5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USB media hub ports charge intermittently/no car play; 2019 Ram 1500 with 12" display.

Lookingglass4

Reaction score
This is a Radio/Audio/USB issue; I've tried to research the existing threads, but no solution forthcoming... hoping someone on this page has the answer.

Truck Info: 2019 Dodge Ram 1500 Laredo with the 12” touchscreen display. 45,000 miles so yep it’s out of warranty.
Issue: A few months ago, the two front USB ports began malfunctioning. (please take note that prior to that, using the same cables and phones, everything worked fine).

When plugged in to an iPhone or iPad, they cycle between “charging” to not charging at 2-3 second intervals. CarPlay is impossible, because the connection is not consistent.

Initial actions taken: Swapped cords/cables, swapped devices, tried the rear seat USBs and those work normal (but they don’t allow CarPlay by design). Updated iOS, turned everything off then on. Also tried cursing at it... but no effect.

Updated.... tried the cable/iPhone combination in my Dodge Charger...CarPlay and charging cable worked perfect. ITS NOT THE CABLE.
Updated... tried the "disconnect the battery for 15 minutes, wait 30 minutes" technique... no luck -- but now my surround cameras are "offline".

Dealer wants $135 just to diagnose it... I cannot imagine that I’m the first person in history of the world to have this issue... so if it’s a known issue.??
Looking for answers...
TIA.

highgear2005

Reaction score
Is your phone locked? I noticed mine wasn’t working either. I discovered my phone was the issue, it would lock and I’d lose that connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
I have an android with USB C, but when I connect it with the USB cable, 99 times out of 100 it will do the cycle charge/no charge thing and wont connect Android Auto. All I have to do is unplug the cable at my phone and flip it 180 degrees and plug back in and it starts charging and connects AA immediately. I have no answer to why it does this, but I am living with this inconvenience and it doesnt bother me.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
This is a Radio/Audio/USB issue; I've tried to research the existing threads, but no solution forthcoming... hoping someone on this page has the answer.

Truck Info: 2019 Dodge Ram 1500 Laredo with the 12” touchscreen display. 45,000 miles so yep it’s out of warranty.
Issue: A few months ago, the two front USB ports began malfunctioning. (please take note that prior to that, using the same cables and phones, everything worked fine).

When plugged in to an iPhone or iPad, they cycle between “charging” to not charging at 2-3 second intervals. CarPlay is impossible, because the connection is not consistent.

Initial actions taken: Swapped cords/cables, swapped devices, tried the rear seat USBs and those work normal (but they don’t allow CarPlay by design). Updated iOS, turned everything off then on. Also tried cursing at it... but no effect.

Updated.... tried the cable/iPhone combination in my Dodge Charger...CarPlay and charging cable worked perfect. ITS NOT THE CABLE.
Updated... tried the "disconnect the battery for 15 minutes, wait 30 minutes" technique... no luck -- but now my surround cameras are "offline".

Dealer wants $135 just to diagnose it... I cannot imagine that I’m the first person in history of the world to have this issue... so if it’s a known issue.??
Looking for answers...
TIA.
Here you go. I had the same issue for almost a year and a half:

Richluck

Reaction score
Had this problem and solved it by smacking the USB hub really hard with my fingers like 4 times. Plugged in my phone, worked fine. It's definitely something in the hub that comes loose or bent as the previous message. Tried everything you tried. This is the only thing that worked. Before it went out for a week I saw device not supported every once in a while. When it went out for good, that message popped up every 30 seconds. Finally forced me to smack it out of anger.

bbenton1341

Reaction score
Has anyone found a resolution to this issue, other than hammering the usb hub? (I tried that too!)
I started having the same charging cycle every few seconds after getting an over the air uconnect update a couple weeks ago. Tried all things in this post. Resetting uconnect, different cables, etc.
2019 Ram 5th Gen Bighorn. It worked flawlessly for almost 2 years.
iPhone 7+. Oddly enough my wife's iPhone 12 Mini doesn't have a problem charging with the same cable, although I wasn't able to get carplay to work.

Thoughts?

GilS

Reaction score
My 8.4 has had the same issue. Has been at the dealer for a month now. Took 2 weeks for them to decide it was the radio itself. 2 weeks later, still no radio and the truck still sitting at the dealer. Hopefully you get better results but in my case I’m at wits end. Trading it in seems to be my next step

MrW’sRAM

Reaction score
Has anyone found a solution to this? Mine charges without any problems, but it does not connect to the radio whatsoever. iPhone, android, OEM cords, aftermarket cords, usb, usb-c. It doesn’t matter. Has anyone else had this same issue?

GilS

Reaction score
Still waiting. Dealer ordered a radio per FCA. Hoping that fixes the problem. Said it won’t be in until the 26th. We’ll see what happens. Been a month and a half since I brought it to the dealer. Still not feeling hopeful they’ll get it working

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Still waiting. Dealer ordered a radio per FCA. Hoping that fixes the problem. Said it won’t be in until the 26th. We’ll see what happens. Been a month and a half since I brought it to the dealer. Still not feeling hopeful they’ll get it working
It my be fine and the cable is not seated all the way. Read my other post above that I’ve linked.

Cheers,

GilS

Reaction score
Well good news. After a month and a half I finally have CarPlay again. They had to replace the radio. So far everything is working as it should thanks @RamCares

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Well good news. After a month and a half I finally have CarPlay again. They had to replace the radio. So far everything is working as it should thanks @RamCares
Glad to hear! Feels great having things working the way they’re supposed to again. Been there.

jman307

Reaction score

Looking for answers...
TIA.
If you're not able to get a media connection but still charge the battery or both are intermittent or don't work, I just had my front USB module replaced and it works as it should now! My media connection was intermittent for years and then finally just went out completely a few weeks ago. Took to the dealer, quick troubleshoot and ordered the part and a week later today all is well.

kliffy77

Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance, But i always connect my iPhone using a usb a cable to the hub, i noticed during a road trip when my wife connects her iPhone as well the uconnect will try to hijack my connection and replace it with her iPhone, so what if we were 4 persons trying to charge what will happen? I want my iPhome to charge and use the uconnect & and other connected phones to charge only, Thanks and appreciate all your input

TOAST3094

Reaction score
Alright guys I just got to the dealer for my appointment today so hopefully they're able to fix it! wish me luck @RamCares

Ram77

Reaction score
i seem to be having this same issue with the intermediating charging and no android auto. going to take it to the dealer tomorrow but they fought with me over the phone. telling me its my phone or im using a non certified cable bs. i explained that i have tried multiple cables and phones with all have this issue. do you think it is just the media hub? my rear ports (port 3) will only charge my phone with no android auto as well. ports 1 and 2 is where i am having the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread