5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warranty quesrion

Snert

Reaction score
I have a 2019 ram 1500 big horn crew cab, 5.7 E-torque, 4x4 tow package.

I am the original owner, purchased with 21 miles on the odometer on Halloween day 2019.

Any way the truck has been more or less trouble free. Only warranty repairs needed since new, E-torque unit was replaced at about 30k. Then later down the road the control panel with the heated seat buttons, Medium setting stopped working.

As it approached the end of its warranty I purchased the mopar extended to 100k bumper to bumper with $100 deductible.

Truck is now at 99,700 miles and about to come off warranty.
I am debating if a further extended is a wise option. I am a little concerned about the mild hybrid system the E-torque system and battery uses.

The majority of miles are on the interstate.

Again in its lifetime with me the original owner, truck has been trouble free. Is a warranty at this point a waste of money? So far the track record has been yes. But I know all good things come to a end, so things will start going as the ruck ages.

All the extended warranty quotes as for milage, with pre set up to 36k.

I have considered aftermarket, but hear horror stories of denial claims constantly.

Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I will honestly also say, I love the truck and would not hesitate to buy another. Have a 5yr note on it with 1.5yr left to go.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I could be wrong but i'm almost positive the extended warranty will not cover any part of the hybrid system including the batter (which costs $1500).
There is a federal warranty for 8 year\80k miles so you are over that with millage.

I would probably just get your money back from your unused extended warranty since it doesn't sound like you used it, etorque was replaced as part of a different warranty.
Put that money you got back in a savings account and just drive your truck and use it for when something goes imo.

Snert

Reaction score
Point taken, however the current extended expires in less then 400 miles. It went from the 60k to 100k if memory serves me correctly.

John Galt

Reaction score
Can you even extend it at this point? I thought you had to be under the original 3/36k to buy maxcare.

John Galt

Reaction score
I could be wrong but i'm almost positive the extended warranty will not cover any part of the hybrid system including the batter (which costs $1500).
There is a federal warranty for 8 year\80k miles so you are over that with millage.

I would probably just get your money back from your unused extended warranty since it doesn't sound like you used it, etorque was replaced as part of a different warranty.
Put that money you got back in a savings account and just drive your truck and use it for when something goes imo.
I suspect the battery isn covered (its a consumable) but the generator and all the computery bits probably are.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I suspect the battery isn covered (its a consumable) but the generator and all the computery bits probably are.
The battery is covered under the 8 year 80k miles federal emissions warranty.

Main parts are the generator and battery pack. Other items would\should be cheaper to repair if there even is anything (belts?).

Ram explicity says their warranty will NOT cover ANY of the hybrid parts whatsoever, so I bet even if you had Maxcare to 100k, from 81k+ miles they wouldn't be covered.

One of those scummy after-market protection plans might cover it but they are not "warranties".

1684513440664.png
1684513533326.png

1684513557635.png
1684513443544.png

Attachments

• 1684513529033.png
    1684513529033.png
    162 KB · Views: 7

John Galt

Reaction score
Might be cheaper to convert to non-etorque…..it IS possible and in a few years there will probably be aftermarket kits too.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The battery is covered under the 8 year 80k miles federal emissions warranty.

Main parts are the generator and battery pack. Other items would\should be cheaper to repair if there even is anything (belts?).

Ram explicity says their warranty will NOT cover ANY of the hybrid parts whatsoever, so I bet even if you had Maxcare to 100k, from 81k+ miles they wouldn't be covered.

One of those scummy after-market protection plans might cover it but they are not "warranties"
Maxcare isn't a warranty, it is a service contract. Thanks for posting what the warranty is from factory. Please inform us all what Maxcare coverage is.

RC Turner

Reaction score
Talk to your dealer and see if there is one they prefer to deal with. If they like it you probably will also.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Maxcare isn't a warranty, it is a service contract. Thanks for posting what the warranty is from factory. Please inform us all what Maxcare coverage is.
So you are claiming Maxcare (which is a FCA product) covers eTorque parts after 80k miles?

Please do share.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So you are claiming Maxcare (which is a FCA product) covers eTorque parts after 80k miles?

Please do share.
They list what is not covered....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230519_184016_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    Screenshot_20230519_184016_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 33

uncc_99xj

Reaction score
I confirmed with Zeigler last week that etorque is not covered under any Mopar extended warranty. It falls under the federal emissions warranty, 8 years/80k. I was working with them on a quote for max care and specifically asked the question.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I confirmed with Zeigler last week that etorque is not covered under any Mopar extended warranty. It falls under the federal emissions warranty, 8 years/80k. I was working with them on a quote for max care and specifically asked the question.
That's what I thought.

Snert

Reaction score
Guess that answers it.

If the components i have concern with are not covered then why bother.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You are saying nothing in the etorque system would be covered because it's covered by the 8/80 emissions warranty.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On a side note about MaxCare, we have a lifetime Mopar warranty on my wife's 2017 Pacifica. We've never used it until now. We took it in after she got a "service shifter" message. The tech said the shifter message read "Implausible" and could be a voltage issue. He identified the RF Hub and Radio as having abnormal current draw so sent in a request to Mopar to get it covered nder warranty. 4 days later Mopar hasn't responded to their request. I called Mopar Warranties and they told me "the claims dept is a little backed up". I now got ChryslerCares involved to see if they can prod a response. Meanwhile, I told the dealer that we're going to fix it regardless so go ahead and order the parts since it'll take 5 days to get the RF Hub. Very frustrating. So, my questions to those who have MaxCare - is it always this slow to get authorization for a repair?

John Galt

Reaction score
Im no expert, but it could mean that IF a part is covered by the 8/80 emissions warranty that takes precedent over the maxcare service contract? The same applies to ALL parts covered by the 3/36 warranty. A lot of those service contra have lesser terms. Only the 8/100 and 8/125 would exceed it, and then only by mileage.

maxcare effectively covers nothing for the first 3 years 36k miles. and then doesn’t cover your powertrain until 5 years/60k miles because the powertrain warranty covers that.

Maxcare is just coverage that kicks in after other warranties expire.

this is from maxcare‘s site:

WHAT’S NOT COVERED UNDER OUR MAXIMUM CARESM PLANS
The only parts and labor not covered:
• Maintenance Services and items used in such services
• Catalytic Converter and Particulate Filter • Glass, Plastic Lenses and Light Bulbs
• Body and Paint items (including Soft Trim) • Snowplows, Winches and Trailer Hitches
• Wear items (such as Tires, Manual Clutch Assembly, Brake Pads, Shoes, Rotors, Drums, Belts and Wipers

where does it say “etorque system”? under the “covered” section It does however say electrical/extended electrical as well as “if it’s mechanical it’s covered”

I can see it not covering the 48v battery because it’s a battery but the rest of the components….I think they are.

and like I said there will be a huge aftermarket demand for conversion kits to non-etorque if there is no coverage and it proves unreliable. All you really need is an alternator, a different belt and alfaobd to disable the function.

Ive seen a couple of videos on it. The front timing cover is also different but that’s if you want to stay all OEM. If it there’s big demand because everyone is tearing out their etorque systems someone will develop an aftermarket solution that does not require the timing cover.

what I can tell you so far from mine…of all the systems Ive driven this is the first one I don’t mind and it doesn’t annoy me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online