5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vibration over 70

Hb92

Reaction score
I know there's many threads. Read through a ton.

From what I can see there's no solution other than a temporary fix by replacing tires until the vibration comes back. The vibration is felt through the floor & seats mostly. Occasionally the steering wheel starts to shimmy too when decelerating on an exit ramp for example. Had the truck full with passengers yesterday and we all felt it.

Vehicle is a 22 1500 with the off-road package, so Falken Wildpeak tires. I got Falken to agree to refund the tires even though they're factory equipment as I know I'll make no progress with a dealership.

Any new ideas or developments on this?

Is the solution in rotating the tires every 3k?

Last edited by a moderator:

cervelo15

Reaction score
Just throwing this out there too: try and get the tires road force balanced. I had a slight vibration with my BFGs (overall, very smooth though). Just had them rotated and road force balanced and it better than butta

There is a difference between road force and regular balance. I feel like the tire shop I initially took them to for mounting kinda jipped me with not doing the road force balance. But then again, I think you have to ask specifically for it.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just throwing this out there too: try and get the tires road force balanced. I had a slight vibration with my BFGs (overall, very smooth though). Just had them rotated and road force balanced and it better than butta

There is a difference between road force and regular balance. I feel like the tire shop I initially took them to for mounting kinda jipped me with not doing the road force balance. But then again, I think you have to ask specifically for it.
This is so true, not all shops have road force balancer

Hb92

Reaction score

I appreciate it. I'm at discount tire now as I have already opened a warranty claim with Fallen & they'll credit me back for the tires despite them being OEM equipment. I know I will get absolutely nowhere with a dealership who refused to check balance despite being within my 12k everything warranty.

Something interesting they found is, the tires were made in 2019 but my truck was built Oct '21.

I will likely be buying cooper AT3.

If the vibe is still present I'm going to keep parking it at the dealer until I have enough paperwork for lemon law.

Last edited:

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hi,

We see that you have received some great advice from your fellow forum members! However, if these suggestions do not address your concern and you decide to visit your dealer, our team would be happy to offer additional assistance throughout that process! We're available via private message.

Callie
Ram Cares

U

User_3336

I appreciate it. I'm at discount tire now as I have already opened a warranty claim with Fallen & they'll credit me back for the tires despite them being OEM equipment. I know I will get absolutely nowhere with a dealership who refused to check balance despite being within my 12k everything warranty.

Something interesting they found is, the tires were made in 2019 but my truck was built Oct '21.

I will likely be buying cooper AT3.

If the vibe is still present I'm going to keep parking it at the dealer until I have enough paperwork for lemon law.
We'll see you back later when you discover the tires really aren't the underlying issue.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We'll see you back later when you discover the tires really aren't the underlying issue.
I mean, it could be. One of my factory tires (Falken Wildpeaks) had insane lateral runout. Dealer replaced immediately.

cervelo15

Reaction score
I mean, it could be. One of my factory tires (Falken Wildpeaks) had insane lateral runout. Dealer replaced immediately.
So take this with a grain of salt, but I had a buddy run Wildpeaks for a while and he just switched over to Cooper AT3s this spring. He loves the AT3s over the Wildpeaks. I was rabidly looking for Wildpeaks the end of last year, but they weren’t available anywhere I looked. Glad I didn’t get them since they are hogs when it comes to weight.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So take this with a grain of salt, but I had a buddy run Wildpeaks for a while and he just switched over to Cooper AT3s this spring. He loves the AT3s over the Wildpeaks. I was rabidly looking for Wildpeaks the end of last year, but they weren’t available anywhere I looked. Glad I didn’t get them since they are hogs when it comes to weight.
I use Cooper Tires on all my vehicles, I'm just waiting for these Wildpeaks to wear out first before I change the RAM over. No reason to spend the $$$ early so long as they don't drive me insane.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I just picked up my new Laramie on Saturday. It has the 20x9 wheels and Bridgestone tires.

At about 40 MPH it starts to vibrate. By 55 MPH it's a paint shaker. Above that vehicles in the rear view mirror appear to be dancing.

I thought when I left the dealership with 9 miles on the odometer that the tires were probably just flat spotted. But now with 80 miles on the truck there is no improvement at all.

I could and should take it back to the dealership and let them look at it, and I still may, but they're pretty far from where I live and it's hard to make time in my schedule to spend a day over there.

So you guys are saying that the vibration is usually from the front CV axles? Is it the axles that are bad or the differential side gears?

Wmcastillo28

Reaction score
I just picked up a used 2020 Bighorn about a month ago. EXACT same symptoms! (Shaking/Vibration around highway speeds. Kind of goes in and out. Bad enough to vibrate your voice when speaking. Vibration in the truck, not steering.)
Replaced wheels and tires thinking that would help (possible bent wheel due to some scuffing) along with the road force balancing. Defiantly seemed to help, but it's still there. Not quite as forceful as it was, but its there.
Finally took to stealership yesterday and basically the entire front end is getting replaced. Both front axels were shot, and they said that something was wrong in the front differential and it all needed replaced. costing me 4500$. At this point I'm just like whatever.
First time buying such an expensive vehicle, what's another 5k on it.. I'm just hoping that after this, the truck will actually drive like a 3 yr old, $50k truck. My 2008 minivan I traded in had a smoother ride than this damn thing (didn't test drive on highway, i'm an idiot i know)
Passenger Side Vibration
Driver Side Vibration

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just picked up a used 2020 Bighorn about a month ago. EXACT same symptoms! (Shaking/Vibration around highway speeds. Kind of goes in and out. Bad enough to vibrate your voice when speaking. Vibration in the truck, not steering.)
Replaced wheels and tires thinking that would help (possible bent wheel due to some scuffing) along with the road force balancing. Defiantly seemed to help, but it's still there. Not quite as forceful as it was, but its there.
Finally took to stealership yesterday and basically the entire front end is getting replaced. Both front axels were shot, and they said that something was wrong in the front differential and it all needed replaced. costing me 4500$. At this point I'm just like whatever.
First time buying such an expensive vehicle, what's another 5k on it.. I'm just hoping that after this, the truck will actually drive like a 3 yr old, $50k truck. My 2008 minivan I traded in had a smoother ride than this damn thing (didn't test drive on highway, i'm an idiot i know)
Passenger Side Vibration
Driver Side Vibration

That's just terrible. Absolute garbage. I've been around these IFS trucks since the late 1980s. I've never in my life seen that on any brand. My faith in these Rams is slowly eroding away.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I just picked up my new Laramie on Saturday. It has the 20x9 wheels and Bridgestone tires.

At about 40 MPH it starts to vibrate. By 55 MPH it's a paint shaker. Above that vehicles in the rear view mirror appear to be dancing.

I thought when I left the dealership with 9 miles on the odometer that the tires were probably just flat spotted. But now with 80 miles on the truck there is no improvement at all.

I could and should take it back to the dealership and let them look at it, and I still may, but they're pretty far from where I live and it's hard to make time in my schedule to spend a day over there.

So you guys are saying that the vibration is usually from the front CV axles? Is it the axles that are bad or the differential side gears?
Unless you don't want the dealership to fix it, keep avoiding them.

Or, take the time (yeah, I know) and leave it with them after having the service manager go for a drive with you on the highway. If the vibration is so bad that he gets frightened and screams, so much the better.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Reading through all the threads I’m noticing a bit of a pattern.

Guys say the Rebel trucks don’t vibrate.

My 2020 North Edition with 20x9 “flower petal” wheels didn’t vibrate.

My buddy’s 2022 Backcountry doesn’t vibrate.

What do all those trucks have in common? The off-road suspension package.

Likewise, the guys with Bighorns and Laramies and no off-road suspension are the ones who have vibrations. My ’22 Laramie is the first Ram I’ve had with the shake.

Could it be that the root of the issue lies in the suspension on the non-off road trims? Shocks aren’t up to the task? Sway bar too rigid? Coils?

Wmcastillo28

Reaction score
Reading through all the threads I’m noticing a bit of a pattern.

Guys say the Rebel trucks don’t vibrate.

My 2020 North Edition with 20x9 “flower petal” wheels didn’t vibrate.

My buddy’s 2022 Backcountry doesn’t vibrate.

What do all those trucks have in common? The off-road suspension package.

Likewise, the guys with Bighorns and Laramies and no off-road suspension are the ones who have vibrations. My ’22 Laramie is the first Ram I’ve had with the shake.

Could it be that the root of the issue lies in the suspension on the non-off road trims? Shocks aren’t up to the task? Sway bar too rigid? Coils?
Not to sure. This is my first ram and it has the Air Suspension.

Users who are viewing this thread