5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warranty work

Jake103

Reaction score
I worked in the dealership not ram but GM and warranty work sucked. Some labor times for repairs on warranty work seemed outrageous. I agree with Richard320 you can get very fast at recalls, thats where you can make your money. I dont know a lot of techs who liked warranty work ever. Sure you can actually come out ahead if you do a certain recall enough. Some recalls straight up suck as well. Most of the time though the times for warranty are about half if not less than what regular time would be.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Maybe things have changed, but when I was a tech I made money on warranty work, mainly for two reasons (3 if you count the fact that I actually liked working ;)): Warranty jobs were repetitive, so the more of each repair you did the better/faster you got at them; Second, most of the vehicles that came in for warranty work were in better condition than many of the CP jobs - Generally newer vehicles with less rust, damage, etc.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Factor in Stellantis dealerships sold way more RAMs, Jeeps and Chargers/Challengers than they expected these last few years, and you have a dealership service network that is basically slammed and the first thing out the door in that case in the customer service. The phone calls on status, the ordering of parts, the general interest and care about your vehicle.

If you look at most dealership satisfaction surveys across all brands, guess which network you find near the bottom of the list?

I remember bringing my Rebel in for my first service, the first question out of the service advisors mouth was if my maintenance computer said it was needed? I said no, and he essentially told me to go home. I had 4,500 miles and wanted an early oil change, he did his best to dissuade me. The service line was full, and can guess why. Then I tried to schedule my driver's floormat recall, I tried to arrange between 2-3 dealerships several times, none of them called me back to confirm anything, I said screw it.

If I can barely get them to do an oil change, I can't imagine what a warranty repair under RAM's dime will look like. Since then I've been doing my own oil services, mainly because I honestly don't trust it will be done right. They will likely have their bottom of the totem pole tech, who is likely overworked do my oil change. I think I can do it myself better.
I called the local dealership this week to have them take a look at an issue and was told to pound sand, they were booking for mid-March appointments, nothing available before then. This will definitely affect my future truck purchases.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I called the local dealership this week to have them take a look at an issue and was told to pound sand, they were booking for mid-March appointments, nothing available before then. This will definitely affect my future truck purchases.
Call back for fun and tell them you want to get maintenance done, brakes grinding, and then see what they tell you.

SD Rebel

Reaction score

I agree, this servicing issue is the worst I've seen from any manufacturer.

I love my Rebel, it's honestly one of the best vehicles I've owned for the first 3 years, and I've owned many different makes including premium cars, I love this one and plan on keeping it at least until the next gen arrives in the next 3-4 years.

However, when that time comes, if RAM/Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler service is still at the bottom of the rankings, I may just switch back to Ford or even Chevrolet which is near the top of the service rankings. To always have to worry in the back of my mind about having to go back to the dealer and having a hard time is something I don't want to deal with, especially for minor regular service.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
CDJR dealers are all independently owned. Not all have bad service departments. It's not a Ram issue, it's a dealer, or technician issue.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
CDJR dealers are all independently owned. Not all have bad service departments. It's not a Ram issue, it's a dealer, or technician issue.
That's true, but it IS still a Ram issue in the end. If I'm dropping $70k on a vehicle, but can never get warranty work done I will be looking at other makes. I don't necessarily expect same day service, but 3 months is absurd.

SD Rebel

Reaction score

Sure, but they are franchised and they all have similar issues with recent sales volume they now have to service.

They have been as a group at or near the bottom of dealership service ratings for the last few years.

Sure, you can have some good ones, but as a group, the trend has shown below average in the industry. What's interesting is their sales ratings are great, one of the top, that fact their service is so low shows they are selling more than they can handle.

Servicing our Ford or Toyota is so much better than any experience I've tried at 3 of my local RAM dealers. Luckily, I have one opening right down the street soon, hopefully they can change my mind.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sure, but they are franchised and they all have similar issues with recent sales volume they now have to service.

They have been as a group at or near the bottom of dealership service ratings for the last few years.

Sure, you can have some good ones, but as a group, the trend has shown below average in the industry. What's interesting is their sales ratings are great, one of the top, that fact their service is so low shows they are selling more than they can handle.

Servicing our Ford or Toyota is so much better than any experience I've tried at 3 of my local RAM dealers. Luckily, I have one opening right down the street soon, hopefully they can change my mind.
Is the Ram dealership owned by the same people that own the Ford or Toyota dealers? I will say its not like that everywhere. If the dealer can't see they need to expand it is completely on the dealership not the manufacturer. Where I am we added 10 stalls 3 years ago and are about to add 8 more.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Is the Ram dealership owned by the same people that own the Ford or Toyota dealers? I will say its not like that everywhere. If the dealer can't see they need to expand it is completely on the dealership not the manufacturer. Where I am we added 10 stalls 3 years ago and are about to add 8 more.

Could be, not sure, there are like 5 dealerships of each around my area.

They need to expand, but San Diego is a well developed city, many of these dealerships are in areas where expansion isn't really possible.

