5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Used Etorque Generator Programming Issue.

Esookma

Reaction score
Has anyone on here had any experience replacing a Etorque generator with a used one?

I recently had mine go out (sounded like a bad bearing) so I called the dealership and the part was backordered. Couldn't afford to have my truck out of service for weeks so I went searching and found a used unit off a new truck for $700. Install was simple and easy but you are supposed to flash it for it to work properly. No big deal I was just going to take it to the dealership and pay them to do it. Got to the dealership today and they're telling me they can't reprogram it because the previous VIN is "Burned into it" so they won't even touch it. Currently the trucks running fine but its throwing codes and the engine lights on which is annoying. I have Alpha OBD but as far as I know you can't do anything with the MGU on there. Anyone have any insight? Currently debating just ripping the broken unit apart and seeing if its possible to just pull the computer from that one. But i have no clue if thats even going to work and dont want to end up with 2 broken units.

Snekpete

Reaction score
Apparently it does require a dealer reflash. It sounds like you are dealing with a crooked dealership. They're really common in the RAM world. Find a more honest dealer.

Snekpete

Reaction score
Please don't tell me that RAM made it impossible to install a used MGU!

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Please don't tell me that RAM made it impossible to install a used MGU!

If that is the case you would need to buy a micropod and the dealership tool witch of cda6 to flash it.
I have flashed my HCP before, I didn't realize that was the generator itself (but that makes sense).
I think from ram the software like 3k and the micropod is 2k.

I got pirated ones for around 125 for the pod and 75 for the software.

I don't think it's farfetched to believe it would require a reflash if it's from a different truck, I don't think it has anything to do with the Vin from what I've seen, but it has different firmware depending on the engine, gearing, and if it's 2wd or 4x4 so it could be a firmware mismatch if the donor truck was not the same setup.

If it's a 2021 or older (or a 2022 3.92, 4x4 v8) I can go through my files and provide the correct HCP firmware for the truck, but you would still need the special odb2 adaptor and software to apply the flash, and dealers have access to the correct firmware anyways.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
For example these are the HCP firmware options for a 2019
PDF also attached with firmware options.
Screenshot_20240120-120124188 (1).jpg

Attachments

• FedWorldReport.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 8

Snekpete

Reaction score
There are two unresolved issues, mutually exclusive:

1) Once an MGU is flashed to a specific truck, can it be reflashed to another truck?
2) Is the dealer lying about the vin permanently tying an MGU to a VIN?

Esookma

Reaction score

1) Once an MGU is flashed to a specific truck, can it be reflashed to another truck?
Thats what im trying to figure out. I reached out to a tech I know at one of the RAM dealerships and he's trying to find out. My feeling is maybe the dealerships won't do it but it can be done. Like Darksteel stated the only thing that should matter is engine, gearing, and if it's 2wd or 4x4. I've driven about 100 miles on it so far and randomly engine light went away. Everything including stop/start is working just fine. Curious to see if it comes back. Still want to make sure everything is programmed correctly though.

Esookma

Reaction score
If that is the case you would need to buy a micropod and the dealership tool witch of cda6 to flash it.
I have flashed my HCP before, I didn't realize that was the generator itself (but that makes sense).
I think from ram the software like 3k and the micropod is 2k.

I got pirated ones for around 125 for the pod and 75 for the software.

I don't think it's farfetched to believe it would require a reflash if it's from a different truck, I don't think it has anything to do with the Vin from what I've seen, but it has different firmware depending on the engine, gearing, and if it's 2wd or 4x4 so it could be a firmware mismatch if the donor truck was not the same setup.

If it's a 2021 or older (or a 2022 3.92, 4x4 v8) I can go through my files and provide the correct HCP firmware for the truck, but you would still need the special odb2 adaptor and software to apply the flash, and dealers have access to the correct firmware anyways.
How did you get a pirated one? Does it work well? I read some people trying it and not being able to get it to work.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score

I don't see a way to flash it to a vin, as In listed the firmwares are for builds, not vins.
When I updated mine it did not say anything about a vin (I didn't run a read on it)

@Cbty2050 could you confirm if a reflash of the correct firmware will work on a new eTorque generator or if they really are tied to a vin number?

This is what I find when confirms what I think, just need the updated firmware for OP's truck (since it was taken from another truck)

This also said you shouldn't swap the components with the old and new.

HYBRID CONTROL PROCESSOR (HCP) MODULE​

The Hybrid Control Processor (HCP) Module is integral to the Motor Generator Unit (MGU). The HCP is not serviceable separately from the MGU. If the HCP is found to be faulty, the MGU must be replaced (Refer to Electrical/eTorque System/MOTOR, Generator Unit (MGU)/Removal and Installation). The new MGU is shipped blank and will need to be flashed with the correct software.

How did you get a pirated one? Does it work well? I read some people trying it and not being able to get it to work.
I haven't had much problems but it doesn't support 2022 (will still connect as through its a 2021) and you still need to pay or have a friend to get you the correct firmwares you need to flash.
It was very shady to get to be perfectly honest but I sent the info to another person and they had no problems either.

