5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

*WARNING -Tazer Dt Has Completely Crippled My Ram!!!

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wednesday evening I was showing off the "Light show" feature of Tazer DT to a friend of mine in the parking lot of my business. If you have a have a Tazer DT then you know how daunting it is to scroll through its menus with the button configuration... As I was Rapidly scrolling through the setup menu I unintentionally changed a setting in the sub menu" Per- off road " which automatically reboot and turned my engine on and all hell broke loose. My truck would not shut down. I kept pushing the ignition button and noting happened. I Disconnected both + and - of my battery and kept running for about 20 min until it finally shut off. I tried to reset the PCM , have done multiple "full reboots" with Tazer, unmarried and remarried and still when I start my truck i get the 'Service 4WD sytem' - 'Service Antilock Brake System'- 'Service Electronic Stability Control' - 'Service Transmission' Message on my EVIC/dash. Both of my keyfobs will not work (But my truck will start) The Driver side climate is on heat full blast and the passenger side is on full blast AC and I can not turn it off. My Fuel Gage is stuck on full. I have to manually release the Emergency Brake to put the truck in Drive and if I don't disengage the manual park override when i put my truck in park it simply rolls away. All of my Uconnect settings are gone and I get a Chrysler software screen on my 8.4. I have to wait till Tuesday to bring it to the Service Department. I have had my Tazer DT for almost a year now and never experienced such a malfunction like this.

KcRay

Reaction score
Wow that's crazy. Take that thing out and leave battery unhooked all night, then try again with no Tazer. You probably already tried that or something similar. I kinda always wanted one, but wow! By the way, how do you manually release the E brake?

illucid

Reaction score
Darn! Thats terrible man. I've had the tazer dt for about 6 months and haven't had any issues since I updated it to the latest software. Is yours updated?

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow that's crazy. Take that thing out and leave battery unhooked all night, then try again with no Tazer. You probably already tried that or something similar. I kinda always wanted one, but wow! By the way, how do you manually release the E brake?
Yea I'm currently waiting for email response from Zautomotive support. Ive tried everything from battery to pulling pcm fuse in hopes to reset. Manual E-Brake over ride latch is hidden behind a panel below the E brake.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Wednesday evening I was showing off the "Light show" feature of Tazer DT to a friend of mine in the parking lot of my business. If you have a have a Tazer DT then you know how daunting it is to scroll through its menus with the button configuration... As I was Rapidly scrolling through the setup menu I unintentionally changed a setting in the sub menu" Per- off road " which automatically reboot and turned my engine on and all hell broke loose. My truck would not shut down. I kept pushing the ignition button and noting happened. I Disconnected both + and - of my battery and kept running for about 20 min until it finally shut off. I tried to reset the PCM , have done multiple "full reboots" with Tazer, unmarried and remarried and still when I start my truck i get the 'Service 4WD sytem' - 'Service Antilock Brake System'- 'Service Electronic Stability Control' - 'Service Transmission' Message on my EVIC/dash. Both of my keyfobs will not work (But my truck will start) The Driver side climate is on heat full blast and the passenger side is on full blast AC and I can not turn it off. My Fuel Gage is stuck on full. I have to manually release the Emergency Brake to put the truck in Drive and if I don't disengage the manual park override when i put my truck in park it simply rolls away. All of my Uconnect settings are gone and I get a Chrysler software screen on my 8.4. I have to wait till Tuesday to bring it to the Service Department. I have had my Tazer DT for almost a year now and never experienced such a malfunction like this.
Holy cow. Hope you get it resolved soon!

Boston

Reaction score
Disconnecting the battery of a running engine has probably damaged some electronic control units. The engine only ran thanks to the alternator.

I have a nasty feeling that you have fried a lot of expensive parts that won't be covered under warranty as the problem started after you installed an aftermarket device and disconnected the battery when running that's probably advised against in the owners manual.

whetrick1

Reaction score
Disconnecting the battery of a running engine has probably damaged some electronic control units. The engine only ran thanks to the alternator.

I have a nasty feeling that you have fried a lot of expensive parts that won't be covered under warranty as the problem started after you installed an aftermarket device and disconnected the battery when running that's probably advised against in the owners manual.

I would make sure to unmarry the Taser DT and see if they can find what's wrong with it. I tried one a year ago and when I installed it stupid things started happening. Unmarried it and everything went back to normal. Sent it back an git a refund. All I can say is an expensive toy to mess your truck up with. Not everyone is having the problem I did. I guess every truck is temperamental on what you can do to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

broman66

Reaction score
You can push the switch too. It took me a while to figure that one out too.

