5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Washer Fluid Sensor Reliability

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing about the tailgate sensor until I saw that AlfaOBD thread about enabling it. I can see the tailgate in my rearview mirror in the daytime but not at night. If I had LED lights in the cargo fixture, I would probably be able to see it, but LED's in that fixture seem to be a box of chocolates. Also, guys with tonneau covers can't see the tailgate. Back in the old days, you didn't need a sensor because if the tailgate opened while you were driving, you could feel it slam open. These new trucks with the tailgate dampers are so smooth, there's no way you would know it dropped.

I have to say, I like the windshield fluid low level warning too. On my older trucks, it seemed I would run out at the most inopportune time...just as I was about to hit the freeway on a winter day, eating the slush sprayed up from semi trucks.
Agree about running out at the most inopportune time. I always keep an extra bottle in the truck, especially during the winter.

Last edited:

834k3r

Reaction score
Just like Mikeur82, I use the blue stuff which is good down to -20 F. I have seen the summer version of the blue stuff that isn't anti-freeze.

I don't think you'll have any black helicopters fly over your house if you said, "I live in Upstate New York". 🙄
OT, but I minimize what I put out there because there are some crazies out there. Not here of course (Ram owners are not crazy) but not everyone on the interwebz is stable.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
OT, but I minimize what I put out there because there are some crazies out there. Not here of course (Ram owners are not crazy) but not everyone on the interwebz is stable.
Hey, just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean "they" aren't out to get me. :p

No, I get it. Lots of us post what we've done to our trucks here, including things like firearms storage solutions, aftermarket goodies, expensive tire/wheel packages. It's not that difficult to google stalk someone to find out their exact address with even a minimum amount of information. It's why I list my location as "The Palouse".

834k3r

Reaction score
Report from the dealership: as most other fluid sensors, it measures fluid level via voltage. As the voltage changes when the fluid level drops, the sensor sends a signal to the BCM via a harness that goes through 6 (!) connectors before it gets to the BCM. The shop took a volt meter to the sensor--and it was fine. Each of the harness connectors was fine. Signal into the BCM was fine. Signal out from the BCM was not fine.

New BCM ordered and it will be covered under warranty.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Report from the dealership: as most other fluid sensors, it measures fluid level via voltage. As the voltage changes when the fluid level drops, the sensor sends a signal to the BCM via a harness that goes through 6 (!) connectors before it gets to the BCM. The shop took a volt meter to the sensor--and it was fine. Each of the harness connectors was fine. Signal into the BCM was fine. Signal out from the BCM was not fine.

New BCM ordered and it will be covered under warranty.
Well…not quite 6 connectors:
B6C7ED57-5F05-4BEE-91FF-0431B5FF2953.jpeg

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing about the tailgate sensor until I saw that AlfaOBD thread about enabling it. I can see the tailgate in my rearview mirror in the daytime but not at night. If I had LED lights in the cargo fixture, I would probably be able to see it, but LED's in that fixture seem to be a box of chocolates. Also, guys with tonneau covers can't see the tailgate. Back in the old days, you didn't need a sensor because if the tailgate opened while you were driving, you could feel it slam open. These new trucks with the tailgate dampers are so smooth, there's no way you would know it dropped.

I have to say, I like the windshield fluid low level warning too. On my older trucks, it seemed I would run out at the most inopportune time...just as I was about to hit the freeway on a winter day, eating the slush sprayed up from semi trucks.
Yep. With my tonneau cover, I cannot see my tailgate. And, I added some weatherstripping around my tailgate, so it takes a harder push to lock it, sometimes I don't fully latch it. That sensor helps for that. FWIW.

MidnightExpre$$

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There used to be an issue with rain x fluid forming a film over the sensor, but I haven’t heard about that happening anymore in years.
I had a problem with the sensor on my 2014 Ram and my wife's VW Passat. I took my Ram in and they replaced the sensor. When I brought it back for the same problem a week later they asked if I used RainX. They said it was a well known issue with Rainx and would not be able to continually replace the sensor. I decided to live with the light on the dash instead of go back to the blue stuff

Users who are viewing this thread