Stellantis stated they are going to put more focus on customer service over sales on the service side, not sure how dealers will respond to that.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

The local CDJR dealers to me are better than the closer Chevy dealers for maintenance or warranty work. Luckily my wife's Traverse hasn't needed much maintenance. We have up on one issue, noise from 2nd row seats, because the dealer said they couldn't find the issue and blamed out aftermarket all weather floor mats. Even though it still made the noise with them removed.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
The local CDJR dealers to me are better than the closer Chevy dealers for maintenance or warranty work. Luckily my wife's Traverse hasn't needed much maintenance. We have up on one issue, noise from 2nd row seats, because the dealer said they couldn't find the issue and blamed out aftermarket all weather floor mats. Even though it still made the noise with them removed.

Absolutely, I'm sure there are plenty of good CDJR dealers out there, just none of them near me.

I am a very lazy person, and the fact I do my own oil changes on my RAM should tell you how I don't trust my local dealer network. All my other non-Stellantis vehicles go to the dealership.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Absolutely, I'm sure there are plenty of good CDJR dealers out there, just none of them near me.

I am a very lazy person, and the fact I do my own oil changes on my RAM should tell you how I don't trust my local dealer network. All my other non-Stellantis vehicles go to the dealership.
When I was stationed in San Diego, we bought a 2007 Caliber from San Diego Dodge in National City, just Google mapped it and looks like that dealer is now Perry Chrysler. I was happy with the service department then, but we did end up having to do a buy back on it for electrical issues causing battery drain. But the service department was good to work with, and the dealer was on our side through the buy back process. It went really smooth

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
My selling dealer has been great with the warranty work I needed done. Even when they misdiagnosed a problem they immediately took care of it and I was able to pick up my truck the next day. The next day was because of my work schedule not their fault. I'm not partial to any brand of vehicle but they all have their issues. Now with parts shortages and staffing issues it's amplified.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I guess I did ok. I bought mine and haven't done a thing at a dealer. I own the suspension since I had a lift thrown on right away.

Besides that I guess I don't sweat every tiny squeek or sound. Sure, I get the wind noise at the door seal. I have not heard a shining success story of a dealer fixing that yet.

I drive it. I have an independent shop do maintenance. Never flashed the computer, worked on air leaks, messed with ANC, worried about little phantom sounds you have to strain to hear. Just change oil and drive. Oh yea, constantly put gas in it! 😄

gofishn

Reaction score
Just a general question. Do dealerships not like to do warranty work because they get paid less back from RAM? I know reading on forums in a small percentage of owners but seems like everyone gets the run around.

Also for anyone the bought from Mark Dodge and live in the greater Houston area which dealership have you used for any work if needed

Thanks
Warranty pays them significantly less than retail. add in th fact that everyone wants to make ore moeny, for same amount of work or effort and you end up with dealerships representatives pushing you to pay and outrageous amount, rather than warrantyos they can pocket a few more pennies in their own personal paycheck.

6of36

Reaction score
As a former Chrysler dealership mechanic, from before many of you were born, I did a lot of warranty work. Probably 90% of the work I did was warranty. Customer pay was preferred, because the time books are different. Being a good customer helps get good work. Warranty does not pay diagnosis time. A mechanic is not going to spend an hour, not getting paid, to try and figure out what noise in front end means. Explain as completely as possible, the circumstances that cause problems. Let them know, it only happens while braking and turning left on bumps. Tell them if it is a rattle or squeak. If the mechanic doesn't know exactly what the problem is, he may not duplicate it. Make sure your service advisor writes down exactly what you say. I have had them write things wrong when I have taken vehicles in. I agree, some dealerships are better than others. I have 6 Ram dealers within 10 miles. 2 I will not deal with. I choose the one that I go to, and they are fantastic. Even though I bought elsewhere, when I take it in, which may take a week or two, depending on what needs fixing, and their workload at the time, I feel almost like family. They will shuttle me home, and pick me up when my vehicle was done. One time it took longer than expected, because they forgot the tech was going to be gone half a day. They picked me up to go get a free loaner for the weekend. I have been satisfied with the service there every time. I'm sure there are bad techs at bad dealerships, you need to find the best one in your area. Most mechanics still take the same pride and workmanship, customer pay, or warranty.

Reaction score
Factor in Stellantis dealerships sold way more RAMs, Jeeps and Chargers/Challengers than they expected these last few years, and you have a dealership service network that is basically slammed and the first thing out the door in that case in the customer service. The phone calls on status, the ordering of parts, the general interest and care about your vehicle.

If you look at most dealership satisfaction surveys across all brands, guess which network you find near the bottom of the list?

I remember bringing my Rebel in for my first service, the first question out of the service advisors mouth was if my maintenance computer said it was needed? I said no, and he essentially told me to go home. I had 4,500 miles and wanted an early oil change, he did his best to dissuade me. The service line was full, and can guess why. Then I tried to schedule my driver's floormat recall, I tried to arrange between 2-3 dealerships several times, none of them called me back to confirm anything, I said screw it.

If I can barely get them to do an oil change, I can't imagine what a warranty repair under RAM's dime will look like. Since then I've been doing my own oil services, mainly because I honestly don't trust it will be done right. They will likely have their bottom of the totem pole tech, who is likely overworked do my oil change. I think I can do it myself better.
Hi

I hope you don't mind me replying to this old message. I too am in San Diego and have a warranty repair issue. Had the same issue with dealerships. The issue isn't expensive and I don't care to deal with the dealerships over it. Do you know of a reputable independent mechanic in San Diego for RAMs?

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread