5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water Stained Headliner above Rear Window

Dremias5545

Reaction score
Also as of writing this, I have 21,652 miles on the truck. So it's not like I drive a lot lol.

Chrisburgess72

Reaction score
I noticed leaking on both sides of the window on mine.
Mine is the same. Not as much seepage but same spot for the right side only. Did you get your window replaced under warranty and did that resolve future leaking? Taking mine into the dealer tomorrow..... C923525B-4D31-46C2-857E-9A590F17600A.jpeg

Jorangel87

Reaction score
In my case the dealer's service department was able to clean the headliner and remove any trace of staining.

I was hoping they could resolve the stain without replacing the headliner. That's kind of an ugly procedure if done by the book. They have to remove the windshield to do that.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 014274 miles.
Any update what the problem was? My 19 limited is leaking after rain today here in Chicago?

Jorangel87

Reaction score
So disappointed to announce I too have this problem. Any fixes or diy before I take it to dealer? TIA

Attachments

• 64A8A238-B434-4EDB-8FB5-BFA6DE531501.jpeg
    64A8A238-B434-4EDB-8FB5-BFA6DE531501.jpeg
    92.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 115854DF-9BA4-4E22-8960-0A145673F5DA.jpeg
    115854DF-9BA4-4E22-8960-0A145673F5DA.jpeg
    89.4 KB · Views: 54

Chrisburgess72

Reaction score
I took my truck to the dealer. They “adjusted” the third brake light and did a water test. Said it didn’t leak. I also sprayed the back window from the top passenger corner and rear light for just 10 minutes to make sure, and it didn’t leak. I told him the problem is when the truck is sitting for the entire day/night during a rain. Water takes its time because it’s a small leak, but it eventually starts dripping. Their looking for an instant leak. I still don’t think the back light has ever been the problem as when my truck was leaking I removed the light right after it rained and it was sealed and dry. I called FCA today because I feel, based on my experience, that this dealerships service depart gives zero F’s about fixing my problem or customer service in general. I even showed them there is a hairline crack in the inside window molding at the sliding window and he told me he thinks it’s just a “scuff mark” I was dumbfounded. I told him it’s a crack and it’s going to get bigger. And the whole point of me being there is to resolve the situation before it gets worse. I hate to think i need a new rear window, but I told him that’s what needs to happen. Luckily right now nothing is getting wet IE roof liner, seats etc., just a small drip. FCA said they opened a case and provided me a case number and will have this escalated. I should receive a call from them tomorrow.
I’ve owned many new and used cars in my life and this is complete BS on a truck I purchased 16 months ago with 19k miles. I will not buy another FCA vehicle as it stands unfortunately. Disappointed as I’ve wanted this truck for years.

Vinnie.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I took my truck to the dealer. They “adjusted” the third brake light and did a water test. Said it didn’t leak. I also sprayed the back window from the top passenger corner and rear light for just 10 minutes to make sure, and it didn’t leak. I told him the problem is when the truck is sitting for the entire day/night during a rain. Water takes its time because it’s a small leak, but it eventually starts dripping. Their looking for an instant leak. I still don’t think the back light has ever been the problem as when my truck was leaking I removed the light right after it rained and it was sealed and dry. I called FCA today because I feel, based on my experience, that this dealerships service depart gives zero F’s about fixing my problem or customer service in general. I even showed them there is a hairline crack in the inside window molding at the sliding window and he told me he thinks it’s just a “scuff mark” I was dumbfounded. I told him it’s a crack and it’s going to get bigger. And the whole point of me being there is to resolve the situation before it gets worse. I hate to think i need a new rear window, but I told him that’s what needs to happen. Luckily right now nothing is getting wet IE roof liner, seats etc., just a small drip. FCA said they opened a case and provided me a case number and will have this escalated. I should receive a call from them tomorrow.
I’ve owned many new and used cars in my life and this is complete BS on a truck I purchased 16 months ago with 19k miles. I will not buy another FCA vehicle as it stands unfortunately. Disappointed as I’ve wanted this truck for years.
I believe there is a TSB in this thread...

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any update what the problem was? My 19 limited is leaking after rain today here in Chicago?
I had two separate leaks. First problem was water stains in the rear corners of the headliner. That turned out to be the third brake lamp leaking, however it two lamp assembly replacements to resolve. Then later, staining across the center turned out to be a leak at the top seal of the rear window. That required a new rear window.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 047440 miles.

