5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vented seat module?

Grey03svt

Reaction score
I'm swapping Laramie seats into my Bighorn. I have the vented seat button programmed with alfaobd to my 12in screen but not doing anything when I press it. Just an audible tone..

Is there a module I need to add, or is there a module in the seat that needs wiring to the harness?

I'm hoping theres a setting in alfaobd that needs to be activated that I missed. To be clear, the heated seats work and all the positions for the power seat work.

Any input would be appreciated!

Grey03svt

Reaction score
Experimented with turning on the "memory vented seats present" even though I do not have memory anything, and still nothing.

One thing to note is that when I have the seat harness unplugged and press the heated seat button on the screen, it lights up, but when press vent seat it does not light up whether the seat is plugged in or unplugged. So either its wiring to the seat harness, or its alfaobd settings. Either way I have no idea where to start!

I did notice when I ran my system ID I did not see a "vented seat module". So maybe its wiring on missing to the my harness and the module is in the seat...

Attachments

• 20200130_191112.jpg
    20200130_191112.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 137
  • 20200130_201536.jpg
    20200130_201536.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 135

Daverous

Reaction score
You ever sort this? Going down the same path to add vented to my rebel.

Thanks!

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'd be curious to know as well. Lack of ventilated seats was the deciding factor on me getting a Laramie w/ORG versus a Rebel. You can't get them even with the Rebel 12 package, which gets you luxury leather trimmed seats. I can't understand why you can't get ventilated seats on a truck that has nearly every other creature comfort.

Daverous

Reaction score
Exactly. Went with the rebel 12 since I couldn't get the panoramic sunroof with an ecodiesel in the laramie trim, but couldn't get 360 camera and vented seats in a rebel. Figured I could add vented seats and a 360 easier than the sunroof... Not a fan of the looks on the limited and longhorn before anyone asks...

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Not a fan of the looks on the limited and longhorn before anyone asks...
Or the $10k price difference? ;)

I wasn't a fan of the looks on those trim levels either, until I saw a 2020 Limited with the black appearance pkg. Zero chrome. Looks amazing, which is why we bought it for the wife LOL. For my daily driver I wanted something a little less expensive. I also didn't want the air suspension. Looking back I have a few regrets with the Laramie I ended up buying. But I have really enjoyed the ventilated seats. I'm glad I wasn't disappointed with them, otherwise my decision against getting a Rebel would sting more LOL. Not the best picture, but it's the only one I have with both trucks...

IMG_0163.jpg

Daverous

Reaction score
10k didn't hurt! It was definitely the chrome and the tiny looking headlights that got me in the end. Yours looks much better in all black.

Not to put words in the OP mouth(and another hearty thank you!) but I did ask via PM and it is now working. Looks like one of the control modules was in the passenger seat(which I'm guessing wasn't plugged up at the time of the test?). Also took a few cycles for my vented button to appear, after activating with alfaobd, on the screen but it's now there as well. And FYI to anyone that finds this via Google like me the rebel 12 leather does seem to work just fine once you get the vented parts added under them.

I'll try the rear next.

Last edited:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Mind if I ask how much this cost, all in, to convert the front seats to ventilated?

Grey03svt

Reaction score
Mind if I ask how much this cost, all in, to convert the front seats to ventilated?
I found a full set of laramie seats from a bone yard with blown air bags for $900. I swapped my air bags in and had someone sew new zippers in the seats.
Truck harnesses plug right in. Also will gain power seat on the passenger side.
Nothing else is needed but alfaobd/bypass cable to program the 12" for the vented seat buttons to appear. For the 8.4" im not sure since they are physical buttons.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I found a full set of laramie seats from a bone yard with blown air bags for $900. I swapped my air bags in and had someone sew new zippers in the seats.
Truck harnesses plug right in. Also will gain power seat on the passenger side.
Nothing else is needed but alfaobd/bypass cable to program the 12" for the vented seat buttons to appear. For the 8.4" im not sure since they are physical buttons.
Not sure I could rely on finding an interior in good condition, at an affordable price. I wonder what the parts would cost if you wanted to add them to a Rebel with the upgraded leather interior? And whether you could even install those parts into the Rebel seats? Tried discussing this with my dealer when I was buying, but they were clueless about whether it could even be done, and told me it would be expensive. I figured at the time (and still do) that they just didn't want to deal with it. Thanks for the info! Glad it worked out for you.

