5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warning to do it yourself oil changes may cause warranty denial

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I want to make sure this community knows about a troubling issue that I have been made aware of recently. Let me state that this post is intended to do two things: 1. make people aware of chryslers policy to deny warranty coverage for doing your own oil changes and 2. If any one has any suggestions on how to reach someone in Chrysler who actually cares about customer satisfaction, please let me know.

A very good friend of mine purchased a new Ram Limited 1500 Eco diesel (and extended warranty) a little over a year ago (traded in a Ford). This was purchased and not leased. He has absolutely loved this truck and has had no issues until recently. At 42,000, a low oil pressure light came on. Turns out the engine experienced a main bearing failure and needs a replacement. Chrysler immediately said he needs to prove he has had the oil changed. He presented all his oil and filter receipts but was denied coverage. He was told that he had to prove that the oil and filter were used in this truck. He was also told that they deny warranty coverage all the time to fleets that do their own service and provide spreadsheets of routine maintenance. I find this hard to believe. I know this person and truck very well and am 100% sure he is telling the truth (he changes oil on my lift).

As a long time Chrysler corp fan and owner, I am really blown away by this. I have changed my own oil all my life and trust the quality of my work much more than a quick change oil place or dealer who can never seem to do anything right. He is in the process of contacting a lawyer. Chrysler has not opened up the engine to prove that it was built correctly, measured any tolerances or sent the oil sample in for analysis. If this can happen to him, it can happen to any one of us.

The truck community is different than any other market segment. People love their trucks and it is hard to take business from a competitor. I get asked almost daily how I like my truck. My friend as well as myself work in industrial steel plants throughout several states. Almost all of the hundreds of people we see drive trucks. This type of thing gets around quickly. I would think if Chrysler is really serious about taking on Ford they would not let things like this happen. I am not trying to scare anyone, just a friendly warning to document the heck out of anything you do to your truck from a preventative maintenance stand point. I have 53000 trouble free miles on my 2019 Hemi, but am troubled by this chain of events. If anyone knows anyone in Chrysler to take this to, please pm me.
UPDATE. The dealer helped plead this case to the district rep and they have approved the warranty. Special shout out to Michigan City Dodge in Indiana

Last edited:

cervelo15

Reaction score
So while I have never had an experience with having a dealer deny warranty coverage, I'm trying to parse the issue from it being a Ram vs. the dealership issue. Being part of this forum, I've heard a lot of horror stories of dealerships doing shady stuff, almost seeming like it's the wild west when it comes to dealerships.

I have 2 dealerships that I live right in the middle of. One is a multi-brand dealership that has several locations throughout Eastern PA and the other has one location, family owned. I'm more apt to take it to the smaller, family-owned dealership because they've worked with me in the past. Case in point, I ordered a Mopar lift through them and they discounted it by $300 (and I wasn't asking any questions). The larger one just looks at you as a cash cow because they need revenue to run the larger network of locations.

Did your friend take it to another dealership? I know some people may not be close to an abundance of dealerships, but it's worth taking it somewhere else to see what they can do.

I think there are some real crooked dealerships out there and that's what spoils it for the brand.

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I could see the dealer saying it was denied to get your friend to pay so they can get the book money versus the warranty money. Also wouldn't surprise me if dealer got him to pay and then turned around and submitted it as warranty work to get paid from corp as well. Some dealers do some shady stuff.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'd ask for proof that isn't covered. There needs to be something in writing that comes from FCA that doing your own oil changes voids the warranty. I agree that the dealership is doing something shady.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The truck broke down in Indiana so it is at a dealership there about 3 hours from where we live. He has a claim number and the denial came straight from Chrysler not second hand from the dealership. I agree a good dealer can help but it is not the dealer saying it’s denied.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You friend needs a lawyer that specializes in warranty/lemon law ASAP.

Unfortunately this behavior is not limited to RAM/Stellantis. I dealt with this on a Hyundai where they had even sent the oil for analysis they still denied a claim based on the fact I did my own oil changes (yes, I also provided receipts for fluids/filters + personal records). Once a lawyer got involved they changed their tune almost immediately.

In the eyes of the Magnuson-Moss act DIY oil changes are no different than having a third party shop doing them.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Unfortunately this behavior is not limited to RAM/Stellantis. I dealt with this on a Hyundai where they had even sent the oil for analysis they still denied a claim based on the fact I did my own oil changes (yes, I also provided receipts for fluids/filters + personal records). Once a lawyer got involved they changed their tune almost immediately.
Agree. He’s already working on that

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I have heard of similar issues with other manufacturers as well.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also, the fact they deny warranty coverage for fleet vehicles with their own service records is completely irrelevant. Commercial vehicles do not have Magnuson Moss act protection.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also, how was a main bearing failure diagnosed without opening the engine?
They shows shavings in the pan. I’m not sure you can make any intelligent failure analysis without opening the engine up and measuring tolerances etc. Hard to believe but this is what they do I guess

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They shows shavings in the pan. I’m not sure you can make any intelligent failure analysis without opening the engine up and measuring tolerances etc. Hard to believe but this is what they do I guess
That's a lazy "diagnosis". I've done a teardown on an engine with sparkly oil thinking I'd see some main and/or cam bearing damage only to find nothing. Turns out the turbo was failing.

Also, this is a modern emissions era turbodiesel. If he weren't changing his oil it would be a block of sludge in the pan.

Last edited:

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
I guess we are lucky. The oil changes at our local dealership are usually cheaper than anywhere else but Walmart. And we often have a coupon to get the oil change even cheaper. Doing this also insures we get all the free recalls and upgrades done. On one of our past cars, we got new stuff stuck on it after many of its oil changes. We didn't ask since it was all free. A hood latch here, a new airbag there, radio updates, etc. We joke that if they did this enough, it might be a whole new car after a while. :D

Mattiusmaximus1216

Reaction score
Based on the statement regarding a lawyer is involved I doubt ram cares will respond. They won’t chime in with pending litigation.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I guess we are lucky. The oil changes at our local dealership are usually cheaper than anywhere else but Walmart. And we often have a coupon to get the oil change even cheaper. Doing this also insures we get all the free recalls and upgrades done. On one of our past cars, we got new stuff stuck on it after many of its oil changes. We didn't ask since it was all free. A hood latch here, a new airbag there, radio updates, etc. We joke that if they did this enough, it might be a whole new car after a while. :D

I'm tired of giving dealers chances to do a proper oil change. Every time I've tried (usually involving a coupon or promotion) they do some **** like neglecting to change the filter or overtightening the drain plug. Nowadays the only time a dealer of any brand touches my vehicle is for warranty work.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I want to make sure this community knows about a troubling issue that I have been made aware of recently. Let me state that this post is intended to do two things: 1. make people aware of chryslers policy to deny warranty coverage for doing your own oil changes and 2. If any one has any suggestions on how to reach someone in Chrysler who actually cares about customer satisfaction, please let me know.

A very good friend of mine purchased a new Ram Limited 1500 Eco diesel (and extended warranty) a little over a year ago (traded in a Ford). This was purchased and not leased. He has absolutely loved this truck and has had no issues until recently. At 42,000, a low oil pressure light came on. Turns out the engine experienced a main bearing failure and needs a replacement. Chrysler immediately said he needs to prove he has had the oil changed. He presented all his oil and filter receipts but was denied coverage. He was told that he had to prove that the oil and filter were used in this truck. He was also told that they deny warranty coverage all the time to fleets that do their own service and provide spreadsheets of routine maintenance. I find this hard to believe. I know this person and truck very well and am 100% sure he is telling the truth (he changes oil on my lift).

As a long time Chrysler corp fan and owner, I am really blown away by this. I have changed my own oil all my life and trust the quality of my work much more than a quick change oil place or dealer who can never seem to do anything right. He is in the process of contacting a lawyer. Chrysler has not opened up the engine to prove that it was built correctly, measured any tolerances or sent the oil sample in for analysis. If this can happen to him, it can happen to any one of us.

The truck community is different than any other market segment. People love their trucks and it is hard to take business from a competitor. I get asked almost daily how I like my truck. My friend as well as myself work in industrial steel plants throughout several states. Almost all of the hundreds of people we see drive trucks. This type of thing gets around quickly. I would think if Chrysler is really serious about taking on Ford they would not let things like this happen. I am not trying to scare anyone, just a friendly warning to document the heck out of anything you do to your truck from a preventative maintenance stand point. I have 53000 trouble free miles on my 2019 Hemi, but am troubled by this chain of events. If anyone knows anyone in Chrysler to take this to, please pm me.
I had a 19 ram bought back under lemon law and until I brought up my lawyer, no one helped or cared a whole year and 8000 miles worth of problems! No one really cares, not the dealers, not ram cares and definitely not ram! All they want is to sell lots of trucks and not stand behind them! Many are having problems as there’s no quality control, just push them out the door and get the money! No one cares, good luck👍🏻 I was so glad I left mine 100% stock and I didn’t do anything to it!

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a 19 ram bought back under lemon law and until I brought up my lawyer, no one helped or cared a whole year and 8000 miles worth of problems! No one really cares, not the dealers, not ram cares and definitely not ram! All they want is to sell lots of trucks and not stand behind them! Many are having problems as there’s no quality control, just push them out the door and get the money! No one cares, good luck👍🏻 I was so glad I left mine 100% stock and I didn’t do anything to it!
I’ve had lots of rams through the years and they’ve all been great trucks. This may be an isolated incident, but with the history of the eco diesel, I’m not sure. If Ram is really serious about taking over as king of the trucks they will have to get serious about good service, and customer satisfaction. Chrysler still has bad reputations from decades past to overcome. I know Ford and GM have their share of issues too, but this type of thing is uncalled for. The dealer service is awful and denying warranty for a clear manufacturer defect is unforgivable. This one instance has the potential to sway lots of future sales. They may not care now, but this catches up eventually

Users who are viewing this thread