5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water Pump has been backordered of over a month!

RDHose

Reaction score
So I have a 2020 1500 Bighorn with the 5.7 Hemi and my water pump has been leaking.

The issue started with a weird high pitched noise coming from the pump. The dealer thought it was the barring so they ordered a new pump and had it replaced (this was back in mid october of 2021). After they replaced the pump (they also replaced the thermostat) I started to notice a smell of antifreeze and drips on the garage floor that were of antifreeze. So I brought it back and they said they would replace the upper hose and clamp as they think it was the hose leaking. So we are into mid november now, and they finally got the parts in. They replaced them and the smell never really went away completely, but I did not notice any additional spots in the driveway. So when I went in for my oil change in the beginning of January I brought it up and they could smell the antifreeze. They said that they "think it is the pump that is leaking" and ordered my a new pump and thermostat once again. The smell is getting worse and worse and after a few weeks I decide to follow up and ask on a status. They told me it would be in by January 27th. Then it got pushed to the following week (think it was February 3rd). Then I was told it got pushed to the 21st but check in as it could update. Well the following week I followed up and was given a new date of the 14th (they do not get shipments on Mondays though) so I was told it could be on the 12th or the 15th it would be in. That leads me to today. I called in and was told the 21st which means it could be tomorrow or the 22nd. I have my doubts.

I am so waiting for the pump to just blow out one of these days. Are parts really that far backordered? Especially ones that are pretty much critical to the vehicle's operation?

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Everything is backordered and supply chains are a mess. The same part that you need for a repair, they need to build a new truck. Have you tried reaching out to @RamCares to see if they can assist? On a side note, I find it odd that a water pump failed again that quickly. I'm not saying it isn't possible but find it odd. I'd also think that you'd be able to see the trail and find where the coolant is coming from instead of "thinking" its the water pump.

RDHose

Reaction score
I have not reached out to @RamCares (yet). I too find it odd, and to be honest I am guessing it is just a seal. I was planning on bringing it to a different dealer, and they suggested since the part is on order to wait until it is replaced. Then if I have any issues to bring it to them. The only place I initially saw coolant dripping looked like it was more near the radiator itself but is was in a place I could not get to. But that is prior to the hose being replaced. Now I cannot see any trail, by the pump (and could not before either) but I can clearly smell antifreeze. (Or as my daughter says it smells like pancakes!)

RDHose

Reaction score
Just pushed to the 24th, and was told that they see a shipment number on it (which I was also told a few weeks back). So I still have my doubts. just hoping the pump does not blow out while I sit and wait.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have not reached out to @RamCares (yet). I too find it odd, and to be honest I am guessing it is just a seal. I was planning on bringing it to a different dealer, and they suggested since the part is on order to wait until it is replaced. Then if I have any issues to bring it to them. The only place I initially saw coolant dripping looked like it was more near the radiator itself but is was in a place I could not get to. But that is prior to the hose being replaced. Now I cannot see any trail, by the pump (and could not before either) but I can clearly smell antifreeze. (Or as my daughter says it smells like pancakes!)
Hi,
We responded to your message, please take some time to review it and get back with us at your earliest convenience.

Rob
Ram Cares

RDHose

Reaction score
UPDATE:

I was reached out to from one of Ram's Customer Care representatives. She gave me some basic information about the case and was told the same information that the dealer was telling me in regards to the lead times. In the meanwhile I spoke with a seperate dealer (where we recently purchased my wife's Jeep) and they said they would take a peek at the issue for me. "It's always good to have a second set of eyes". So they were looking at the issue and said there was clearly a leak they were just not 100% sure from where. So they performed a pressure test. They found that the hose that goes from the waterpump to the oil cooler system was the issue. They said it looks like the previous dealer used the wrong tool (pliers) to remove this hose when they originally replaced the water pump which damaged the hose. It is not the pump! So they ordered a replacement hose (which has a 3 week back order). They also did a temporary fix by cutting off the end of the fitting that was damaged, and just using a hose clamp in the meanwhile to stop the leak. So the issue is being resolved finally.

I called the initial dealer back and left a message with the Service Advisor that they can cancel the order, and do whatever they need on their end. I mentioned that when buying my wife's vehicle that they said they would look at mine just as another set of eyes, I also told them that they found that it was not the pump but a different hose that needs to be replaced. and they are taking care of it. They have not responded (nor do I expect them to).

I also informed the Ram Customer Care rep of this. Customer Care responded by closing the case and said thanks for letting them address my concern. So I guess that is that.

At least it is not leaking anymore and is actually being resolved!

CrazyWorld

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A real shame you had to go through all that......you'd think the 1st dealer would step up and offer you something for the hassle.....free oil change....something.......customer service is a lost art. Glad you gor her fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread