5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water leak from rear window.

Jonz

Reaction score
So I have a 2019 ram 1500 with water leaking from the rear window passenger side. It has 46k on it so I'm out of warranty. Just for my dealer to attempt to figure out where it's coming from, its like 250. And I'm seeing to get it fixed can be up over 2k. I dont like the idea of possibly spending 2k+$ to get it "fixed" with the same thing that failed in just 3 years. Anyone know if simply taking clear caulk/silicone to just everything (window, antena, third brake light etc...) would work?

Just to clarify. I don't mean disassemble them and replace the oem seals with silicone, but rather apply it around the edges to fill the break in the oem seal.

Last edited:

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Search the forum there are many threads on this. I’ll post the links for you later if I have time

petersandler

Reaction score
So I have a 2019 ram 1500 with water leaking from the rear window passenger side. It has 46k on it so I'm out of warranty. Just for my dealer to attempt to figure out where it's coming from, its like 250. And I'm seeing to get it fixed can be up over 2k. I dont like the idea of possibly spending 2k+$ to get it "fixed" with the same thing that failed in just 3 years. Anyone know if simply taking clear caulk/silicone to just everything (window, antena, third brake light etc...) would work?

Just to clarify. I don't mean disassemble them and replace the oem seals with silicone, but rather apply it around the edges to fill the break in the oem seal.
I just had my 2022 with 8500 miles on it in for service because after a recent heavy rainstorm I came out to find water on the rear seat floor and the headliner wet in the rear of the car. I thought it was from the sunroof drains but they said it was from the rear window seal. They gave me two options: 1) a new rear window which would take months because of backorder status, or 2) they would seal the leak with silicone. I opted for #2.

Kianusch

Reaction score
Hi from Germany,

I highly recommend you to change the rear window. My 2021 Laramie had that water leak too and I first tried to seal it, but unfortunately that doesn’t work very well.

Eddparra

Reaction score

I had same issue and same side. They had to replace my rear window because they said it had a slight crack on it.
I think they should make that a recall problem, seems like a lot of people are having that issue.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I had same issue and same side. They had to replace my rear window because they said it had a slight crack on it.
I think they should make that a recall problem, seems like a lot of people are having that issue.
It won’t be a recall unless it’s a safety issue cause bodily harm or death

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I just had my 2022 with 8500 miles on it in for service because after a recent heavy rainstorm I came out to find water on the rear seat floor and the headliner wet in the rear of the car. I thought it was from the sunroof drains but they said it was from the rear window seal. They gave me two options: 1) a new rear window which would take months because of backorder status, or 2) they would seal the leak with silicone. I opted for #2.
So instead of replacing the window they are just "sealing" it and sending you on your way? Is it a temporary "fix" until they get the window in or is that their solution to the problem?

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
If you're out of warranty then there is possibly another way to get it fixed without costing you much out of pocket. There's a little thing your insurance company has called "glass coverage". I would check your policy to make sure it's on it then I'd crack the window and let the insurance company replace it. One thing I will say is don't call your insurance company to inquire about it and then 2 days later call and make the claim. That might look a little too suspicious lol

Alejandro_Andretti

Reaction score
My dealership ordered a replacement window with no time frame, but they said if I try and seal it it’ll void my warranty so I put black duct tape around th light, roof molding and above the rear windows

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
My dealership ordered a replacement window with no time frame, but they said if I try and seal it it’ll void my warranty so I put black duct tape around th light, roof molding and above the rear windows
If they already diagnosed the leak was coming from the window then how would the sealer void the warranty? The only thing I can think of would be the added sealer would make it a little more difficult for them to replace the window but I call bull$hit on voiding the warranty. If they told me that I would've said "ok, then you will be replacing anything that continues to get wet and eventually moldy from the water that they don't want to stop from coming in, including any electrical damage".

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey there!

If you're looking for assistance with your rear window leak, please send us a direct message. We'd love to get you some help.

Callie
Ram Cares

petersandler

Reaction score
So instead of replacing the window they are just "sealing" it and sending you on your way? Is it a temporary "fix" until they get the window in or is that their solution to the problem?
That’s it unless it leaks again. They did a nice job. The way the window sits you can’t see any sealant unless you put your eye right up to the window

homedad

Reaction score
Is this the back glass on the passenger side? My Laramie sits in the garage 95% of it's life so I haven't really looked.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Leaks can happen anywhere on the rear window. But the most common issue seems to occur at the top of the vertical frames for the rear slider. The plastic surround cracks in these locations, which allows water to get into the cab. The OP seems to be having issues with the passenger side rear glass. But there are multiple threads about the rear window cracks in these forums.

Alejandro_Andretti

Reaction score
How the hell would sealing it void warranty? I call BS @RamCares
If they already diagnosed the leak was coming from the window then how would the sealer void the warranty? The only thing I can think of would be the added sealer would make it a little more difficult for them to replace the window but I call bull$hit on voiding the warranty. If they told me that I would've said "ok, then you will be replacing anything that continues to get wet and eventually moldy from the water that they don't want to stop from coming in, including any electrical damage".
Yea that’s what I’m thinking too. I’ll be messaging ramcares to help expedite the glass

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Leaks can happen anywhere on the rear window. But the most common issue seems to occur at the top of the vertical frames for the rear slider. The plastic surround cracks in these locations, which allows water to get into the cab. The OP seems to be having issues with the passenger side rear glass. But there are multiple threads about the rear window cracks in these forums.
I'm wondering if the motor is too strong when it's opening and closing. Maybe when it gets to the limits, it's somehow torquing the frame to cause the crack.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm wondering if the motor is too strong when it's opening and closing. Maybe when it gets to the limits, it's somehow torquing the frame to cause the crack.
it does seems to be stronger then my 2014 was, i noted that when i first use it, the slaming sound it make when fully closed

Users who are viewing this thread