5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrading seat swap from tradesman (Heated seats)

fishingmaniac

Reaction score
Hey so I have a 5thGen trademan base model no power heated seats and the small screen, I’ve recently put a 8”screen and wanted to upgrade my seats aswell. I’ve picked up cloth seats off a 2020 same cloth as mine the power portion works great just needed to get the heated seats up and running. I’m not sure if the stock tradesman wiring allows for the heated portions of the seat to work so I was thinking about splicing it and running power or a switch to bypass it but can’t seem to figure out the diagrams as I don’t see anything online?

Right now I halve a cable running to see if I can get it going by splicing some wires and running it to a 12v battery for now just to test it before I spice my trucks wiring

2019 Ram 1500 Tradesman QuadCab
I have a 22 tradesman. I want power drivers seat. If I get a bighorn power seat is it literally plug n play?

brental1

Reaction score
I did most of the work by reverse engineering the donor harnesses, comparing to what wires were present, or absent, in my truck. So I didn't have wiring diagrams or all the connector numbers. I made most of the wiring diagrams myself and used descriptions like "Black 32". I did get some input on here from Jimmy07 and FM45. I think Jimmy gave me the XY 330A info, so I know which connector it is. On it, I had to add Pin 1 PN/BG Fused Ignition; Pin 19 GN/BR Sensor/Switch Return; Pin 27 DG/GN Heated Steering Wheel Feed; Pin 28 GY/DB Heated Steering Wheel Return: and Pin 30 RD Fused B+ (that' the one that was sneaky. The wire was present on the seat side of this connector-but missing on the truck side). Is XY 332A the one by the passenger footwell? If so, I had to add 3 PK/YL wires to Pins 8, 9, and 13. If you have these 3 present, you may really be in luck!

Quietpeen

Reaction score
I did most of the work by reverse engineering the donor harnesses, comparing to what wires were present, or absent, in my truck. So I didn't have wiring diagrams or all the connector numbers. I made most of the wiring diagrams myself and used descriptions like "Black 32". I did get some input on here from Jimmy07 and FM45. I think Jimmy gave me the XY 330A info, so I know which connector it is. On it, I had to add Pin 1 PN/BG Fused Ignition; Pin 19 GN/BR Sensor/Switch Return; Pin 27 DG/GN Heated Steering Wheel Feed; Pin 28 GY/DB Heated Steering Wheel Return: and Pin 30 RD Fused B+ (that' the one that was sneaky. The wire was present on the seat side of this connector-but missing on the truck side). Is XY 332A the one by the passenger footwell? If so, I had to add 3 PK/YL wires to Pins 8, 9, and 13. If you have these 3 present, you may really be in luck!
Man that must have been hard figuring all of that out without schematics and connector diagrams. Yes XY332A is in the passenger footwell. I have already run the 3 wires from the passenger seat to that connector. I still have to run the wires from passenger seat to drivers seat and from passenger seat to connector XY330A under the center console, plus the 2 can ihs wires to up under the dash.

I’m shocked that your truck didn’t have the wiring for the powered part of the passenger seat to work. Mine did, but maybe it was a supply chain/money savings thing change from 21 to 22. Trim level difference could play part in it too.

Quietpeen

Reaction score
i finished installing the wiring harness I made to get the heated seats and steering wheel working in my truck. I made all the changes with AlfaOBD but since I have the 12” uconnect with navigation for some reason it takes a while(sometimes days) for all the changes to populate on the screen and on top of that I don’t have physical buttons to turn it on so until they show up I can’t confirm if what I did worked or not. I will update when I know for sure that it’s working.

brental1

Reaction score
Man that must have been hard figuring all of that out without schematics and connector diagrams. Yes XY332A is in the passenger footwell. I have already run the 3 wires from the passenger seat to that connector. I still have to run the wires from passenger seat to drivers seat and from passenger seat to connector XY330A under the center console, plus the 2 can ihs wires to up under the dash.

I’m shocked that your truck didn’t have the wiring for the powered part of the passenger seat to work. Mine did, but maybe it was a supply chain/money savings thing change from 21 to 22. Trim level difference could play part in it too.
Sounds like you're making good progress. Yeah, it took me about a month of working on it almost every day! I read many posts about plug and play; but either because of MY change, Big Horn or Level 1 Equipment Group, or some combination, I was missing all those wires. After I finished, some posters asked why I didn't just swap in the complete donor harnesses. It definitiely would have been a lot less work that stealing wires and building new harnesses. But I thought--I have a brand new truck and I have no idea about the condition of the donor harnesses that might mess something (maybe more critical) up.

Quietpeen

Reaction score
Sounds like you're making good progress. Yeah, it took me about a month of working on it almost every day! I read many posts about plug and play; but either because of MY change, Big Horn or Level 1 Equipment Group, or some combination, I was missing all those wires. After I finished, some posters asked why I didn't just swap in the complete donor harnesses. It definitiely would have been a lot less work that stealing wires and building new harnesses. But I thought--I have a brand new truck and I have no idea about the condition of the donor harnesses that might mess something (maybe more critical) up.
I made great progress. It is confirmed today that the heated seats and steering wheel are working. I’ve wanted this for close to a year and a half and now finally got it done. For me buying a subscription to alldata was what made it possible. I was definitely more lucky than you that the body harness was the only harness missing wires. The IP harness had all the wires so in total I needed to add 14 wires 2 of those wires were for cooled seats which I don‘t have but it just made sense to run them for just incase and that was actually 2.5 wires because the one has a splice in it.