Daverous

Reaction score
I went with used seats from a wreck and put my covers on them(rebel 12 onto limited seat frames). I did it because I got a decent deal on front, rear, and console at 1500 bucks in perfect shape. I assume I'll recoup some cash once done on the parts I don't use. I wanted to try the rear seat swap as well so it made sense.

That being said a parts blow up shows you'd need to add two each of 68267089AB, 68267093AC, 68267081AC, 68267092AD. Looking at it all without the cover it still looks pretty much plug and play(and glue....). The cost of 2 each of all those parts works out to around 300 bucks.

Edit* after running everything down its several additional parts over just the bags and blowers! While still possible to do expect to spend nearly as much as buying a set of seats due to the cost of new oem parts.

Last edited:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks Dave, this will definitely be in my thought process for my next truck if they still don't offer ventilated seats in the Rebel (assuming I go with Ram, and they still offer the Rebel LOL).

Grey03svt

Reaction score
Check out car-part .com thats where I got my set at a decent price

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Check out car-part .com thats where I got my set at a decent price
That's a great site. I used to use it all the time when I worked on my own vehicles more often. I won't let ventilated seats affect my decision on my next truck now that I know that they can be added affordably. Although it would be a lot easier if they would just offer that in all models LOL.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure I could rely on finding an interior in good condition, at an affordable price. I wonder what the parts would cost if you wanted to add them to a Rebel with the upgraded leather interior? And whether you could even install those parts into the Rebel seats? Tried discussing this with my dealer when I was buying, but they were clueless about whether it could even be done, and told me it would be expensive. I figured at the time (and still do) that they just didn't want to deal with it. Thanks for the info! Glad it worked out for you.
I've been looking into this. I think the biggest issue is determining if the Rebel seats are actually perforated or not. I haven't taken mine apart to check.

From what I've found you can get everything needed to install in your seats for around $200/seat. Then just program with AlfaOBD. *Looking at the parts list @Daverous has matches mine. Looks like the cost has dropped even further to around $130-150/seat.

tdb0021

Reaction score
10k didn't hurt! It was definitely the chrome and the tiny looking headlights that got me in the end. Yours looks much better in all black.

Not to put words in the OP mouth(and another hearty thank you!) but I did ask via PM and it is now working. Looks like one of the control modules was in the passenger seat(which I'm guessing wasn't plugged up at the time of the test?). Also took a few cycles for my vented button to appear, after activating with alfaobd, on the screen but it's now there as well. And FYI to anyone that finds this via Google like me the rebel 12 leather does seem to work just fine once you get the vented parts added under them.

I'll try the rear next.

Were you able to enable rear heated/vented seats? I just added leather seats from a laramie into my lonestar. I imagine there is some wiring that needs to be added as i could not find an unused harness near the back seat.

FM45

Reaction score

Daverous

Reaction score
^ this. Located in the seat back of the driver's side 40 split seat. There is an additional harness as well that I'll get the part number for when I get home.

I still haven't jumped into the install on the rear yet. Planning on it this weekend once I get my covers switched over. The initial attempt failed due to the wrong seats. I wanted the reclining feature but also wanted to keep my rebel 12 black covers. Obviously my covers wouldn't work so I ended up starting with a set of non-reclining laramie seats. Just haven't gotten done yet.

cubsfaninsc

Reaction score
^ this. Located in the seat back of the driver's side 40 split seat. There is an additional harness as well that I'll get the part number for when I get home.

I still haven't jumped into the install on the rear yet. Planning on it this weekend once I get my covers switched over. The initial attempt failed due to the wrong seats. I wanted the reclining feature but also wanted to keep my rebel 12 black covers. Obviously my covers wouldn't work so I ended up starting with a set of non-reclining laramie seats. Just haven't gotten done yet.
Following this, as my kids would love it if I could add heat and possibly ventilation to their rear seats in my truck. They fight on who gets "shotgun" if it is just the three of us!

tdb0021

Reaction score

great! Seems like it won’t be too much of a pain to add. I was on the fence on if I should worry about the rear not working, but I’m also one to want every feature on my truck to work.

Users who are viewing this thread