5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USB media hub ports charge intermittently/no car play; 2019 Ram 1500 with 12" display.

Nomad

Reaction score
i seem to be having this same issue with the intermediating charging and no android auto. going to take it to the dealer tomorrow but they fought with me over the phone. telling me its my phone or im using a non certified cable bs. i explained that i have tried multiple cables and phones with all have this issue. do you think it is just the media hub? my rear ports (port 3) will only charge my phone with no android auto as well. ports 1 and 2 is where i am having the issue.
Not an android user but BIL is, nor an expert by any means. Have you checked your uconnect setting to ensure that the phone mirroring or whatever it is called is enabled for android? I know there is a setting in there for both the apple and android that has to be enabled for android auto or car play to work. Maybe it got reset?

Ram77

Reaction score
Not an android user but BIL is, nor an expert by any means. Have you checked your uconnect setting to ensure that the phone mirroring or whatever it is called is enabled for android? I know there is a setting in there for both the apple and android that has to be enabled for android auto or car play to work. Maybe it got reset?
it worked fine then one day stopped working all together

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance, But i always connect my iPhone using a usb a cable to the hub, i noticed during a road trip when my wife connects her iPhone as well the uconnect will try to hijack my connection and replace it with her iPhone, so what if we were 4 persons trying to charge what will happen? I want my iPhome to charge and use the uconnect & and other connected phones to charge only, Thanks and appreciate all your input
I believe that the only ports that will do this are the ones on the front console. If you have your passenger use the one in the center console or rear ports, you should be fine as those are power-only, not data.

DinDallas

Reaction score
Does anyone know if USB ports 1 & 2 are supposed to remain active (hot) when the vehicle is turned off? My ports periodically don't work and when they do they are consistently active.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The front two/four USB outlets stay powered for 1 hour after shutting the truck off.

dangerruss1

Reaction score
This is a Radio/Audio/USB issue; I've tried to research the existing threads, but no solution forthcoming... hoping someone on this page has the answer.

Truck Info: 2019 Dodge Ram 1500 Laredo with the 12” touchscreen display. 45,000 miles so yep it’s out of warranty.
Issue: A few months ago, the two front USB ports began malfunctioning. (please take note that prior to that, using the same cables and phones, everything worked fine).

When plugged in to an iPhone or iPad, they cycle between “charging” to not charging at 2-3 second intervals. CarPlay is impossible, because the connection is not consistent.

Initial actions taken: Swapped cords/cables, swapped devices, tried the rear seat USBs and those work normal (but they don’t allow CarPlay by design). Updated iOS, turned everything off then on. Also tried cursing at it... but no effect.

Updated.... tried the cable/iPhone combination in my Dodge Charger...CarPlay and charging cable worked perfect. ITS NOT THE CABLE.
Updated... tried the "disconnect the battery for 15 minutes, wait 30 minutes" technique... no luck -- but now my surround cameras are "offline".

Dealer wants $135 just to diagnose it... I cannot imagine that I’m the first person in history of the world to have this issue... so if it’s a known issue.??
Looking for answers...
TIA.
I have the exact same issue with our 2019 Ram Limited.

Kienvu14

Reaction score
Bumping this post as I’ve been experiencing the same. Dealer stated that they had to replace the rear media hub and that there was a TSBS on it.
They stated they fixed it, but I’ll find out tomorrow when I pick it up.

Attachments

• 374CFCCF-BF9C-450D-B802-9D1C16755311.png
    374CFCCF-BF9C-450D-B802-9D1C16755311.png
    303.1 KB · Views: 63

xardas42

Reaction score
This is my first post here and hope it helps.
I have a 2019 Power Wagon /w 12" Uconnect that worked fine with my Android phone for almost 2 years. I began experiencing all of these same issues and tried all of the proposed fixes except taking it back to the stealership. Not having Android Auto didn't justify putting it in the shop for the chance of them screwing something else up. Fast forward almost a year ... while I was attempting to move files from my phone to my laptop, my PC failed to ID my phone. Either an App or the Uconnect disabled MTP mode (data mode) of my phones USB port. I don't remember what I did to reactivate MTP, but I took it outside, fired up the truck, plugged it in with the same old USB cable and TADA ... Android Auto back in business as well as moving filies to/from my PC. I really hope this helps you guys. Cheers!