I don’t blame you for being worried about swapping the whole donor harness. Only way I would do that would be if I bought it new. However to swap the IP harness would probably require removing the dash which I doubt you would have wanted to do.

Last edited:

23RamBH

Reaction score
This was a great post! I have a semi related topic and since this one deals a lot with wiring and pinning, I'm going to tack on here.

I have a 2023 Ram BigHorn Level B equipment group (Heated Steering wheel & seats, Power driver seat). Threads here on the forum suggests that swapping seats in this equipment group for Driver / Passenger Powered Leather was plug and play. I picked up a pair of Laramie seats from a 2019 Ram. The only variables I had mechanically was locating the appropriate holes in the rear of the cab to accommodate the back of the rear seat frame rail. Mine were simply covered by carpet, as the reclining frame is just a little different. Also had to swap the hooks the rear seats hung from to striker plates, which were about $30 for the set from my local dealer.

Now for the fun stuff..... I want to believe that the passenger power seat switch is bad. After installing the seats, I tested out the power functions. All functions on the driver seat worked as they should, including the things my Equipment B option did not have. The passenger seat forward / backward and recline functions don't respond at all. However, the Lumbar features (which did not exist on my level B equipment group) worked in all directions, as did the heat (which was part of my equipment group). I removed the seat and inspected the wiring, which checked out (no chafing or grounding issues). I unplugged each motor and tested them individually in all directions, which all checked out (I direct powered each motor individually to adjust the seat in the truck after bench testing - we needed the seat in a comfortable orientation for a trip last weekend). I've read here that the passenger seat does not require a BCM update as it is ready to go as is the yellow connector on the passenger side IF the equipment group had the power + heated driver seat.

Wanted to see if there were some recommendations of things I might also consider - or if ordering a new switch is the proper next step. I might need a reference link on how to remove the trim panel. I see it has two screws, and when removed, the plate is still snugly attached with all sorts of mechanical attachments points. I aborted going any further at that point until I knew if the switch was likely the culprit.

Thanks for reading and any support of suggestions you might have to offer!

Quietpeen

Reaction score
This was a great post! I have a semi related topic and since this one deals a lot with wiring and pinning, I'm going to tack on here.

I have a 2023 Ram BigHorn Level B equipment group (Heated Steering wheel & seats, Power driver seat). Threads here on the forum suggests that swapping seats in this equipment group for Driver / Passenger Powered Leather was plug and play. I picked up a pair of Laramie seats from a 2019 Ram. The only variables I had mechanically was locating the appropriate holes in the rear of the cab to accommodate the back of the rear seat frame rail. Mine were simply covered by carpet, as the reclining frame is just a little different. Also had to swap the hooks the rear seats hung from to striker plates, which were about $30 for the set from my local dealer.

Now for the fun stuff..... I want to believe that the passenger power seat switch is bad. After installing the seats, I tested out the power functions. All functions on the driver seat worked as they should, including the things my Equipment B option did not have. The passenger seat forward / backward and recline functions don't respond at all. However, the Lumbar features (which did not exist on my level B equipment group) worked in all directions, as did the heat (which was part of my equipment group). I removed the seat and inspected the wiring, which checked out (no chafing or grounding issues). I unplugged each motor and tested them individually in all directions, which all checked out (I direct powered each motor individually to adjust the seat in the truck after bench testing - we needed the seat in a comfortable orientation for a trip last weekend). I've read here that the passenger seat does not require a BCM update as it is ready to go as is the yellow connector on the passenger side IF the equipment group had the power + heated driver seat.

Wanted to see if there were some recommendations of things I might also consider - or if ordering a new switch is the proper next step. I might need a reference link on how to remove the trim panel. I see it has two screws, and when removed, the plate is still snugly attached with all sorts of mechanical attachments points. I aborted going any further at that point until I knew if the switch was likely the culprit.

I would not rule out the possibility that the required power wire or wires are not there on your body harness. brentals 2022 didn't have the power wires. When you get a chance unplug the passenger seat connector(should be able do do it without removing the seat) and confirm these wires are in it. These locations are based off my 2021, but I don't think they would have changed.

XY420A Body Side.jpg

23RamBH

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! I ran to the shop quick. My plug looks to have a few more wires - however, the three we are looking for, appear to be present. I tested the big red wire on the driver side with a trouble light, and it lit up. I do not get the same result on the passenger side. The pink wire in the lower right location does not light up either. The black wire I assume is ground. I am also not able to connect to the passenger seat using AlfaOBD. It attempts to connect and fails after 6 cycles. Not sure if that means anything, just another point of data for the group.

