5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Want to make my truck sound a little more mean

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice man!! Thanks for taking the time... twice & sharing with us(y). Much appreciated

It’s definitely alittle more above stock but nothing harsh. Should be wife approved. Lol

I’m sure it has little more bit then that with a load on it also.
I’m sure I’ve asked you before, the 24” that’s straight though design right?

W13NY

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice man!! Thanks for taking the time... twice & sharing with us(y). Much appreciated

It’s definitely alittle more above stock but nothing harsh. Should be wife approved. Lol

I’m sure it has little more bit then that with a load on it also.
I’m sure I’ve asked you before, the 24” that’s straight though design right?

Yeah only have 3 toolboxes in the bed of mine.

Yea - Heres the exact link to my muffler: https://www.mufflex-performance.com/store/115-dual-exhaust-for-2019-ram-1500-mellow.html

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I did the 24" Mufflex Magnaflow Muffler - located in Trenton, NJ - just a mellow sound but a good increase from stock since I didnt want too loud. Less than $50 for the install and $342 for the actual muffler if you are in that area they specialize in RAMs.

Kept the old muffler to put back on if I decide to not keep it after the lease ends.

@W13NY thanks for the info. Did you get to hear the “moderate” sound? Are you happy with the mellow? We’re you also happy with having their shop do the work? Can’t beat the $50 install. Curious if you would have done anything differently. I’m thinking about doing it.

W13NY

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@W13NY thanks for the info. Did you get to hear the “moderate” sound? Are you happy with the mellow? We’re you also happy with having their shop do the work? Can’t beat the $50 install. Curious if you would have done anything differently. I’m thinking about doing it.

My neighbor has the moderate sound on his 2010 RAM and it is WAY louder and not what I wanted. I have never heard it on a 2019 RAM though.

I was definitely happy having the shop do the work cause otherwise you pay $25 shipping and only save $25 by doing it yourself.

Only thing I would have done differently is put a full magnaflow catback on if it wasnt a lease. If I decide I am keeping it I will switch to that down the line but for now its easier to get the muffler switched back rather then the whole exhaust system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patsy1099

Reaction score
My neighbor has the moderate sound on his 2010 RAM and it is WAY louder and not what I wanted. I have never heard it on a 2019 RAM though.

I was definitely happy having the shop do the work cause otherwise you pay $25 shipping and only save $25 by doing it yourself.

Only thing I would have done differently is put a full magnaflow catback on if it wasnt a lease. If I decide I am keeping it I will switch to that down the line but for now its easier to get the muffler switched back rather then the whole exhaust system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for that feedback. Why would you have done the full magnaflow catback. What would that have given you that you feel you are missing from the mufflex?

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
Biggziggie,

I am going a little left field for the "mean" sound!!! I am going the "exhaust cutout" route---I like that I get to control the sound off/on switch and or remote depending on which kit is purchased. So this gives you the ability to switch it to stock sound when you need it quiet, then switch it to mean and aggressive when you want to have fun!!!

I have to give props to QTP youtube video. I just don't see too much differents in the quality comparing the product to pay the higher dollar amount; so I went the ebay route for approx $60.00

I should be able to get it installed for $75- $150ish.

I have mine and need to get it installed. Had a few things come up lately so delaying my install....hopefully within the next week!!!

Here is the link to QTP's exhaust cutout:

Enjoy!!!

W13NY

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for that feedback. Why would you have done the full magnaflow catback. What would that have given you that you feel you are missing from the mufflex?

Just the tone of the magnaflow catback is more appealing to me compared to just the 24" muffler and still doesnt seem as loud as a 18" mufflex would be.

Patsy1099

Reaction score
Just the tone of the magnaflow catback is more appealing to me compared to just the 24" muffler and still doesnt seem as loud as a 18" mufflex would be.

Thanks. I guess I have to do more reading and maybe watching some vids. What’s the diff between 18” and 24”? Is the sound, look?

W13NY

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks. I guess I have to do more reading and maybe watching some vids. What’s the diff between 18” and 24”? Is the sound, look?
Just the sound

On the mufflex site the 18" is rated a 7/10 for sound and the 24" is a 4/10 and stock is a 2/10

Patsy1099

Reaction score
Just the sound

On the mufflex site the 18" is rated a 7/10 for sound and the 24" is a 4/10 and stock is a 2/10

So is the 18” the moderate and the 24” the mellow? I know this might be asking a lot but do you your you neighbor enough to a vid where you start each one side by side to hear the difference? I emailed mufflex today and believe it or not they said they unfortunately don’t have any vids of the difference. I asked them if I came into the shop for the job if they would be able to put one on and then the other so I can hear it. But if the difference is pipe length as opposed to resonators, then they won’t be able to do that.

W13NY

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So is the 18” the moderate and the 24” the mellow? I know this might be asking a lot but do you your you neighbor enough to a vid where you start each one side by side to hear the difference? I emailed mufflex today and believe it or not they said they unfortunately don’t have any vids of the difference. I asked them if I came into the shop for the job if they would be able to put one on and then the other so I can hear it. But if the difference is pipe length as opposed to resonators, then they won’t be able to do that.

My neighbors a little older and works weird shifts so I doubt hed be down to do that. Hes not into the truck as much as I am lol.

Mufflex told me the same thing when I asked for a comparison - I just went with my gut and got the 24" cause of hearing the 18" on his was too loud. But keep in mind the resonators for the 2019 are different and seem to make it sound lower than the older models

Patsy1099

Reaction score
My neighbors a little older and works weird shifts so I doubt hed be down to do that. Hes not into the truck as much as I am lol.

Mufflex told me the same thing when I asked for a comparison - I just went with my gut and got the 24" cause of hearing the 18" on his was too loud. But keep in mind the resonators for the 2019 are different and seem to make it sound lower than the older models

Totally understand. I am not looking for loud, at all. Between neighbors and kids school, etc, I can do that in this vehicle. What I really want is a low/deep, burbly, throaty, growl. Does yours have that note would you say?

W13NY

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Totally understand. I am not looking for loud, at all. Between neighbors and kids school, etc, I can do that in this vehicle. What I really want is a low/deep, burbly, throaty, growl. Does yours have that note would you say?
Only on the highway Id say - on regular roads it is quiet in my opinion - only slightly louder than stock

W13NY

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did it change the tone/note?
Yes, definitely - just not enough for me in my personal opinion. If I decide I am keeping it I am definitely going to the MagnaFlow Catback since there wont be a need to change it back to stock.

Patsy1099

Reaction score
Yes, definitely - just not enough for me in my personal opinion. If I decide I am keeping it I am definitely going to the MagnaFlow Catback since there wont be a need to change it back to stock.

Cool. Great to know. So last ques. Do you like the magnaflow note better? Since I know you said you didn’t want it too loud.

Users who are viewing this thread