Chrisburgess72

Reaction score
I had two separate leaks. First problem was water stains in the rear corners of the headliner. That turned out to be the third brake lamp leaking, however it two lamp assembly replacements to resolve. Then later, staining across the center turned out to be a leak at the top seal of the rear window. That required a new rear window.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 047440 miles.
Dusty, how is the water getting to the rear corners from the brake like. I too have a leak when it rains in just one corner. I removed the brake light and did not see and “channel” that would funnel water to the corners. Did you?

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dusty, how is the water getting to the rear corners from the brake like. I too have a leak when it rains in just one corner. I removed the brake light and did not see and “channel” that would funnel water to the corners. Did you?
Yes. In my '19 there is a ledge formed by what appears to be a metal reinforcement that runs across the rear of the cab roof. This ledge extends to a point just a few inches from each rear corner. When the third brake lamp assembly is removed, it is plainly visible as it sits just below the bottom edge of the lamp opening. As water leaks from the lamp assembly, this little ledge allows it to flow to the corners. If a lot of water comes in at a time, then it will spill over the ledge and stain the center portion of the headliner (I've seen that once).

This ledge, by the way, was on both of my 4th gen Rams (Yes, they leaked, too!)

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 047554 miles.

Chrisburgess72

Reaction score
Yes. In my '19 there is a ledge formed by what appears to be a metal reinforcement that runs across the rear of the cab roof. This ledge extends to a point just a few inches from each rear corner. When the third brake lamp assembly is removed, it is plainly visible as it sits just below the bottom edge of the lamp opening. As water leaks from the lamp assembly, this little ledge allows it to flow to the corners. If a lot of water comes in at a time, then it will spill over the ledge and stain the center portion of the headliner (I've seen that once).

This ledge, by the way, was on both of my 4th gen Rams (Yes, they leaked, too!)

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 047554 miles.
Thank you for the clarification. I’m hoping the repositioning of third brake light and proper tightening of the screws will eliminate any further issues

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you for the clarification. I’m hoping the repositioning of third brake light and proper tightening of the screws will illuminate any further issues
I hope it gets fixed for you he first time. I fixed the leak on my 2010 myself because it was out of warranty. My 2014 was fixed right away by a patient technician. I was three times in for the one in my current '19, although I can't really fault the tech. Somewhere along the line they changed the gasket material. Hopefully you'll get a good one.

Bests,
Dusty

Chrisburgess72

Reaction score
I hope it gets fixed for you he first time. I fixed the leak on my 2010 myself because it was out of warranty. My 2014 was fixed right away by a patient technician. I was three times in for the one in my current '19, although I can't really fault the tech. Somewhere along the line they changed the gasket material. Hopefully you'll get a good one.

Bests,
Dusty
My gasket is like a spongey foam material that is smooth to the touch. I don’t know what the new light assembly’s gasket is like?

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My gasket is like a spongey foam material that is smooth to the touch. I don’t know what the new light assembly’s gasket is like?
My two 4th gens used a black, closed cell foam. The 4th gens had only two mounting screws through the lens.

On my 5th gen the original lamp assembly had four mounting screws and a dark brown gasket material that appeared to be a different foam. The first replacement lamp assembly had the same dark brown gasket material with the addition of small plastic washers underneath the heads of the four mounting screws. I didn't have a chance to see the second replacement, so I don't know the exact configuration. However, that one still leaked and at that point they used sealant all around the lamp assembly and under the washers on the mounting screws, which fixed it.

Bests,
Dusty

Chrisburgess72

Reaction score
My two 4th gens used a black, closed cell foam. The 4th gens had only two mounting screws through the lens.

On my 5th gen the original lamp assembly had four mounting screws and a dark brown gasket material that appeared to be a different foam. The first replacement lamp assembly had the same dark brown gasket material with the addition of small plastic washers underneath the heads of the four mounting screws. I didn't have a chance to see the second replacement, so I don't know the exact configuration. However, that one still leaked and at that point they used sealant all around the lamp assembly and under the washers on the mounting screws, which fixed it.