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I ended up bringing my truck in for service and they had it back to me by the end of the day. PCM/CPU had to be re-flashed & no damages to any of the components with $0.00 charges. (Thank god). Re-Married tazer to my truck and all is well. ** I have to say Customer support from Z Automotive is complete Crap! I sent multiple emails explaining my situation along with reaching out for help and guidance with no response at all. Jerks.... anyways for the future I will be steering clear of the "off-road" features of the Tazer ;)

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I ended up bringing my truck in for service and they had it back to me by the end of the day. PCM/CPU had to be re-flashed & no damages to any of the components with $0.00 charges. (Thank god). Re-Married tazer to my truck and all is well. ** I have to say Customer support from Z Automotive is complete Crap! I sent multiple emails explaining my situation along with reaching out for help and guidance with no response at all. Jerks.... anyways for the future I will be steering clear of the "off-road" features of the Tazer ;)

Hold up, you had this experience, weren’t satisfied with their support, and then you reinstalled the product even after the experience?!

I’m just curious if you enabled a setting you shouldn’t have and the issue was user error, or if there was an issue to the electronics caused by the Tazer.

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i'm glad you had this resolved, especially since you didn't have to pay for anything. it's obviously your truck and i hope you get to continue to use it problem-free, but i agree with Eltaco... i'd be throwing that thing in the trash before reinstalling it on my truck if something like this would happen to me :ROFLMAO:
I've heard too many issues about tazers on this forum. it's steered me away from buying one, even though i think it's such a cool upgrade...

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i'm glad you had this resolved, especially since you didn't have to pay for anything. it's obviously your truck and i hope you get to continue to use it problem-free, but i agree with Eltaco... i'd be throwing that thing in the trash before reinstalling it on my truck if something like this would happen to me :ROFLMAO:
I've heard too many issues about tazers on this forum. it's steered me away from buying one, even though i think it's such a cool upgrade...

That’s why I raised the question tho... you can absolutely jack stuff up by making the wrong setting on the Tazer. For example, I can adjust gear ratio on the Tazer without physically changing the gearing. I’d imagine that would be a very bad change for the computer. That example would be a user error. It’s not the Tazers fault if I chose that setting. No foul.

That said, if I made the proper adjustments and the Tazer causes some issue by just being plugged into the system, that’s a product issue... and I’d throw it in the fire.

I’ve read a few complaints that were definitely user error. I’ve seen a few dead battery posts that ended up being a poor ground in the truck, or something else leaching power... so there are definitely instances where the Tazer takes the blame for some other issue. I’d be interested to know more about this scenario. I’m generally satisfied with my Tazer, but it’s just a gadget that’s not worth risking physical damage to my truck if there is indeed a problem to worry about.

whetrick1

Reaction score

Yeah it wiped my pcm out and had to have it towed to the dealership. They reflashed mine and told me they have never seen a pcm lose all of its setting so they ordered me a new pcm and had it installed in the next week. I drove the truck until it came in. Sent the Tazer back and got a refund. Expensive toy to screw up my truck. Wasn't going to take that chance again. Dealership might not fix free for me the next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bearman95

Reaction score
Have a taser in my JL Rubicon for two years and never had a problem . I am installing one in my Ram this week.

raminuk

Reaction score
I feel your pain, I too have had a Tazer mess up my truck, it wiped all the modules in my truck and it wouldn't even talk to the Ram service computer, thought a new eco may be in order, but after days of refreshing all the control systems the RAM is back up and running.

this is the 2nd time the tazer has done this, and all because i want my mirrors to fold in automatically

i have emailed Tazer and they still have not got back to me.

not happy

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I feel your pain, I too have had a Tazer mess up my truck, it wiped all the modules in my truck and it wouldn't even talk to the Ram service computer, thought a new eco may be in order, but after days of refreshing all the control systems the RAM is back up and running.

this is the 2nd time the tazer has done this, and all because i want my mirrors to fold in automatically

i have emailed Tazer and they still have not got back to me.

not happy
When I first got my tazer I used the "auto-fold mirror" setting but sometimes only my driver side mirror would fold and my passenger side would stay out. It startled me enough to foresight future motor issues with my mirrors so I stopped using it.
And I definitely feel the frustration you're experiencing with lack of response to you email from Zautomotive. Their costumer support is horrible. Still to this day I have yet to get a response. My suggestion to you would be to continue re-sending your email until you get a response.. :/

raminuk

Reaction score
will resend now, what email address did you find work best

Users who are viewing this thread