5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

vs. 2021 F150

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sync is trash. Almost every automotive journalist would agree that the Uconnect is one of the easiest and most user friendly systems out there.
I rented a new mustang a while ago and the infotainment was horrible.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sync is trash. Almost every automotive journalist would agree that the Uconnect is one of the easiest and most user friendly systems out there.

Can't speak to the new SYNC systems but I know ours in our old 2013 Explorer was garbage. I've read similar reviews on the new systems though when comparing SYNC with UConnect.

I do wish we'd get a free app though.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I grew up a die-hard Ford guy. Have had many Ford trucks, as well as GM, Toyota, Nissan, Ram, etc.

There is no way I'd pick the Ford over the Ram right now. Just no way. Ford has completely lost touch with their consumer base. They're still trying to appease the 55-85 year old crowd with their styling, interior, and specs. And from a quality stand-point they just aren't where they need to be anymore. Also, that 3.5L EcoBust engine is a train wreck. Carbon coking on valves, TSB and recall lists a mile long, and a complete nightmare to work on. Plus they drink gas at alarming rates if you tow. Avoid that like the plague if you can. I had better luck with the Coyote V8. And I have a friend with a quarter-million miles on his Coyote V8. But overall, the Ford truck is probably the last one on the list for me these days. That company has fallen so far. It's sad.

ktl5005

Reaction score
I am not a Ford guy, but the new 2021 definitely looks improved. If I was in the market for towing/payload, I'd be in a f150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost. Since I am not, the air ride and interior of the Limited is a step above everyone else, including the new F150. That and to get that interior on the new F150 your going to be in the 65k plus range and knowing Ford, don't expect discounts (they are super overpriced). At least with a Ram limited you could be in it for under 60k.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can't speak to the new SYNC systems but I know ours in our old 2013 Explorer was garbage. I've read similar reviews on the new systems though when comparing SYNC with UConnect.

I do wish we'd get a free app though.

It's not trash by any means compared to the latest Sync 4 or even 3. Compared to 2 yes. :)

Both UConnect and Sync 3/4 are nice and work well with Carplay/AA.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Ford has had oil usage problens with their 5.0 in the last couple-three model years, which pushes people to the ecoboost engines. Raw power aside, the turbos do help a lot at altitude.
Id only get another e boost with a long extended warranty which further prices Ford out of the picture. I mean like a $3K warranty add on, even from a discount warranty dealer...
The e boost engines wont make sticker unless you drive like I do and when towing you can totally forget mpg’s.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I grew up a die-hard Ford guy. Have had many Ford trucks, as well as GM, Toyota, Nissan, Ram, etc.

There is no way I'd pick the Ford over the Ram right now. Just no way. Ford has completely lost touch with their consumer base. They're still trying to appease the 55-85 year old crowd with their styling, interior, and specs. And from a quality stand-point they just aren't where they need to be anymore. Also, that 3.5L EcoBust engine is a train wreck. Carbon coking on valves, TSB and recall lists a mile long, and a complete nightmare to work on. Plus they drink gas at alarming rates if you tow. Avoid that like the plague if you can. I had better luck with the Coyote V8. And I have a friend with a quarter-million miles on his Coyote V8. But overall, the Ford truck is probably the last one on the list for me these days. That company has fallen so far. It's sad.
Yep. My buddy had to have his camshaft replaced in his 2018 EcoBoost at 60k km (40,000 miles). Then multiple computer issues. He ended up trading it in....on another EcoBoost.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I should point out i’m looking Hemi vs Coyote and will be adding Borla’s midrange exhaust got either. I’ll be towing a 6-7,000 lbs enclosed car hauler 6-10 times per year for 4-10 hour drives each.
I've always loved Ford trucks, but my biggest gripe was when I went to buy a new STX FX4 for about $42k...they told me I needed to pay an extra $4k just to get the V8, and another $2k for the color white....that really pissed me off. So I got my 2019 Ram Hemi 4x4 with 15k miles for $28k haha.

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The thing about the Coyote is there is an insane amount of aftermarket support, ease of tuning and pretty much anything that works on the Mustang will work on the F150. Even with the update the interior is still lacking compared to the Ram. I mean they added a bigger screen and some gimmicky features but the interior still looks similar to the prior gen which is a sea of hard nasty plastic.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The thing about the Coyote is there is an insane amount of aftermarket support, ease of tuning and pretty much anything that works on the Mustang will work on the F150. Even with the update the interior is still lacking compared to the Ram. I mean they added a bigger screen and some gimmicky features but the interior still looks similar to the prior gen which is a sea of hard nasty plastic.
Totally agree! But I'll tell you this...I'd take the f-150 interior over a GM interior ANY day lol.

Maconi

Reaction score
Uconnect 12 is a downgrade compared to 8.4 in terms of smart-phone connectivity and was already behind GMC's and Ford's options which are by the way free. The new F-150 gets an improved Sync too so the Ram falls further behind.

The 2021 Ram has a new version of Uconnect as well doesn't it? Maybe it's more comparable now.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's not trash by any means compared to the latest Sync 4 or even 3. Compared to 2 yes. :)

Both UConnect and Sync 3/4 are nice and work well with Carplay/AA.
I liked sync in my 2013 F-150 but the touchscreen sync never worked well for me on my 2014 Edge. Always had better luck with Uconnect...and that's with different phones too. Maybe it's just me lol.

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 2021 Ram has a new version of Uconnect as well doesn't it? Maybe it's more comparable now.

It hasn’t been confirmed if Uconnect 5 will be in the 2021 MY. The Ram will be getting it, but the big question is “when?”

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Totally agree! But I'll tell you this...I'd take the f-150 interior over a GM interior ANY day lol.
The new F-150, yes. The outgoing model...a little "Tonka" for me. But rumor has it that GM will drop one of their SUV-style interiors into the pickups, and that will definitely help.

I'm not a loyalist to any brand. Ram raised the bar with the 5th-gen. But we're already seeing evidence that Ford and GM will react and probably do just enough to make choosing a truck (once again) a very difficult decision.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In this end this is good for everyone. The truck wars are on, Ram fired a warning shot off the bow of both companies and the sales prove it. While the Ram will never outsell the F150, they certainly caught the competitors attention. This will bring more innovation, better technology, and better trucks for all. I personally can't wait to see a refresh of the engine choices for the ram. The EcoDiesel is awesome, but I feel the Hemi while it's tried and true, is getting a little long in the tooth.

My neighbor has a 2017 or 2018 Sierra and he came over the other day to check our my new EcoDiesel limited and was blown away by the interior. He's strongly considering getting his own EcoDiesel for towing his travel trailer. I'm going to let him take it for a "test tow" and see what he thinks about it.

Brianziggy64

Reaction score
The new F-150, yes. The outgoing model...a little "Tonka" for me. But rumor has it that GM will drop one of their SUV-style interiors into the pickups, and that will definitely help.

I'm not a loyalist to any brand. Ram raised the bar with the 5th-gen. But we're already seeing evidence that Ford and GM will react and probably do just enough to make choosing a truck (once again) a very difficult decision.

Here are the 2 interiors that are due on 2 of GM’s 2021 SUV’s. Rumor has it in the truck world that one of them (nobody knows which one) will make it into GM’s 2021 MY trucks. I am not brand loyal either when it comes to spending my hard earned money. But in my opinion either interior is maybe better than their current interior, but I still believe RAM is King when it comes to truck interiors, even over either of these 2 or Fords new one. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 90B608BF-CDD3-4961-85C7-41A3877E6B51.png
    90B608BF-CDD3-4961-85C7-41A3877E6B51.png
    768.2 KB · Views: 105
  • F3A71E3D-C161-4E31-A026-25917371B30A.png
    F3A71E3D-C161-4E31-A026-25917371B30A.png
    1,005.7 KB · Views: 103
U

User_3336

Not a fan of the "stick-up" touchscreen. Image on the LEFT looks ok for a new model year.

I remember that on the ENCORE. Hiddeous. Next model year, it was integrated into the dash.

The ALTIMA, on the other hand, was integrated into the dash, now it sticks right up there in the way. Hiddeous!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Sir Ramcelot

Reaction score
Here are the 2 interiors that are due on 2 of GM’s 2021 SUV’s. Rumor has it in the truck world that one of them (nobody knows which one) will make it into GM’s 2021 MY trucks. I am not brand loyal either when it comes to spending my hard earned money. But in my opinion either interior is maybe better than their current interior, but I still believe RAM is King when it comes to truck interiors, even over either of these 2 or Fords new one. Thoughts?

They are both meh. Going to a 10” screen from their 8” but most of the interior is the same. Same plastics, dull steering wheel, dull instrument cluster and poor use of wood. If GM wanted to really compete, they’d been better off using the 2021 Cadillac Escalade interior.

Attachments

• 59DB7BD2-1B37-428A-9992-FF30AD3B9F96.jpeg
    59DB7BD2-1B37-428A-9992-FF30AD3B9F96.jpeg
    63.2 KB · Views: 73
  • 787FCBE8-EC87-4BF3-A28D-B1FC65902042.jpeg
    787FCBE8-EC87-4BF3-A28D-B1FC65902042.jpeg
    120.7 KB · Views: 75

Users who are viewing this thread