Attachments

• PSC.jpg
    PSC.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 14

Quietpeen

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! I ran to the shop quick. My plug looks to have a few more wires - however, the three we are looking for, appear to be present. I tested the big red wire on the driver side with a trouble light, and it lit up. I do not get the same result on the passenger side. The pink wire in the lower right location does not light up either. The black wire I assume is ground. I am also not able to connect to the passenger seat using AlfaOBD. It attempts to connect and fails after 6 cycles. Not sure if that means anything, just another point of data for the group.
Yea my connector in that pic was pretty bare because the wires were not there for heated/cooled seats and steering wheel. The pink in the lower right is fused ignition so that would not light up without the truck running. Its the red wire to the left of that pink wire that I was circling. Did you say the passenger lumbar works but the seat adjustment doesn't?

23RamBH

Reaction score
Yea my connector in that pic was pretty bare because the wires were not there for heated/cooled seats and steering wheel. The pink in the lower right is fused ignition so that would not light up without the truck running. Its the red wire to the left of that pink wire that I was circling. Did you say the passenger lumbar works but the seat adjustment doesn't?
Correct - which is odd. All 4 lumbar adjustments work. Forward / Backward - Recline and the front seat tilt do not. My original seat was heated cloth with manual adjustments only. I did try with the ignition powered and unpowered - neither the pink wire in the lower right, or the bigger red wire in the upper right would light the trouble light in either condition. The big red wire on the driver seat seemed to be a constant B+ line. It was on with ignition off.

I just tested the red wire to the left of the pink one, lower right side on the passenger harness, and it has power without the ignition on.

Last edited:

Quietpeen

Reaction score
Correct - which is odd. All 4 lumbar adjustments work. Forward / Backward - Recline and the front seat tilt do not. My original seat was heated cloth with manual adjustments only. I did try with the ignition powered and unpowered - neither the pink wire in the lower right, or the bigger red wire in the upper right would light the trouble light in either condition. The big red wire on the driver seat seemed to be a constant B+ line. It was on with ignition off.

I just tested the red wire to the left of the pink one, lower right side on the passenger harness, and it has power without the ignition on.
ok that actually makes sense then. The one you just tested and has power is the fused B+ for the Lumbar control. The bigger red one powers the seat for adjustment.

Unfortunately the next connector XY330A to look at for any issues or the possibility that the wire is not populated in the IP harness is under the center console.

1708019325920.png

XY330.jpg

Once there you have to see if there is a red wire at pin 30 on both sides of the connector. Below is the IP harness side. Also see if you have power at pin 30 on the IP side of the harness

1708019761489.png

Quietpeen

Reaction score

also when you say you tested the pink wire with the ignition on was the truck actually running or just set to on, that makes a difference as that wire goes to one of the seat heaters or the steering wheel and they will not work unless the truck is running.

23RamBH

Reaction score
also when you say you tested the pink wire with the ignition on was the truck actually running or just set to on, that makes a difference as that wire goes to one of the seat heaters or the steering wheel and they will not work unless the truck is running.
Run position - I know the seat heater works, my wife had it on last weekend. Might be able to call that good, unless you think I need to check it. Your Prior message was extremely helpful!

If Pin 30 under the console is not populated - do I need to secure a relayed B+ wire to that location that would activate off the ignition? Or is a B+ constant feed to it sufficient?
If Pin 30 is there, but does not have power - is there something in the BCM that I need to turn on?

Just want to be prepared for next steps - I'm all but certain based on my tests and insightful wisdom that one of those conditions is present.

Quietpeen

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about the pink wire. I was just saying that the engine has to be running for that one to have power.
If pin 30 is not populated in the IP harness you would need to run a wire back to the connector on the fuse box.

If the wire is populated at pin 30 I would check to see if the fuse is blown or not seated properly. It's fuse CB3 located above drivers foot well.

1708023955984.png

1708024043729.png

Last edited:

Quietpeen

Reaction score
another thing to look at when you have the center console out it to take connector XY330A apart and make sure the male terminal at pin 30 didn't get bent when it was put together.

23RamBH

Reaction score
I cannot thank you enough. I chased this down. Neither the black nor the red were attached to the truck. Its like they used a lower level IP harness and the upper level accessory harness for the seats.

I have it all working!!!!! As soon as I connected the B12+ (red wire upper right) to the fuse link and the black wire (upper left) to the chassis ground umbilical, everything works!!!!

Major shout out! I could not have done this so easily without all your support. Thank you so much!

brental1

Reaction score

Fiat was really sneaky on this, at least on my truck 2022 BH Level 1 EQ.

brental1

Reaction score
Fiat was really sneaky on this, at least on my truck 2022 BH with Level 1 EQ. While the Fused B+ (I don't have my diagrams handy), I think the 2.0 MM RD for the seat motors was present in the Yellow connector under the passenger seat, I discovered from Jimmy07 that the wire was not continuous to the Power Distribution Center. Follow the harness from the Yellow Seat Connector. At the first connector junction, I think you'll see that there is no mating 2.0MM Red in the other connector. You need to run a wire from this connector to the Power Distribuiton Center. I have no idea why they would "give away" half of a wire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online