5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USB ALWAYS ON?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Seems to depend on what truck model you have. My USBs power off after an hour of turning off the truck (you can reset by turning on/off the accessories). However my 12V on the dash turns off power right away after shutting off the truck.

Sylroc2000

Reaction score
Hi. How do you guys know that the USB turns off after an hour? I didn't see any reference to this in the manual. Just got a 2021 BigHorn and trying to figure out the best path for power to my dashcam. I suppose I can test it. My 12V on the dash has a battery symbol and stays hot after turning off the ignition If the USB does turn off at 60 minutes, I'd prefer to use that since I already routed the cable for the dash cam instead of messing with fuses for the 12V.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Hi. How do you guys know that the USB turns off after an hour? I didn't see any reference to this in the manual. Just got a 2021 BigHorn and trying to figure out the best path for power to my dashcam. I suppose I can test it. My 12V on the dash has a battery symbol and stays hot after turning off the ignition If the USB does turn off at 60 minutes, I'd prefer to use that since I already routed the cable for the dash cam instead of messing with fuses for the 12V.

It could be different on different trims, best way is to test it out. On my truck, the 12V on top turns off with the ignition about 20-30 seconds or when the door is opened right away after turning the truck off.

The USBs in the center column and rear turn off after an hour, I've tested them with a lighted USB cable to be sure.

I use a action cam as my dash cam at the moment, I have a mount on the center top of the dash with a flushed mounted 12V dual USB adaptor and a small USB cable to power it. Very convenient, since it turns on in dashcam mode when it senses power and off with the ignition cut off.

The action cam uses standard GoPro mounts, so the top mount is hidden from view in the dash pocket when I unclip the action cam when not in use. I don't want some thief trying to break into my truck to steel my cheap $50 Chinese knock-off cam thinking it's an actual GoPro. Though I am impressed with it, it has a great Dash Cam software and doesn't overheat like a lot of GoPros do.

Dashcam.jpg

Last edited:

CodeChaser

Reaction score
2020 1500 Laramie 4x4 & Sports Package ..

It appears my USBs never shut off either. Hours after shutting off truck, I can plug in and charge. My dashcam thinks its a PC. I need to install a USB power-only using accessory power.

When I unplug a device, the 4 plugs have a dim white line surrounding them which now is on. Before plugging in this was off.

Not sure why some trucks are on all of the time.

Joe_Lake

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Laramie Sport edition and mine appears to turn off after about an hour and a half.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

SD Rebel

Reaction score
2020 1500 Laramie 4x4 & Sports Package ..

It appears my USBs never shut off either. Hours after shutting off truck, I can plug in and charge. My dashcam thinks its a PC. I need to install a USB power-only using accessory power.

When I unplug a device, the 4 plugs have a dim white line surrounding them which now is on. Before plugging in this was off.

Not sure why some trucks are on all of the time.

Once you open your doors, it resets to1 hour again, that could be why you can plug and charge. Though it maybe different from trim to trim.

The 12V on the dash turns off/on with the ignition, I have my dash cam plug in directly to it. Buy a 12V / USB plug and you can power your dash cam from there.

Similar to this, it's flush mounted: https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matter...51&sprefix=flush+mount+usb+12v,aps,148&sr=8-5

CodeChaser

Reaction score
Once you open your doors, it resets to1 hour again, that could be why you can plug and charge. Though it maybe different from trim to trim.

The 12V on the dash turns off/on with the ignition, I have my dash cam plug in directly to it. Buy a 12V / USB plug and you can power your dash cam from there.

Similar to this, it's flush mounted: https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Charger-Smartphones-Including/dp/B00MH3USBE/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2FM3TSKUZWC1N&keywords=flush+mount+usb+12v&qid=1645842551&sprefix=flush+mount+usb+12v,aps,148&sr=8-5

Yea that is what one would expect based on the manual.

I waited 6+ hours after turning off the truck and exiting.

Got in the truck, everything including the USB panel, appeared to be off. I plug a tablet directly into one of the USB Type A" plugs. The table immediately started to charge and the lines around the USB port in the truck lit up.

Like others have mentioned, my USB ports are always enabled. Not sure why.

Solution for me
==========
I ended up just wiring an Accessory-controlled USB/Cigarette-Lighter Hub so that I could properly control my Dash-Cam as well as any other devices that I want to shut off when I shut-off the truck n exit.
--------------------------

"The 12V on the dash turns off/on with the ignition,"
Thanks for the tip. I know about that outlet.
=====================================
- Here in Florida the "dash area" gets over 160F using an infrared temp probe, measuring from 6 inches. It is a cheap one costing around $100, so the accuracy could be challenged.
- I prefer all of my wires to be hidden.

For me that plug is pointless. But the designers and multiple % of people find it convenient up there. I am an outlier as is referred to in statistics. I spent 6 years as an avionics electrician in the US Navy, so wiring dashboards clean n safe comes easy. Again, not everyone has these skills and/or knowledge.
------------------------------------------------
In the end though!
Agreed, strange that some of us have "always on USB" in our console.

One thing I missed, I do have a 12inch UConnect & eTorque, I wonder if either one of these makes a difference? Not sure why the eTorque would though. But the UConnect is tied to the USB Ports.

Tom

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Reaction score

Got in the truck, everything including the USB panel, appeared to be off. I plug a tablet directly into one of the USB Type A" plugs. The table immediately started to charge and the lines around the USB port in the truck lit up.

Like others have mentioned, my USB ports are always enabled. Not sure why.

Solution for me
==========
I ended up just wiring an Accessory-controlled USB/Cigarette-Lighter Hub so that I could properly control my Dash-Cam as well as any other devices that I want to shut off when I shut-off the truck n exit.
--------------------------

"The 12V on the dash turns off/on with the ignition,"
Thanks for the tip. I know about that outlet.
=====================================
- Here in Florida the "dash area" gets over 160F using an infrared temp probe, measuring from 6 inches. It is a cheap one costing around $100, so the accuracy could be challenged.
- I prefer all of my wires to be hidden.

For me that plug is pointless. But the designers and multiple % of people find it convenient up there. I am an outlier as is referred to in statistics. I spent 6 years as an avionics electrician in the US Navy, so wiring dashboards clean n safe comes easy. Again, not everyone has these skills and/or knowledge.
------------------------------------------------
In the end though!
Agreed, strange that some of us have "always on USB" in our console.

One thing I missed, I do have a 12inch UConnect & eTorque, I wonder if either one of these makes a difference? Not sure why the eTorque would though. But the UConnect is tied to the USB Ports.

Tom

Gotcha, I think it's a trim package thing, hear you on the heat, for my vehicles that are out in the sun, I use a sunshade and remove my dash cams and stick them in the glovebox. It only takes a second with the suction mounts, the only thing exposed is the USB cable coming down from the headliner.

For my RAM, I just unclip my action cam/dash cam and put it in my storage compartment, I do this mainly so some thief doesn't accidentally assume it's a GoPro and try to steal it.

TFH

Reaction score
So no way to stop the one hour delay for the front USB ports used for Android Auto? I recently got one of the devices that plug into the USB and create a wireless connection to my phone. Very useful. But when I stop the car in the garage and go into the house, I get notifications every few seconds on my phone as it's trying to connect my truck back to my phone for an hour even though my truck is off.

Nels

Reaction score
So no way to stop the one hour delay for the front USB ports used for Android Auto? I recently got one of the devices that plug into the USB and create a wireless connection to my phone. Very useful. But when I stop the car in the garage and go into the house, I get notifications every few seconds on my phone as it's trying to connect my truck back to my phone for an hour even though my truck is off.
I just came across this in uconnect a few days ago. My truck shows a choice of 15 minutes or 1 hour.

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just came across this in uconnect a few days ago. My truck shows a choice of 15 minutes or 1 hour.
Where in the settings did you find this? I see engine off options but that is for just the display, etc. Doesn't control USB. Would love a 15 min option on USB for the same reason (wireless Android auto).

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A picture is worth a thousand words ... and it would be helpful :cool:

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score

When you "got in the truck", did you open a door? Because that's exactly what @SD Rebel said would restart the 1 hour clock on the USB ports. I.e. when you open the door after 6 hours, the USB ports turn back on (for an hour).

Big Tup

Reaction score
The USBs on the center console stay live for 1 hour after ignition is turned off. It's a convenience feature so you can keep charging a cell phone left plugged in, like say you go for lunch or something.

After 1 hour, those USB shut off and will not turn on again until you turn on the accessories, after that, they start the 1 hour cycle again.

The 12V outlet on the top center dash turns off after 30 seconds of turning off the truck or if you open the door right after you turn off the ignition.

I'm not sure about the the USB in the center armrest or the rear USBs for passengers, they either shut-off right away or could also be on the 1 hour cycle..
this answer was very helpful. thanks for posting. i thought there was something wrong with mine, as the USB light turns back on if i pull the door handle when truck is locked (without key being near me) or if use my key and lock the truck twice, it will turn on after the second attempt to lock the truck. i had no idea how long it would stay on, and i thought it was draining my battery, so i would unlock the truck, open the door, close the door and lock it once and the usb light would go off and stay off, so long as i dont try to pull on the door handle or hit the lock button on the key a second time.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
this answer was very helpful. thanks for posting. i thought there was something wrong with mine, as the USB light turns back on if i pull the door handle when truck is locked (without key being near me) or if use my key and lock the truck twice, it will turn on after the second attempt to lock the truck. i had no idea how long it would stay on, and i thought it was draining my battery, so i would unlock the truck, open the door, close the door and lock it once and the usb light would go off and stay off, so long as i dont try to pull on the door handle or hit the lock button on the key a second time.

Absolutely, happy to help.

I confirmed it myself with a lighted usb cable. I can see after 1 hour it shuts down. If you cause it to reactivate, it goes back on the 1 hr cycle.

However, there are some owners who stated variations of what stays on or turns off, it seems to depend on what trim you might have.

lebnan60

Reaction score
Any success fixing this? I just got one of those wireless dongles also and I'm having the same problem. Have a 19 rebel. Haven't messed around with the fuses yet, that's my next path since I couldn't find any place in the uconnect setting to shut that option off at 15 minutes

Users who are viewing this thread