Attachments

• HCP Replacement.pdf
    557 KB · Views: 11

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thats what im trying to figure out. I reached out to a tech I know at one of the RAM dealerships and he's trying to find out. My feeling is maybe the dealerships won't do it but it can be done. Like Darksteel stated the only thing that should matter is engine, gearing, and if it's 2wd or 4x4. I've driven about 100 miles on it so far and randomly engine light went away. Everything including stop/start is working just fine. Curious to see if it comes back. Still want to make sure everything is programmed correctly though.
If you find out what firmware you need, just document the name and go to a dealership and say I want this firmware version updated on my truck. Just don't tell them you swapped the unit and I don't think it would be a problem. Just tell them before very clear "I want to pay you to update the firmware and this is the version I want on" so they don't shut down and understand it's a quick easy job.
I wouldn't call over the phone and setup an appointment either, lots of the service advisors are likely to just say no.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@Cbty2050 could you confirm if a reflash of the correct firmware will work on a new eTorque generator or if they really are tied to a vin number?
You can actually swap units from truck to to truck with no issues, the original Vin will still show up in that data, this is a non issue 99.9% of the time.
Just tell them before very clear "I want to pay you to update the firmware and this is the version I want on" so they don't shut down and understand it's a quick easy job.
The dealer can't update to a specific firmware, they can only update to the most current version.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes and No.... yes a vin is set in the MGU, but isn't critical for it to work. I have heard of dealers(wink wink) taking MGU from a new lot truck and installing in a customer truck to get them on the road. Works no problem. This could be an issue for warranty claims down the road IF anyone is looking for that info.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
You can actually swap units from truck to to truck with no issues, the original Vin will still show up in that data, this is a non issue 99.9% of the time.

The dealer can't update to a specific firmware, they can only update to the most current version.
The current version for the truck, or for the HCP?
From what I see there are differnet firmware for the HCP that relate to gear ratio for some reason. If OP went to the dealership and asked for an update they would pull it for his vin, which would be the correct one right?

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The current version for the truck, or for the HCP?
From what I see there are differnet firmware for the HCP that relate to gear ratio for some reason. If OP went to the dealership and asked for an update they would pull it for his vin, which would be the correct one right?
Correct it would pull what should be in the vehicle by the vin.

I am also curious to what codes are setting

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maybe I'm just a sledgehammer when only tweezers are needed, but why couldn't you swap the original computer guts over to the donor unit? Or move the donor bearings over to the original unit?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm just a sledgehammer when only tweezers are needed, but why couldn't you swap the original computer guts over to the donor unit? Or move the donor bearings over to the original unit?
Who knows.
Crack yours open and find out.
All the documentation I see says you can't swap the hcp (the electronics inside) but who knows if that's really true, it very well could be.

The MGU has the Hybrid Control Processor (HCP) integral to the MGU and is not serviced separately and must be replaced with the MGU

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Who knows.
Crack yours open and find out.
All the documentation I see says you can't swap the hcp (the electronics inside) but who knows if that's really true, it very well could be.

The MGU has the Hybrid Control Processor (HCP) integral to the MGU and is not serviced separately and must be replaced with the MGU

Sure. I'll jump right on that...

If the HCP is not replaceable, perhaps cannibalize the bearings from the second unit to rebuild the first.

Snekpete

Reaction score
I've been thinking about the MGU. It is used to get the truck rolling from a stop and to apply regenerative braking, and to make shifts smoother and possibly other functions that I am unaware of. In order to do all this as designed it needs to know about the truck, axle ratio and weight being important. The weight can only be determined by the VIN, the axle ratio could be manually set but with the VIN all the needed information would be available online. Most mods won't affect the weight enough to make much difference but changing tire sizes probably makes a significant difference to the MGU.

4JKay

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm new here, just wanted to share my recent experience with our Etorque problems. I had recently replaced mine this past Saturday 02/03/24. I bought a new take off MGU from Ebay for 700ish. I was driving around for nearly a month before replacing my unit. So, confirmed that my unit have a bad bearing as it has the infamous bad bearing noise, after replacing my two tensioners... Before that I replace my both tensioners and belt. Since one was having a slight squeak, or bearings slowly wearing out. With all of this stress for nearly a month, I was not looking to go to the dealership to get this all repair. It would cost me 2k-3k $$$ for this repair. A buddy of mine works at the dealership and that's the estimate he was giving me. I have a 2019 Ram Rebel at 90k ish mileage. Love this truck!

So, I decided to take the chance of replacing the unit myself. What I had done, was swap the MGU COMPUTER, which is the top part of the Alternator. I kept my original top part of the etorque and transfer it to the new unit and reinstall it back onto the truck. Guess what??? It started just fine!!! Sorry I didn't get to take much picture, but only one picture just to prove to my buddy I did it lolol.

I hope this help, because I was nearly stressing out since this problem arise. I did a month of research on the Alternator and lots of youtube but there wasn't much information on this subject. I attached a picture of the unit when it was disassembled

Attachments

• 20240203_135946.jpg
    20240203_135946.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 30

skyhawk42

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm new here, just wanted to share my recent experience with our Etorque problems. I had recently replaced mine this past Saturday 02/03/24. I bought a new take off MGU from Ebay for 700ish. I was driving around for nearly a month before replacing my unit. So, confirmed that my unit have a bad bearing as it has the infamous bad bearing noise, after replacing my two tensioners... Before that I replace my both tensioners and belt. Since one was having a slight squeak, or bearings slowly wearing out. With all of this stress for nearly a month, I was not looking to go to the dealership to get this all repair. It would cost me 2k-3k $$$ for this repair. A buddy of mine works at the dealership and that's the estimate he was giving me. I have a 2019 Ram Rebel at 90k ish mileage. Love this truck!

So, I decided to take the chance of replacing the unit myself. What I had done, was swap the MGU COMPUTER, which is the top part of the Alternator. I kept my original top part of the etorque and transfer it to the new unit and reinstall it back onto the truck. Guess what??? It started just fine!!! Sorry I didn't get to take much picture, but only one picture just to prove to my buddy I did it lolol.

I hope this help, because I was nearly stressing out since this problem arise. I did a month of research on the Alternator and lots of youtube but there wasn't much information on this subject. I attached a picture of the unit when it was disassembled
So by replacing the lower section with new and reusing your original top, was this just a parts swap without any programming at all? Might be very helpful for those with failed bearings

Users who are viewing this thread