happened to it, not major but still a ding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yellowboy

Reaction score
I'll follow this - I have an ARE fiberglass cap on mine. Sometimes I hit the tailgate release instead of the remote start . The cap window keeps the gate from dropping but may not in a few years when the window struts lose their pressure.

Last edited:

DieselFuelOnly

Reaction score
Has anyone had any luck disabling the remote tailgate drop? At work yesterday I had the fob in my pocket, when I went out to the truck the tailgate was down. I was luck as I had backed into one of the few parking spots that had no other vehicle behind me!

I can see how this can be a problem. I was going to take the fob apart but I don't have the tiny torx bit that seems to be required. I may have the bit at work but thanks to this COVID-19 crap I am reporting to the office for a while.

Has anyone disabled the remote drop??

Thanks, and let hope this COVID crap ends soon!

buffalobill

Reaction score
i accidentally opened mine with the truck too close to the garage door , then opened the door not knowing the tailgate was leaning on it . 2 scratches

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I haven't had any issues with mine yet, but I'd really like to know why they felt the need to add this feature in the first place. I mean, if I have a hand free to push the button on the remote two times, I would have the same hand free to open the tailgate the traditional way. Who thinks ahead enough to have the remote in your hand before you pick up whatever you want to put in the back of your truck? Maybe with time I'll get used to doing this, but so far it's been an unused feature for me.

DieselFuelOnly

Reaction score
I haven't had any issues with mine yet, but I'd really like to know why they felt the need to add this feature in the first place. I mean, if I have a hand free to push the button on the remote two times, I would have the same hand free to open the tailgate the traditional way. Who thinks ahead enough to have the remote in your hand before you pick up whatever you want to put in the back of your truck? Maybe with time I'll get used to doing this, but so far it's been an unused feature for me.

Exactly what I was thinking, just seems like a useless feature to have!

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have not verified this, but it makes sense that there is some type of solenoid inside the tailgate around the handle that is used to open the latch. You could probably open the access hatch on the tailgate and disconnect and tape the connector to the solenoid,

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have not verified this, but it makes sense that there is some type of solenoid inside the tailgate around the handle that is used to open the latch. You could probably open the access hatch on the tailgate and disconnect and tape the connector to the solenoid,
I suspect that if you disconnect the solenoid you won't be able to open the tailgate at all. There is no mechanical connection from the latch release on 5th gens, it's electrical. I found this out the hard way when I tried to open my tail gate with the battery disconnected. It wouldn't open at all until I connected the battery back up.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I suspect that if you disconnect the solenoid you won't be able to open the tailgate at all. There is no mechanical connection from the latch release on 5th gens, it's electrical. I found this out the hard way when I tried to open my tail gate with the battery disconnected. It wouldn't open at all until I connected the battery back up.
Good to know, thanks.

DieselFuelOnly

Reaction score

deanno33

Reaction score
Absolutely the most useless and potentially damaging option on a truck. There is like no time you would use this function. Had on my f150 and hated it there too. Today on my Ram, twice the tailgate was down from remote in my pocket. I'm going to try to take a remote apart.... without breaking it.

Users who are viewing this thread