5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Washer Fluid Sensor Reliability

834k3r

Reaction score
So mine's gone bad after only 11 months (~14K miles) on the road. Just how prevalent is this issue?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There used to be an issue with rain x fluid forming a film over the sensor, but I haven’t heard about that happening anymore in years.

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve seen a lot of people have issues with the sensors if they use any type of washer fluid besides the typical blue stuff.

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A few years back, any washer fluid with rain-x or rain-x type additive ruined the sensors. They've supposedly updated the sensor, but its not a common issue. You could try the search bar here or maybe google. Warranty or a pretty easy fix and the sensor was 20 or 30 bucks hen I had to swap the one in my Jeep.

834k3r

Reaction score
let us know what the dealer says it if is under warranty which it should be based on your statement
Will do.

I don't remember using RainX in the reservoir, but I certainly could have. Using "straight blue stuff" as suggested is not a possibility up here where it freezes.

I can find nowhere in the owner's manual to avoid certain kinds/types/brands of washer fluid, so I'm confident this will be replaced via warranty. I'll update this thread when I get done with the dealership (appointment is Monday).

mxz

Reaction score
I’ve seen a lot of people have issues with the sensors if they use any type of washer fluid besides the typical blue stuff.
My 2019 Rebel had this sensor issue a few times after using Rain X and it only happened when temperature was below freezing. Went back to the blue stuff and the problem went away.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Will do.

I don't remember using RainX in the reservoir, but I certainly could have. Using "straight blue stuff" as suggested is not a possibility up here where it freezes.

I can find nowhere in the owner's manual to avoid certain kinds/types/brands of washer fluid, so I'm confident this will be replaced via warranty. I'll update this thread when I get done with the dealership (appointment is Monday).
The "blue stuff" I buy is good for something like -20 F. How cold does it get where you live?

834k3r

Reaction score
The "blue stuff" I buy is good for something like -20 F. How cold does it get where you live?
The blue stuff up here isn't anti-freeze. Usually it's purple or orange or some other color--who knows why--but maybe I just need to open my eyes a bit more.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The blue stuff up here isn't anti-freeze. Usually it's purple or orange or some other color--who knows why--but maybe I just need to open my eyes a bit more.
You never answered my question about how cold it gets where you live. No problem if you don't want to say, I was just curious. I'll have to take a look at the bottle when I get home to be sure, but I'm pretty sure I bought it from Wal-Mart.

834k3r

Reaction score
You never answered my question about how cold it gets where you live. No problem if you don't want to say, I was just curious. I'll have to take a look at the bottle when I get home to be sure, but I'm pretty sure I bought it from Wal-Mart.
I'm careful about putting too much in public; no offense was intended. I'm far enough north it gets below freezing for months--though -20 would be extreme.

The stuff at our Walmart isn't anti-freeze (I checked; it says "summer blend" on the bottle), so I typically end up using the AutoZone or O'Reilly store brand stuff that are appropriate for the winters.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm careful about putting too much in public; no offense was intended. I'm far enough north it gets below freezing for months--though -20 would be extreme.

The stuff at our Walmart isn't anti-freeze (I checked; it says "summer blend" on the bottle), so I typically end up using the AutoZone or O'Reilly store brand stuff that are appropriate for the winters.
Just like Mikeur82, I use the blue stuff which is good down to -20 F. I have seen the summer version of the blue stuff that isn't anti-freeze.

I don't think you'll have any black helicopters fly over your house if you said, "I live in Upstate New York". 🙄
Screenshot_20191226-115243_Chrome.jpg

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
When my fluid stops coming out of the sprayer I know it's gone 😝. First world problems.
There you go. Old school sensor. I like it.

Now there is a sensor for everything. A sensor to tell me my tailgate is down? Like I can't see that. One to tell someone they are drifting across lanes of traffic? Look up from the phone a minute!

What have pickup trucks become? Joe Diffie is turning over in his grave.....

Idahoktm

Reaction score
There you go. Old school sensor. I like it.

Now there is a sensor for everything. A sensor to tell me my tailgate is down? Like I can't see that. One to tell someone they are drifting across lanes of traffic? Look up from the phone a minute!

What have pickup trucks become? Joe Diffie is turning over in his grave.....
I was thinking the same thing about the tailgate sensor until I saw that AlfaOBD thread about enabling it. I can see the tailgate in my rearview mirror in the daytime but not at night. If I had LED lights in the cargo fixture, I would probably be able to see it, but LED's in that fixture seem to be a box of chocolates. Also, guys with tonneau covers can't see the tailgate. Back in the old days, you didn't need a sensor because if the tailgate opened while you were driving, you could feel it slam open. These new trucks with the tailgate dampers are so smooth, there's no way you would know it dropped.

I have to say, I like the windshield fluid low level warning too. On my older trucks, it seemed I would run out at the most inopportune time...just as I was about to hit the freeway on a winter day, eating the slush sprayed up from semi trucks.

blind prophet

Reaction score
There used to be an issue with rain x fluid forming a film over the sensor, but I haven’t heard about that happening anymore in years.
My wifes durango will turn on the washer fluid light with any fluid other than regular blue. so far i have ran rain x washer fluid in my truck and had no issue

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My wifes durango will turn on the washer fluid light with any fluid other than regular blue. so far i have ran rain x washer fluid in my truck and had no issue
The exact same sensor is used on all 2008+ Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, Ram vehicles.

Grimgreg

Reaction score
I usually buy the purple from Menards, no issues in my wife's Infiniti QX30 (Mercedes GLA250). It is rated at -32°, so no frozen washer fluid in Ohio. I have yet to get my Ram, but will post if the purple causes issues.

Users who are viewing this thread