Bests,
Dusty
This is what my truck came with and what is still on currently after being snuggled up by the dealership

Attachments

• 48C794AC-6B2A-43BF-AA2B-D444B20B9F82.png
    48C794AC-6B2A-43BF-AA2B-D444B20B9F82.png
    515 KB · Views: 87
  • 0FBE559E-8E2D-430B-AA90-96DBA2BD5BFB.png
    0FBE559E-8E2D-430B-AA90-96DBA2BD5BFB.png
    530.3 KB · Views: 85

Jdg3k9

Reaction score
I replaced my brake light myself and the part number that was stamped on the replacement was different then the one that came off the truck, so maybe something was improved. I'm guessing they original got warped just enough to keep it from sealing properly anymore.
Biga , i was out shopping and Found a 2019 ram 1500 big star and noticed the water mark in the headliner. Have you had a sufficient opportunity to tell whether your new part fixed the issue ?

Jorangel87

Reaction score
Thank you for the clarification. I’m hoping the repositioning of third brake light and proper tightening of the screws will eliminate any further issues
I just replaced the 3rd brake light gasket with a new thicker more of a rubber like gasket rather than the stock foam gasket, should be getting rain here sometime this week and will test it out hopefully the problem is fixed.

Chrisburgess72

Reaction score
I just replaced the 3rd brake light gasket with a new thicker more of a rubber like gasket rather than the stock foam gasket, should be getting rain here sometime this week and will test it out hopefully the problem is fixed.
Please keep me updated. Also where is your leak? Thank you

sports33chick

Reaction score
After several days of wind driven rain I noticed a huge water stain on the headliner just above the rear window. This was a common problem on 4th gen Rams. The 5th gen Rams now have four screws mounting the Center High Mounted Stop Light (CHMSL) lens cover to the cab. 4th gens only had two.

My dealer ordered a new CHMSL module and when the tech verified the leak he also discovered a STAR case addressing this issue:

STAR ONLINE PUBLICATION
Case Number: S1923000007
Release Date: 2/06/2019
Symptom/Vehicle Issue: Water leak at the upper Rear Sliding Back Glass or Fixed Glass Trim
Customer complaint/ technician observation: Water drips appear from the upper trim at above the rear slider or fixed back glass and drip/seep into the vehicle. technician has observed the same at the rear backlight/slider glass.
Discussion: Conditions of improper torque to the rear CHMSL may creat poor sealing at the rear cab third brake lamp. Loosen, reposition and tighten the rear CHMSL lamp assembly, test for leakage, not parts required.

So now that there are four screws instead of two, when installing or tightening the CHMSL the two inboard screws (closest to the center of the lamp assembly) must be tightened FIRST, then the outboard screws to ensure equalized compression of the gasket.

There's rain in the forecast so we'll see if this works. I should add that it never leaked going through the car wash.

Best regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 014228 miles.
Add another one to the list. I noticed my carpet was wet over the weekend but thought my carry ice chest had leaked , but today we had a hard down pour and saw the water leaking inside my cab. When j felt the carpet again it was soaked and in the corner where it was leaking. Called the dealership and I'm on the list.

Attachments

• 20210413_163826.jpg
    20210413_163826.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 20210413_164018.jpg
    20210413_164018.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 45

Chrisburgess72

Reaction score
Add another one to the list. I noticed my carpet was wet over the weekend but thought my carry ice chest had leaked , but today we had a hard down pour and saw the water leaking inside my cab. When j felt the carpet again it was soaked and in the corner where it was leaking. Called the dealership and I'm on the list.
Hello Sports33,

I have the same exact issue. My passenger side corner is leaking. Not very much and sometimes you can’t tell unless I poke for it with my finger and I get some drops to become visible right where your photos water line starts up top. I took off the brake light and I dripped water behind it. The water went straight down the sliding glass window on the inside of the cab. The picture on the Right shows my leak, same exact spot as yours. And picture the on the Left shows where I dripped water behind the brake light, indicated with the YELLOW arrow.

IF this was a brake light leak I would have water on my sliding window. Not just in the corner. So this has to be an issue with the main window seal around the corner area that’s leaking.

The dealership will first say the brake light. If it’s still leaking after they “adjust it” then they will consider it the main window seal and opt to replace it. I wanted to ensure it was in fact the main window seal by preforming this water test to eliminate unnecessarily replacing the entire rear window.

Attachments

• EA28F0BA-5411-4983-AF5D-DE14487C8238.jpeg
    EA28F0BA-5411-4983-AF5D-DE14487C8238.jpeg
    271.3 KB · Views: 56
  • FE2C916F-301C-4783-A441-86AFBC0E5B4B.jpeg
    FE2C916F-301C-4783-A441-86AFBC0E5B4B.jpeg
    215.3 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread