5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

vs. 2021 F150

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll say this...no matter who looks into the cab of my Limited when I show them, their jaw drops when they see the 12 inch screen...it's a show-stopper. The way the new F 150 has their 12 arranged, it just doesn't have the same impact. Bravo RAM!

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Being that I'm most likely going to spend the rest of my years in Michigan, the all aluminum body of the F150 would be a big deciding factor once I decide to swap out trucks.
Some of the new features (lay flat front seats and generator) don't interest me now. The large infotainment screen is important to me. Trying to see a smartphone sitting 2-3 ft from me is not happening with these old eyes. I'll take the OEM navigation over a phone.
Switching to the F150 would would result in me losing the air suspension. The ability to drop the truck to make entry easier for my 88 year old mother in law would be missed. I'd, for sure, get a King Ranch or Limited so I would still have the power running boards.
The true hybrid version might be a good idea for me. I now do a number short trips and to run them on an electric motor and still have the 3.5l Ecoboost to move my boat around would be the best of two worlds.
Every vehicle is a compromise.... There will never be a "perfect" truck, SUV, car for me or likely anyone.

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Being that I'm most likely going to spend the rest of my years in Michigan, the all aluminum body of the F150 would be a big deciding factor once I decide to swap out trucks.
Some of the new features (lay flat front seats and generator) don't interest me now. The large infotainment screen is important to me. Trying to see a smartphone sitting 2-3 ft from me is not happening with these old eyes. I'll take the OEM navigation over a phone.
Switching to the F150 would would result in me losing the air suspension. The ability to drop the truck to make entry easier for my 88 year old mother in law would be missed. I'd, for sure, get a King Ranch or Limited so I would still have the power running boards.
The true hybrid version might be a good idea for me. I now do a number short trips and to run them on an electric motor and still have the 3.5l Ecoboost to move my boat around would be the best of two worlds.
Every vehicle is a compromise.... There will never be a "perfect" truck, SUV, car for me or likely anyone.
Yea factory nav sucks, my phone is always up to date and never have to pay to have updated maps(which are always outdated when they come out). With AA and CarPlay they are projected onto the big screen in my truck so I never have to look at my phone while driving.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I liked sync in my 2013 F-150 but the touchscreen sync never worked well for me on my 2014 Edge. Always had better luck with Uconnect...and that's with different phones too. Maybe it's just me lol.
I have a 14‘ Edge as well and the old sync is a pain. UConnect is a better technology however I don’t know what the improved sync Is like. Surely is better after 6 years and 2 versions.
Ford will up their game as they have too much to lose in not keeping their #1 sales status. I just wish that FCA/RAM would realize that they need to tweak the hemi for additional hp and tq and also get higher 1500 series payloads if they want to keep the #2 sales place.
Like the old car rental advertisement for Avis, FCA needs to “try harder” and not just depend on incentives to sell their products. The hemi was introduced in 2003 and revised in 2009. That’s getting to be an older set of specs (going on 12 years now) for 150/1500 series truck engines.

Last edited by a moderator:

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They are both meh. Going to a 10” screen from their 8” but most of the interior is the same. Same plastics, dull steering wheel, dull instrument cluster and poor use of wood. If GM wanted to really compete, they’d been better off using the 2021 Cadillac Escalade interior.
Would never happen unless they jack up the price even more...smh. Right now their truck interiors look like they were designed by a 6 year old lol

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 14‘ Edge as well and the old sync is a pain. UConnect is a better technology however I don’t know what the improved sync Is like. Surely is better after 6 years and 2 versions.
Ford will up their game as they have too much to lose in not keeping their #1 sales status. I just wish that FCA/RAM would realize that they need to tweak the hemi for additional hp and tq and also get higher 1500 series payloads if they want to keep the #2 sales place.
Like the old car rental advertisement for Avis, FCA needs to “try harder” and not just depend on incentives to sell their products. The hemi was introduced in 2003 and revised in 2009. That’s getting to be an older set of specs (going on 12 years now) for 150/1500 series truck engines.
That's a good point. It seems like FCA is afraid to venture out and try to redesign anything...they do a good job improving what they have already had for a while but when it comes to innovation the only thing they have done recently is introduce Etorque...which I like for sure though....another point on that is them improving the Rebel and turning it into the TRX....a good idea but still following suit on the improving upon what already more or less exists...hope that makes sense lol

silver billet

Reaction score
Would never happen unless they jack up the price even more...smh. Right now their truck interiors look like they were designed by a 6 year old lol

I'm not sure that's accurate. Their interiors are extremely functional and intutive and clean. Nothing wrong with that considering it's a truck. It's just that the market has moved on and now also wants "luxury", and that's whats missing.

Sir Ramcelot

Reaction score
I'm not sure that's accurate. Their interiors are extremely functional and intutive and clean. Nothing wrong with that considering it's a truck. It's just that the market has moved on and now also wants "luxury", and that's whats missing.

Exactly. If it were a $30K truck that interior is fine but on a $60-$70K (Denali) truck, it's so woefully short of luxury that I'm honestly surprised the entire interior design team wasn't re-assigned. They could absolutely incorporate the 2021 Escalade without jacking up the price more because they left a far inferior interior in a "luxury" priced truck but charged the high prices anyway. Will they do that? Of course not but the F-150 upped it's game (Ram still has the best interior) and even the 2021 Tahoe interior will not put the Chevy/GMC on a level playing field with Ram or Ford. It will be interesting to see what GM does in their next gen which should be about the 24 model year.

James1414d

Reaction score
If Ford decides to have full size Android Auto instead of just using part of the screen, I might have to go test drive the F150

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not even close man....have you been inside of a 2013 Sierra or Silverado? That was almost luxery to me compared to the newer ones. That was the last time GM had a decent interior in ANY of their trucks.

silver billet

Reaction score
Not even close man....have you been inside of a 2013 Sierra or Silverado? That was almost luxery to me compared to the newer ones. That was the last time GM had a decent interior in ANY of their trucks.

You said "the interior was designed by 6 year olds". That to me implies things like "no rhyme or reason", "not thought out", "features missing" etc etc. That's NOT the problem with the GM interiors. It is very well layed out, has pretty much feature parity with all the others, and is very easy to use.

What's missing from their interior is luxury. The 12 inch screen is luxurious compared to the 8 inch, but the 8 inch works just as well (actually it works better, IMHO). Their trailering and camera tech is unrivaled. They have HUD (no other truck does) etc. They do miss the panoramic sun roof, but again, that's more an element of luxury vs feature. Same with air ride; it's a more luxurious ride.

So I'm not really arguing against you, just suggesting that your "designed by 6 year olds" does not really describe the issue that well. I'll shut up now ;)

dandar

Reaction score
If Ford decides to have full size Android Auto instead of just using part of the screen, I might have to go test drive the F150

Upcoming 2022 Volvo XC90 will have built-in Android Auto. Always on without having to plug in your phone with almost perfect conversational voice recognition. Having said that I just finished a road trip using exclusively 12" Uconnect Nav. It worked perfectly with real-time traffic and almost spot on arrival time info.

Sir Ramcelot

Reaction score
Upcoming 2022 Volvo XC90 will have built-in Android Auto. Always on without having to plug in your phone with almost perfect conversational voice recognition. Having said that I just finished a road trip using exclusively 12" Uconnect Nav. It worked perfectly with real-time traffic and almost spot on arrival time info.

The new 2021 Durango will have Android Auto as well.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You said "the interior was designed by 6 year olds". That to me implies things like "no rhyme or reason", "not thought out", "features missing" etc etc. That's NOT the problem with the GM interiors. It is very well layed out, has pretty much feature parity with all the others, and is very easy to use.