sdb69

Reaction score
Same sort of issue, but with an Iphone. 2020 RAM 1500 Limited Ecodiesel. I was on a trip where a passenger connected their iPhone to the front charging port 2 (while my iPhone was plugged into standard USB port 1) and their incoming calls and texts displayed on the screen instead of my iPhone. When they unplugged their iPhone I saw the message on the display: Device Not Supported while only my iPhone was plugged into USB port 1 where it had always been connected for 2 years. I unplugged my iPhone, re-plugged it in again, but received the same error and I noticed that the charging was intermittently on for 1 second, off for 1 second, repeat... This went on for 3 weeks. With the truck engine turned off, I disconnected the negative battery terminal for 10 seconds, then reconnected it. I started the truck and noticed the red outline on the radio display, and missing backup camera (I had seen this before when I disconnected the negative battery terminal). After 2 hours or so the display is supposed to return to the way it had been prior to the battery disconnect, but I let mine sit overnight. I turned off my iPhone's bluetooth before going to the truck. I started the truck and the radio display had returned to normal. I canceled the request to pair a phone. And I hate to add a new element to the mix, but I also decided to try for the first connection attempt a USB-C to Lightning charging cable, instead of the standard USB to Lightning charging cable (or the other one's that I had tried in the standard USB front charging port 1 prior to this). I plugged in the USB-C cable to the truck's USB-C port 1, and then connected the other end to the phone. The phone began to charge immediately and continued to charge. At the same time the Carplay screen appeared and my phone was connected and working fine again. I drove to a destination or 2 and shut the truck off again several times and Carplay continues to work, and the iPhone continues to charge again. I will try plugging something else into the front USB ports to see if they will charge. I had also tried connecting my iPhone to the standard USB ports on the rear of the console a few days before getting this working today, but the phone would not charge with standard USB from any of the ports in the truck. In case anyone else has this issue arise, and wants to try repeating my steps, Good luck.

Cbearr68

Reaction score
This is a Radio/Audio/USB issue; I've tried to research the existing threads, but no solution forthcoming... hoping someone on this page has the answer.

Truck Info: 2019 Dodge Ram 1500 Laredo with the 12” touchscreen display. 45,000 miles so yep it’s out of warranty.
Issue: A few months ago, the two front USB ports began malfunctioning. (please take note that prior to that, using the same cables and phones, everything worked fine).

When plugged in to an iPhone or iPad, they cycle between “charging” to not charging at 2-3 second intervals. CarPlay is impossible, because the connection is not consistent.

Initial actions taken: Swapped cords/cables, swapped devices, tried the rear seat USBs and those work normal (but they don’t allow CarPlay by design). Updated iOS, turned everything off then on. Also tried cursing at it... but no effect.

Updated.... tried the cable/iPhone combination in my Dodge Charger...CarPlay and charging cable worked perfect. ITS NOT THE CABLE.
Updated... tried the "disconnect the battery for 15 minutes, wait 30 minutes" technique... no luck -- but now my surround cameras are "offline".

Dealer wants $135 just to diagnose it... I cannot imagine that I’m the first person in history of the world to have this issue... so if it’s a known issue.??
Looking for answers...
TIA.
So there is a issue and the dealer knows but won’t own it lol. When I went and said something they were like well did u try this this and this . I was like man I took the same cords I use and placed them in my wife’s keep and Apple CarPlay worked fine . I also said when I go click the option for usb 1 or 2 in my truck it doesn’t even recognize them. He pissed me off so I went ahead and bought the media hub for 65 plus tax and 30 mins later of installing my CarPlay plays just fine . .

n2h2o2

Reaction score
I know this thread is a little old, but wanted to add my problem here, since it may be related to the same issues of other members......
2019 Ram 1500 DT...
Carplay issue...
When I plug in my iPhone 14 Pro into either USB 1 or 2 on the dash, everything works fine as long as my phone needs charging...It will charge and send /receive data to carplay for navigation, etc...
My problem happens when my phone is fully charged. Then the charging goes on and off every few seconds, and it also kicks the Carplay on and off...
So I usually have to disconnect my phone for a while until the battery has drained a bit...
I would like to solve this by turning the charging (power) off of one of these USB ports...
That way, I could simply switch between USB 1 or 2 if I need to charge or if I just want connectivity for Carplay.

