5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warranty work

Twil6

Reaction score
Just a general question. Do dealerships not like to do warranty work because they get paid less back from RAM? I know reading on forums in a small percentage of owners but seems like everyone gets the run around.

Also for anyone the bought from Mark Dodge and live in the greater Houston area which dealership have you used for any work if needed

Thanks

Last edited:

Loudram

Reaction score
I believe they do get paid less for warranty work but I might be wrong. As for getting the run around I guess it depends on what dealership you choose. Remember at the end you will get a survey and it appears that the dealership lives and dies by these surveys. They always beg you for high scores. Use that as leverage if you need to.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
All dealers no matter the brand of vehicle get paid less for warranty work. They would much rather have the customer pay the cost then get reimbursed by the manufacturer. That could be why dealers will say something is not covered. As far as getting the runaround, that would be up to the dealer you use. If you think the dealer is screwing you then find a different dealer

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can tell you, the techs love warranty work. It's guaranteed money, they get paid book time even if it takes them half the time to finish.
which encourages/requires them to cut corners, and it get worse on bring backs where they aren't getting paid for not doing it right the first time and it snowballs from there.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Factor in Stellantis dealerships sold way more RAMs, Jeeps and Chargers/Challengers than they expected these last few years, and you have a dealership service network that is basically slammed and the first thing out the door in that case in the customer service. The phone calls on status, the ordering of parts, the general interest and care about your vehicle.

If you look at most dealership satisfaction surveys across all brands, guess which network you find near the bottom of the list?

I remember bringing my Rebel in for my first service, the first question out of the service advisors mouth was if my maintenance computer said it was needed? I said no, and he essentially told me to go home. I had 4,500 miles and wanted an early oil change, he did his best to dissuade me. The service line was full, and can guess why. Then I tried to schedule my driver's floormat recall, I tried to arrange between 2-3 dealerships several times, none of them called me back to confirm anything, I said screw it.

If I can barely get them to do an oil change, I can't imagine what a warranty repair under RAM's dime will look like. Since then I've been doing my own oil services, mainly because I honestly don't trust it will be done right. They will likely have their bottom of the totem pole tech, who is likely overworked do my oil change. I think I can do it myself better.

Last edited:

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can tell you, the techs love warranty work. It's guaranteed money, they get paid book time even if it takes them half the time to finish.
Most techs do NOT love warranty work. For example RH exhaust manifold pays 1.9hrs warranty, customer pay time/ALLDATA time is 4.0hrs. Most techs want the customer pay work vs warranty work. The good techs will take whatever comes in and get it done regardless. This is the issue w/ "flat rate" pay systems. I love it and do well with it.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
That flat rate time in general. Warranty work is different

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That flat rate time in general. Warranty work is different
How is warranty work different? Most dealerships pay on the "flat rate" pay system. Some dealers pay their techs 1.5 times warranty time(2.0 warranty job pays the tech 3.0)

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
How is warranty work different? Most dealerships pay on the "flat rate" pay system. Some dealers pay their techs 1.5 times warranty time(2.0 warranty job pays the tech 3.0)
Yes if the warranty job pays 2 hours and the tech gets it done in 1 hour he stoll gets paid for the 2 hours but warranty work doesn't pay as much as book time. That's the difference

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes if the warranty job pays 2 hours and the tech gets it done in 1 hour he stoll gets paid for the 2 hours but warranty work doesn't pay as much as book time. That's the difference
It is the same, techs prefer "customer pay" work over warranty work all day. If a warranty job pays 2 hours and customer pay is 4 hours, what one would the tech prefer?

The techs do NOT prefer warranty over cp jobs, would you agree with that?

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I remember when my old man was a mechanic. He said they hated warranty work. They each had to take thier turn at the shop as it came in though. He said the same, how it did not pay the premium.

I didn't know the whole system other than the book hours. Literally, we had volumes of them in our garage at home. Things could be way different now but it does not sound like it.

70runner

Reaction score
If I can barely get them to do an oil change, I can't imagine what a warranty repair under RAM's dime will look like. Since then I've been doing my own oil services, mainly because I honestly don't trust it will be done right. They will likely have their bottom of the totem pole tech, who is likely overworked do my oil change. I think I can do it myself better.
Absolutely. Dealer should be last resort whenever possible. Not looking forward to taking mine in for the Def update, but forced to by commiefornia DMV which requires the update to register.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Absolutely. Dealer should be last resort whenever possible. Not looking forward to taking mine in for the Def update, but forced to by commiefornia DMV which requires the update to register.
Depends on the dealer.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Factor in Stellantis dealerships sold way more RAMs, Jeeps and Chargers/Challengers than they expected these last few years, and you have a dealership service network that is basically slammed and the first thing out the door in that case in the customer service. The phone calls on status, the ordering of parts, the general interest and care about your vehicle.

If you look at most dealership satisfaction surveys across all brands, guess which network you find near the bottom of the list?

I remember bringing my Rebel in for my first service, the first question out of the service advisors mouth was if my maintenance computer said it was needed? I said no, and he essentially told me to go home. I had 4,500 miles and wanted an early oil change, he did his best to dissuade me. The service line was full, and can guess why. Then I tried to schedule my driver's floormat recall, I tried to arrange between 2-3 dealerships several times, none of them called me back to confirm anything, I said screw it.

wow
i had my first oil change at 6700 miles no questions asked
percent was like 40
kearny mesa
maybe 6k was the cut off
they even gave me the used oil filter back

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
It is the same, techs prefer "customer pay" work over warranty work all day. If a warranty job pays 2 hours and customer pay is 4 hours, what one would the tech prefer?

The techs do NOT prefer warranty over cp jobs, would you agree with that?
I never said techs prefer warranty work. Not sure where you got that from bud

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They might not prefer it but some works better then no work. Nothing worse then sitting around a shop and not being paid. Unless of course its your personal shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SD Rebel

Reaction score
wow
i had my first oil change at 6700 miles no questions asked
percent was like 40
kearny mesa
maybe 6k was the cut off
they even gave me the used oil filter back

San Diego RAM where I got my truck, though them and Kearny Mesa I believe are owned by the same people/company.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Warranty repairs are a high pressure situation for the techs. Customer wants it done fast, tech wants to do it right, maker wants it done cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread