5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very dimly lit dash panel

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
The only thing is with my Silverado I had previously, the instrument panel lighting was separate from the head lights. So if you ran the windshield wipers during the day, the headlights came on but the instrument panel wouldn't dim like the Rams. Like I said, it's the one annoyance I have with this truck.
None of my others vehicles did this either. My 2012 Jeep grand Cherokee had the same behavior as my ram. Most vehicles use the light sensor on top of the dash to adjust the back lighting. Not sure why FCA didn’t get with the program

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The only thing is with my Silverado I had previously, the instrument panel lighting was separate from the head lights. So if you ran the windshield wipers during the day, the headlights came on but the instrument panel wouldn't dim like the Rams. Like I said, it's the one annoyance I have with this truck.

Turn off the headlights with wipers setting in UConnect.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
The only thing with that is that in my State, it's required by law that if your wipers are on, your headlights are to be on, too.

Really? Where do you live? North Korea. That has got to be the most ridiculous thing I have heard in a while.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Really? Where do you live? North Korea. That has got to be the most ridiculous thing I have heard in a while.
Required in Ohio also. Why you think ridiculous? It's so other drivers can see you better, visibility being reduced in the rain.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Required in Ohio also. Why you think ridiculous? It's so other drivers can see you better, visibility being reduced in the rain.

I live in the Pacific North Wet and I've never had a problem seeing other vehicles when it's raining in the daytime.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I find it also helps to see a vehicle in front of you during a down pour, because the tail lights are on. Just an extra safety precaution. I guess that’s why it’s built into most new vehicles.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've seen it rain so hard that I couldn't even tell where the road was, and just had to stop until it let up a bit. Yeah in the middle of the road, and apparently everyone else did too. Scary, but we all apparently survived.

HemiDude

Reaction score
I live in the Pacific North Wet and I've never had a problem seeing other vehicles when it's raining in the daytime.
I live in Ohio, and agree that it seems like an unneeded law on the surface. Almost every vehicle now has running lights during the daytime, but the taillights don't necessarily light up automatically, which I think might be a bigger concern. That said, I rarely turn my headlights on solely due to rain, unless it's heavy

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Sometimes people will even turn on the hazard lights if it’s really heavy rain.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Now I know why I've never heard of this law. 18 out of 50 states and most are in the east. California being the exception, but not surprising.

Headlights with wiper states.jpg

Sometimes people will even turn on the hazard lights if it’s really heavy rain.

Which is illegal in Louisiana. :LOL:

Screenshot 2022-10-27 080426.jpg

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's easy enough to avoid driving during one of the few times it rains in AZ. But then again, we're supposed to turn our lights on if you drive during dust storms...except if you pull over, then you turn them off so people don't follow you and ram into your parked car.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lights should always be on when raining. Ask any trucker if they can see a car in their side mirrors when it's raining with all the road spray. They can't but they can see you if you have your lights on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/