5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VIDEO: We Take An In-Depth Look At The 2022 Ram 1500 G/T Package!

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

VIDEO: We Take An In-Depth Look At The 2022 Ram 1500 G/T Package!​

We Go In-Depth With The New Uconnect 5 System Too...​

RAM has been doing a good job of continually updating the fifth-generation Ram 1500 since it debuted for the 2019 model year. Every year, there has been new content added and that hasn’t changed going into 2022. The 2022 Ram 1500 gains an all-new G/T Package for Rebel, Canadian Sport, and Laramie trim levels, along with the new Uconnect 5 infotainment system featuring Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I test drove a Laramie with the GT package and was very unimpressed.
The shifter in the middle shifted backwards, the paddle shifters were awkwardly placed and super hard to hit/required too much pressure, and the exhaust sounded good not great.

Getting a regular shifter not the circle should be a standard feature not a expensive trim requirement.
I say your better off getting a regular trim and adding the mods yourself

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I test drove a Laramie with the GT package and was very unimpressed.
The shifter in the middle shifted backwards, the paddle shifters were awkwardly placed and super hard to hit/required too much pressure, and the exhaust sounded good not great.

Getting a regular shifter not the circle should be a standard feature not a expensive trim requirement.
I say your better off getting a regular trim and adding the mods yourself
Shifter shifted backwards…how else would it shift? Forwards? Sideways? All shifters have typically been front to back if in the console.

When you did your test drive, did the shifter actually shift like it was mechanical (despite most likely being an electronic shifter)? What I'm referring to is the Dodge Chargers have a similar shifter but that thing is fully electronic and I'm certainly not a fan of it. And am old school so would prefer a column shifter like the 2500/3500 series...perhaps that is what you're referring to...

Last edited:

Awood05

Reaction score
Nice Video. Good to see the packages that RAM is offering. Don’t think it’ll get me out of my TRX though. 😉

I do wholeheartedly agree that the Ford 10-speed transmission sucks. I love the way the 8-speed in these trucks handles. Smooth and efficient.

I’m one of the few that personally prefers the console shifter over the rotary dial. I don’t feel that there was that much console space lost. IMO.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Shifter shifted backwards…how else would it shift? Forwards? Sideways? All shifters have typically been front to back if in the console.

When you did your test drive, did the shifter actually shift like it was mechanical (despite most likely being an electronic shifter)? What I'm referring to is the Dodge Chargers have a similar shifter but that thing is fully electronic and I'm certainly not a fan of it. And am old school so would prefer a column shifter like the 2500/3500 series...perhaps that is what you're referring to...
The shifter in the middle does tiptronic shifting. It's backwards.... If you shift up\forward it DOWN SHIFTS you which is *** backwards from very vehicle ive ever drove like my Mustang of Infinity G35. As far as being mechanical I believe they are all electronic, I know the GT package one was. The shifter itself is fine but if you want to shift manually with it, it's legit backwards.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The shifter in the middle does tiptronic shifting. It's backwards.... If you shift up\forward it DOWN SHIFTS you which is *** backwards from very vehicle ive ever drove like my Mustang of Infinity G35. As far as being mechanical I believe they are all electronic, I know the GT package one was. The shifter itself is fine but if you want to shift manually with it, it's legit backwards.
Understand now. Thanks!

Awood05

Reaction score
Not if you relate it to a standard manual. Ignoring the “crossovers” when you pull the shifter towards you, you are upshifting. Away from you, downshifting.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Not if you relate it to a standard manual. Ignoring the “crossovers” when you pull the shifter towards you, you are upshifting. Away from you, downshifting.
Yeah except this is NOT a manual. I would assume it to shift like every other automatic with a manual\sports shifting mode not backwards.

Even the salesperson said everyone complains about it when they test drive the GTs

I'm sure it's something you can get used to but I find it's a really weird design choice these kinds of shifters are nothing new.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Every "manual" shifting auto I have driven, granted they have all been Mopars, shifted just that way, and it makes sense to me. As you are accelerating, pull back to shift up. The forces from accelerating help with that. Push forward to downshift, or slow down. Kind of like a paddle shifter, pull it towards you to upshift

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Every "manual" shifting auto I have driven, granted they have all been Mopars, shifted just that way, and it makes sense to me. As you are accelerating, pull back to shift up. The forces from accelerating help with that. Push forward to downshift, or slow down. Kind of like a paddle shifter, pull it towards you to upshift
Must be a Dodge thing... Ford, Infinity, Subaru all shift like I posted above.
Question, do you play video games? If so do you play with inverted sticks?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I do not game, but if I did, I would probably set the shifts to be in the left right triggers with right being up and left being down.

Just because you are used to it being one way, doesn't make it wrong, just makes it different than you are used to.

Bigdumps

Reaction score
Whoa you play with inverted controls? Lol I'm a alway up person. Lol

As for the G/T manual shifter, I hardly ever use it or the paddles to shift. But pulling down to shift up makes sense to me, same as pulling the paddle towards me shifts up.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I do not game, but if I did, I would probably set the shifts to be in the left right triggers with right being up and left being down.

Just because you are used to it being one way, doesn't make it wrong, just makes it different than you are used to.

My wife’s VW shifts same as GT. At first it was odd but you get used to it. Frankly I find any shifting without a clutch pedal to be extremely foreign.

jgmac98

Reaction score
I agree that the direction of the manual shift seems backwards. Bigger complaint I have is the lag when using the paddle shifters, it takes at least 1 second after you pull it for the gear to change. Some may say 1 second is quick, but it is very noticable and for that reason really kills the "sport" feeling of the paddle shifters. I'll probably only use them to down shift to pass someone.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree that the direction of the manual shift seems backwards. Bigger complaint I have is the lag when using the paddle shifters, it takes at least 1 second after you pull it for the gear to change. Some may say 1 second is quick, but it is very noticable and for that reason really kills the "sport" feeling of the paddle shifters. I'll probably only use them to down shift to pass someone.

Is there any difference in responsiveness when using the paddles in Sport mode vs Normal?

Hoping so, as it seems to be a software issue since the hardware is the same as TRX and other SRT products.

jgmac98

Reaction score
whether I have the console shifter in Drive or Manual (is that what you mean by Sport Mode vs Normal mode?) does not make a difference in shift timings. It's something i'm going to bring up with the dealership next visit. I'm pretty sure it's a different transmission completely from the TRX, so while the hardware in the truck cab is the same, the delay could be due to the transmission itself. I've seen other complaints online about poor response time.

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's called Torque Management, and can likely be tuned out, but not by the dealer. Will need an unlocked PCM and a tune.

Raydar

Reaction score
The bass-ackwards shift pattern could be made "user configurable". It's just contacts and software. Ram ought to jump on that.
Bury it in the "controls" menu, along with whether or not the mirrors tilt down when you shift into reverse.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The bass-ackwards shift pattern could be made "user configurable". It's just contacts and software. Ram ought to jump on that.
Bury it in the "controls" menu, along with whether or not the mirrors tilt down when you shift into reverse.
Maybe Ram his it right, and other cars you have driven are backwards.

Users who are viewing this thread