5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water leaking inside cab on 2019 RAM

wie5jim4

Reaction score
After 4 dealer attempts to locate and fix an interior water leak inside our 2019 RAM crew cab with a panoramic sunroof and sliding rear window.

Symptom: wet carpet underneath rear seats.

Dealer visit 1: replaced rear window. Symptom returned immediately after 1st 20 minute rain

Dealer visit 2: third brake light re-sealed. Symptom returned immediately after 1st 20 minute rain

Dealer visit 3: dealer found leaking seam on back of cab. Symptom returned immediately after 1st 20 minute rain

Dealer visit 4: dealer never said what they found if anything but after 2 weeks of repeated attempts to duplicate issue, report was it was fixed. Symptom returned immediately after 1st 20 minute rain

Joined this forum group while researching drains in panoramic sunroof. Oh one mention on the parking location where our RAM sits. The parking lot is slightly angled so that the vehicle rake is barely cab high, level on bed shows bubble on line indicating front is elevated. I have a pic showing angle, I feel it's important since the issue I found was clearly with the 2 rear drain lines.

So while vehicle is parked in its normal spot, I took a highly calibrated turkey baster and injected water into the track on top rear left and rear right of the sunroof. Watching the water drain between the rear of the cab and bed I saw water trickling out of the passenger side drain, felt it was weak however, may be somewhat restricted. On the driver's side there was only a drop or two of water after a few minutes. We also noted water droplets inside the cab on the rear seat. I added a few more turkey basters of water and then bingo! Water streamed inside the cab through the rear theater or microphone (not sure what it is) see video to see where to inject water. Good luck, dealer visit 5 up and coming.

Attachments

• 20230409_135404.jpg
    20230409_135404.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 106
  • Screenshot_20230409_182737_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230409_182737_Gallery.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 108
  • Screenshot_20230409_182846_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230409_182846_Gallery.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 107
  • Screenshot_20230409_182908_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230409_182908_Gallery.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 108

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I dont have any sunroof but i heard that there are drains that can clog causing water leaks. Also the roof mounted antenna is also a culprit. I believe the antenna can be accessed by removing the brake light. For $h!ts and giggles, use some 3 inch painters masking tape and tape off the antenna where it contacts the roof and get the garden hose out and start spraying to see if you still get water pouring into the cab.

jkm312

Reaction score
The antenna sits a little elevated and the roof contour drains down and away over the brake light seal. My brake light leaked shortly in the 2nd year of ownership.
Another possible source would be the seam between where the cab sides meet the cab body under the black strip that covers the seam on top of the cab. My suggestion would be to mask all 3 off, antenna, sunroof, and cab seals with 3 inch masking tape. Simulate a rain shower with a hose and sprinkler. With all 3 taped up and it stays dry, remove one of the 3 at a time until one of the 3 starts to leak. Might be able to give the body shop at the dealer a little something more to go on.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
After 4 dealer attempts to locate and fix an interior water leak inside our 2019 RAM crew cab with a panoramic sunroof and sliding rear window.

Dealer visit 1: replaced rear window. Symptom returned immediately after 1st 20 minute rain

Dealer visit 2: third brake light re-sealed. Symptom returned immediately after 1st 20 minute rain

Dealer visit 3: dealer found leaking seam on back of cab. Symptom returned immediately after 1st 20 minute rain

Dealer visit 4: dealer never said what they found if anything but after 2 weeks of repeated attempts to duplicate issue, report was it was fixed. Symptom returned immediately after 1st 20 minute rain

Joined this forum group while researching drains in panoramic sunroof. Oh one mention on the parking location where our RAM sits. The parking lot is slightly angled so that the vehicle rake is barely cab high, level on bed shows bubble on line indicating front is elevated. I have a pic showing angle, I feel it's important since the issue I found was clearly with the 2 rear drain lines.

So while vehicle is parked in its normal spot, I took a highly calibrated turkey baster and injected water into the track on top rear left and rear right of the sunroof. Watching the water drain between the rear of the cab and bed I saw water trickling out of the passenger side drain, felt it was weak however, may be somewhat restricted. On the driver's side there was only a drop or two of water after a few minutes. We also noted water droplets inside the cab on the rear seat. I added a few more turkey basters of water and then bingo! Water streamed inside the cab through the rear theater or microphone (not sure what it is) see video to see where to inject water. Good luck, dealer visit 5 up and coming.
Hey there,

We are terribly sorry to see that you've had this lingering concern with your truck. We'd love to get you some assistance at your next dealership appointment. Would you mind sending us a direct message with your dealership appointment date so we can see how we can assist.

Callie
Ram Cares

Mcnichol

Reaction score

Did you ever get a resolution on this?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
If it’s not the rear window or the CHMSL I’d check the shark fin, sun roof, or under the rubber strips that run along the length of the cab on both sides of the roof

Anderson18

Reaction score
Hey there,

We are terribly sorry to see that you've had this lingering concern with your truck. We'd love to get you some assistance at your next dealership appointment. Would you mind sending us a direct message with your dealership appointment date so we can see how we can assist.

Callie
Ram Cares
I am having an issue with my brake light/rear window area, leaking into the headliner, and I am getting nowhere with the dealership. Can you help me?

Anderson18

Reaction score
I am having an issue with my 2019 ram rear brake light/ rear window leaking and can’t get the dealership to help me. I have a platinum lifetime warranty. Can you help me?

RamCares

Reaction score
I am having an issue with my 2019 ram rear brake light/ rear window leaking and can’t get the dealership to help me. I have a platinum lifetime warranty. Can you help me?

Hello,

Please send us a PM with your information, we will look further into this for you. Thank you

William
Ram Cares

Attaboy

Reaction score
I just had the third brake light replaced from the dealer under warranty. My headliner is soaked across the back along the window and I stil have a leak on the seat. Dealer said the window wasn’t covered under warranty and referred me to a local shop. I’m going to put some butyl tape under the shark fin and permatex the gap on the inside of the third brake light, along the top and sides of the rear window.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The headliner shouldn't get wet if the window is leaking. Isn't your headliner above the window? That tells me it's either the 3rd brake light, the shark fin or a crack in the body seam seal under the roof trim.

Attaboy

Reaction score
I’ll be looking at the roof too. We park n a decline (front pointing down) at work and it sees in that way and spreads across the headliner. I’m really thinking that this will k be my last Mopar product at this rate.

dxbadboy

Reaction score

I know it's several years later. But have you had any luck? I recently purchased a 2019 And i'm experiencing exactly what you're going through back then... Can you send me a message and let me know what your final solution was?

cxk297ck

Reaction score
I wanted to post here to say I am having similar issues with paint & seal along back window & bed seam. I had is "documented & repaired immediately buy dealer. I just noticed the other day its even worse not 3 yrs later. I haven't noticed water leaking but the seal and paint are chipping and rusting the bare metal now. See images...

2019_2500_Ram_Longhorn_Left_Side.jpg 2019_2500_Ram_Longhorn_Right_Side.jpg

2019 Ram 2500 Longhorn - 9K Miles.

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
It looks like they just added some paint instead of getting to bare metal, prepping, then painting.

RamCares

Reaction score
Hello @cxk297ck!

Our team has since responded to your private message and are eager to reconnect. Also, @dxbadboy, if you are also still experiencing similar water leaking concerns, then please send our team a private message with your vehicle's model year and mileage. Thank you!

Hannah
Ram Cares

Users who are viewing this thread