5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

*WARNING -Tazer Dt Has Completely Crippled My Ram!!!

raminuk

Reaction score
got a reply , it going back for a refund, shame, its going to cost me to send this back from the UK

TheGRam

Reaction score
I want to thank all of you for sharing your stories, as I was up in the air about getting on of these. One fat finger and I'm at the mercy of the dealer? Poor Support? I'm going to take a pass. Thanks again for sharing.

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s why I raised the question tho... you can absolutely jack stuff up by making the wrong setting on the Tazer. For example, I can adjust gear ratio on the Tazer without physically changing the gearing. I’d imagine that would be a very bad change for the computer. That example would be a user error. It’s not the Tazers fault if I chose that setting. No foul.

That said, if I made the proper adjustments and the Tazer causes some issue by just being plugged into the system, that’s a product issue... and I’d throw it in the fire.

I’ve read a few complaints that were definitely user error. I’ve seen a few dead battery posts that ended up being a poor ground in the truck, or something else leaching power... so there are definitely instances where the Tazer takes the blame for some other issue. I’d be interested to know more about this scenario. I’m generally satisfied with my Tazer, but it’s just a gadget that’s not worth risking physical damage to my truck if there is indeed a problem to worry about.

this is kind of "Off topic"but i had one of those "Pedal Commander".my dash started flashing all kind of stuff and it would surge forward when i took my foot of the brake,i pulled over in a parking lot.disconnected it and put it back to stock.all is well again,i have the "Z taser"from a group buy here,have yet to install it.these things are great when they work,but when they start to act up....

Last edited:

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hold up, you had this experience, weren’t satisfied with their support, and then you reinstalled the product even after the experience?!

I’m just curious if you enabled a setting you shouldn’t have and the issue was user error, or if there was an issue to the electronics caused by the Tazer.
Oh it was totally my fault. I was scrolling so fast through the menu I couldn't even tell you what setting it was that i changed. Whatever I changed initiated the tazer to system reboot countdown and then my truck went into winch mode and all hell broke loose. Earliest the dealership could get me in was 7 days and they told me since all the icons i had lit up on my dash were yellow and not red then Iit was safe to drive my truck until up to my apt date. I will tell you this, driving my truck during those 7 days with no onboard stability control, no 4 wheel drive system, and no abs braking available was quite a sketchy experience, I mean I had to really pay attention to those driving around me and driving on wet roads in the rain was like driving on black ice. Its amazing how advance and integrated the electronics are with this truck.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey how’s your truck been..any issues since the “fix”? I don’t have a tazer, but my truck is doing exactly what yours did. All warnings up, motor won’t turn off, etc.

Big Red Rebel

Reaction score
Anyone having any issues with the dash not shutting off and the tazer dt drains the battery?

Hemiguy226

Reaction score
Yeah it wiped my pcm out and had to have it towed to the dealership. They reflashed mine and told me they have never seen a pcm lose all of its setting so they ordered me a new pcm and had it installed in the next week. I drove the truck until it came in. Sent the Tazer back and got a refund. Expensive toy to screw up my truck. Wasn't going to take that chance again. Dealership might not fix free for me the next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very lucky considering you were tampering with what they don’t want anyone touching I KNOW I had a bad tcm tune blow up a brand new 15 srt and warranty denied

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Very lucky considering you were tampering with what they don’t want anyone touching I KNOW I had a bad tcm tune blow up a brand new 15 srt and warranty denied
No doubt. Surprised they fixed this under warranty.

Brandy

Reaction score
Wednesday evening I was showing off the "Light show" feature of Tazer DT to a friend of mine in the parking lot of my business. If you have a have a Tazer DT then you know how daunting it is to scroll through its menus with the button configuration... As I was Rapidly scrolling through the setup menu I unintentionally changed a setting in the sub menu" Per- off road " which automatically reboot and turned my engine on and all hell broke loose. My truck would not shut down. I kept pushing the ignition button and noting happened. I Disconnected both + and - of my battery and kept running for about 20 min until it finally shut off. I tried to reset the PCM , have done multiple "full reboots" with Tazer, unmarried and remarried and still when I start my truck i get the 'Service 4WD sytem' - 'Service Antilock Brake System'- 'Service Electronic Stability Control' - 'Service Transmission' Message on my EVIC/dash. Both of my keyfobs will not work (But my truck will start) The Driver side climate is on heat full blast and the passenger side is on full blast AC and I can not turn it off. My Fuel Gage is stuck on full. I have to manually release the Emergency Brake to put the truck in Drive and if I don't disengage the manual park override when i put my truck in park it simply rolls away. All of my Uconnect settings are gone and I get a Chrysler software screen on my 8.4. I have to wait till Tuesday to bring it to the Service Department. I have had my Tazer DT for almost a year now and never experienced such a malfunction like this.

I had the same issue but I wasn’t pressing buttons and only had a few features enabled on tazor. Prior to this happening I had reached out to z automotive several times due to tazor PIN code not functioning properly They told me to run a recovery to make sure os firmware functioning….which I did. As soon as I did that the truck flashed off road management limited avoid aggressive driving. I reached out to z automotive again this time they quit responding. The next day I went to start truck and it said service trailer brake, system, service electronic stability control system and service electronic throttle control system. The truck had a red lighting bolt and all dash lights on. Including parking brake. The truck would only go 1 mph. I did unmarry tazor and tried disconnecting battery but that didn’t work. I had to tow truck to dealer. I seen that you did reinstall tazor. Have you had any further problems?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Luckily I didn't use my Tazer DT yet if I read all this...
99% of TazerDT users have had little to no issues. There are still some glitches with Uconnect 5 and 2023 support. I've had my TazerDT in my 2020 for two and a half years and only issue I've ever had was a electric throttle control code that I discovered was probably because si forgot to reinstall the bonding wire to zoCM when I swapped it in. Attached that and no issues since. OPs problem was user error. The light show is very first option that comes up using steering wheel controls. And if you just want to show off lightshow, you don't even need to use the steering wheel, you can start and stop light show using just the keyfob.

Don't let user error cause you to not buy an awesome little device with many features

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I had the same issue but I wasn’t pressing buttons and only had a few features enabled on tazor. Prior to this happening I had reached out to z automotive several times due to tazor PIN code not functioning properly They told me to run a recovery to make sure os firmware functioning….which I did. As soon as I did that the truck flashed off road management limited avoid aggressive driving. I reached out to z automotive again this time they quit responding. The next day I went to start truck and it said service trailer brake, system, service electronic stability control system and service electronic throttle control system. The truck had a red lighting bolt and all dash lights on. Including parking brake. The truck would only go 1 mph. I did unmarry tazor and tried disconnecting battery but that didn’t work. I had to tow truck to dealer. I seen that you did reinstall tazor. Have you had any further problems?
This is why I haven't enabled the PIN code feature. I don't want to have to spend extra time playing with steering wheel buttons just to start my truck, and my wife drives it enough it would just be a PITA. I did enable keyfobkill for extra security, and really haven't had any issues with that other than when I accidentally hit the block button.on my fob(hanging from my belt loop) when so got in my truck to start it. But all I did was turn truck off, use my fob to unlock to doors and it started back up with no issues.

Chris3058

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I feel your pain, I too have had a Tazer mess up my truck, it wiped all the modules in my truck and it wouldn't even talk to the Ram service computer, thought a new eco may be in order, but after days of refreshing all the control systems the RAM is back up and running.

this is the 2nd time the tazer has done this, and all because i want my mirrors to fold in automatically

i have emailed Tazer and they still have not got back to me.

not happy
Sounds like bye bye Tazer. Crazy.

Papi4baby

Reaction score
I would change the tittle of this thread, obviously it was not the Tazers fault.

Glad you got the vehicle repaired OP.

Liquid Li0n

Reaction score
I would change the tittle of this thread, obviously it was not the Tazers fault.

Glad you got the vehicle repaired OP.
or added in to this one so that it all stays at 1 place

Users who are viewing this thread