What's missing from their interior is luxury. The 12 inch screen is luxurious compared to the 8 inch, but the 8 inch works just as well (actually it works better, IMHO). Their trailering and camera tech is unrivaled. They have HUD (no other truck does) etc. They do miss the panoramic sun roof, but again, that's more an element of luxury vs feature. Same with air ride; it's a more luxurious ride.

So I'm not really arguing against you, just suggesting that your "designed by 6 year olds" does not really describe the issue that well. I'll shut up now ;)
Lol you have a point. But I say designed by a 6 year old because it isn't really thought out well. I test drove a 2020 trailboss custom and a regular LT Sikverado...and the seats were awkward angles no matter how I adjusted them...the radio controls in the dash were set up like something from a 1999 Kia, I had to stick my arm through the steering wheel just to adjust the trip info or look at Any other info on the cluster screen. Total nightmare. Worst interior ever. I could care less about luxery but there was NO practicality to the way the interior was set up.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I'm still interested to see how the Aluminum Fords will hold up in the long run, they still have not been around long enough to see if they will have any corrosion problems. Just about everyone with the 2nd Gen Expedition's has bubbling paint from corrosion on the aluminum hatches, also a big problem on Mustang hoods.

Scram1500

Reaction score
I'm still interested to see how the Aluminum Fords will hold up in the long run, they still have not been around long enough to see if they will have any corrosion problems. Just about everyone with the 2nd Gen Expedition's has bubbling paint from corrosion on the aluminum hatches, also a big problem on Mustang hoods.
I've been thinking about that too, the Ram has an Aluminum hood and tailgate. I cant help but wonder if it will bubble. The same premature oxidation of the Aluminum on Fords also happened to Volvo

Last edited:

silver billet

Reaction score
Lol you have a point. But I say designed by a 6 year old because it isn't really thought out well. I test drove a 2020 trailboss custom and a regular LT Sikverado...and the seats were awkward angles no matter how I adjusted them...the radio controls in the dash were set up like something from a 1999 Kia, I had to stick my arm through the steering wheel just to adjust the trip info or look at Any other info on the cluster screen. Total nightmare. Worst interior ever. I could care less about luxery but there was NO practicality to the way the interior was set up.

Fair enough, I'm not going to suggest it works for everybody. But my own personal experience (I almost bought one and test drove several) and the many reviews on the internet do not really claim that it's not thought out or impractical, just that it's "cheap" (hard plasticy materials, hard seats, no "bling" or "eye candy" like contrast stitching etc).

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That was because of dissimilar metals. I owned a couple of Mustangs. It was aluminum attached to a steel frame. Those issues were from over 10 years ago now.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Fair enough, I'm not going to suggest it works for everybody. But my own personal experience (I almost bought one and test drove several) and the many reviews on the internet do not really claim that it's not thought out or impractical, just that it's "cheap" (hard plasticy materials, hard seats, no "bling" or "eye candy" like contrast stitching etc).
That’s a fair point. Aside from some seat wear, my 2003 GMC still looked pretty much new when I sold it in late 2018. Of course, all automakers used more “hard surfaces“ back then.

Boston

Reaction score
Ive posted a few other times about payload concerns with Ram, but everything else about the truck is the best i’ve seen in the market. Along comes Ford, though, and performs a major update on what I see as their biggest weakness - interior quality and fit & finish.

Id be ordering either in 2021 model years. According to at least one fleet guide (attached) 21 Rams start ordering next week! Ford supposedly not long after on July 15.

Comparing Ram 1500 Longhorn with 3.92, air suspension, ORG, 33-gallon tank, Longhorn group 1, safety group, and moonroof with F-150 Platinum with same basic equipment (minus air ride, of course). Give me reasons why you chose the Ram: View attachment 60858

And there I was wondering if the DS / Classic version was going to be retired after 2020.

Users who are viewing this thread