If anyone has a fix, I would really appreciate it...

Triman11427

Reaction score
Has anyone found a fix for the USB intermittent charging issue. I've been having this when using the USB-C connection on my Peak Designs phone charger. I was thinking of buying and installing my own USB module but I can't find any YouTube videos for installation. I'm a DIY type of guy and would take this on if it doesn't entail removing the front stack. I hate bringing my truck into the dealer because I find it generally leads to other issues and months of supply chain issues. The charger works from the USB in the arm rest area, just not in the front module.

Triman11427

Reaction score
I found a video on Dash/Stack removal. Looks very easy. Ha anyone done the USB module replacement? I'm looking to see if its more involved than plug and play.

eye exaggerate

Reaction score
I found a video on Dash/Stack removal. Looks very easy. Ha anyone done the USB module replacement? I'm looking to see if its more involved than plug and play.
Just had my console out and it would be very easy to swap the media hub.

eye exaggerate

Reaction score
I was without USBs and rear heated seats for about a year, the 12v on the dash was the only one that worked. The last time I brought my truck in they quoted a bunch of thousands for media hub, 12” screen and wiring harness (everything stopped working after they had taken my dash out) replacement. Last weekend I had time and took the console out to do a bit of a mod to it, I laughed to myself and thought “maybe it’ll work when I plug it all back in” - it did. Everything works now and the intermittent bs in the media hub is gone too. Cleaned the 2 main cable connections with air, removed the clip that secures the harness on the console (sits at an odd angle) and that was that.

Imagine making 4000 in 30 mins by not spending it.

Mdeans

Reaction score
I have a 2021 ram 1500 rebel and recently had the same issue, thought the media hub was bad as I was getting device not recognized messages on the screen constantly, no CarPlay or charging.. very annoying. I was about to get the dealer to replace it, at a whopping cost of $457 for parts and labor! I cancelled upon finding out the cost. On researching forums, one person took the middle connector out of the back of the hub and things worked. I’ve come up with a much cheaper and less invasive fix. Simply get a 3.5mm connector or 3.5mm extension cable ( I used one of those and put a little electrical tape over the other end) and plug it into the aux socket. Costs about $6 on amazon and voila! No charging issues, CarPlay works fine. If someone else can try this to confirm please

eye exaggerate

Reaction score
I have a 2021 ram 1500 rebel and recently had the same issue, thought the media hub was bad as I was getting device not recognized messages on the screen constantly, no CarPlay or charging.. very annoying. I was about to get the dealer to replace it, at a whopping cost of $457 for parts and labor! I cancelled upon finding out the cost. On researching forums, one person took the middle connector out of the back of the hub and things worked. I’ve come up with a much cheaper and less invasive fix. Simply get a 3.5mm connector or 3.5mm extension cable ( I used one of those and put a little electrical tape over the other end) and plug it into the aux socket. Costs about $6 on amazon and voila! No charging issues, CarPlay works fine. If someone else can try this to confirm please
I had the same “fix” for mine, if I didn’t have the 1/8” jack plugged into aux my screen would jump constantly from input to input. Since taking the console out I have no issues with power to usbs and the media hub is working as it should. Thing is, I didn’t actually do anything, I just took the console out, did a mod (took the cd player out), put the console back in after cleaning the connectors and it all works now. Well, maybe not all, the light under my console lid stopped working. That’s fine, I’d rather have power and CarPlay again. Edit: Do you have a cd player? It’s curious to me that things work now without it.

Attachments

• IMG_5129.jpeg
    IMG_5129.jpeg
    153.6 KB · Views: 6

Mdeans

Reaction score
I had the same “fix” for mine, if I didn’t have the 1/8” jack plugged into aux my screen would jump constantly from input to input. Since taking the console out I have no issues with power to usbs and the media hub is working as it should. Thing is, I didn’t actually do anything, I just took the console out, did a mod (took the cd player out), put the console back in after cleaning the connectors and it all works now. Well, maybe not all, the light under my console lid stopped working. That’s fine, I’d rather have power and CarPlay again. Edit: Do you have a cd player? It’s curious to me that things work now without it.
No I don’t have a cd player in my 2021 ram rebel

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online