5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrading seat swap from tradesman (Heated seats)

MotoTrucker

Reaction score
Hey so I have a 5thGen trademan base model no power heated seats and the small screen, I’ve recently put a 8”screen and wanted to upgrade my seats aswell. I’ve picked up cloth seats off a 2020 same cloth as mine the power portion works great just needed to get the heated seats up and running. I’m not sure if the stock tradesman wiring allows for the heated portions of the seat to work so I was thinking about splicing it and running power or a switch to bypass it but can’t seem to figure out the diagrams as I don’t see anything online?

Right now I halve a cable running to see if I can get it going by splicing some wires and running it to a 12v battery for now just to test it before I spice my trucks wiring

2019 Ram 1500 Tradesman QuadCab

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 75
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 74

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It’s a bit more involved than just getting power to that heated seat module. The twisted pair of wires needs to be plugged into the canbus junction block, and you need to use AlfaOBD to configure the BCM for the heated seats to be online.
Let’s start simple- what wires are present on your truck’s yellow connectors under both front seats?

brental1

Reaction score
It’s a bit more involved than just getting power to that heated seat module. The twisted pair of wires needs to be plugged into the canbus junction block, and you need to use AlfaOBD to configure the BCM for the heated seats to be online.
Let’s start simple- what wires are present on your truck’s yellow connectors under both front seats?
I'm hijacking someone else's post; but I'm trying to install heated steering wheel and seats in my 2022 Big Horn with Level 1 Equipment Group. I have purchased a center stack with switches for the seats and wheel, and a heated steering wheel. Do I need a different clock spring to make the wheel work? For the seats--On the yellow connectors on the Driver's side, there are 10 wires on the body side and 8 on the seat side. Passenger has 12 on the body side and 7 on the seat side. So far I haven't been able to find wiring diagrams or pinouts. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Brent

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm hijacking someone else's post; but I'm trying to install heated steering wheel and seats in my 2022 Big Horn with Level 1 Equipment Group. I have purchased a center stack with switches for the seats and wheel, and a heated steering wheel. Do I need a different clock spring to make the wheel work? For the seats--On the yellow connectors on the Driver's side, there are 10 wires on the body side and 8 on the seat side. Passenger has 12 on the body side and 7 on the seat side. So far I haven't been able to find wiring diagrams or pinouts. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Brent
You’ll need a new clockspring that has the heated wheel wires for the heated wheel install.

The body harness is always fully populated with all the necessary wires for power, heated, ventilated, and memory seats. The seat connectors will only be populated with the wires for the features they have (so for instance, if they are not ventilated or memory, they won’t have as many wires on the seat connector as there are on the mating body connector).
So basically, you just plug the seats in, configure for them with AlfaOBD, and you’re good to go.

brental1

Reaction score
Thanks. Still not clear on the seat heaters. Do I pin the seat heater pads into the seat side of the yellow connectors? Or, do I need a seat heat module (or 2)? If so, do I need to buy, or build a harness to go from the yellow connector to the module; then plug the heater pads into the module?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks. Still not clear on the seat heaters. Do I pin the seat heater pads into the seat side of the yellow connectors? Or, do I need a seat heat module (or 2)? If so, do I need to buy, or build a harness to go from the yellow connector to the module; then plug the heater pads into the module?
Firstly, everything I posted above may not be the case for the body wiring- I cross posted not paying attention that I was replying on this 1500 forum (HD Rams are the ones that are fully wired up no matter what).
I’ll get some connector pinouts posted for you.
Are you installing a set of factory heated seats (like from a wreck), or are you adding the heated seats parts and wiring to your current existing seats?

brental1

Reaction score
Firstly, everything I posted above may not be the case for the body wiring- I cross posted not paying attention that I was replying on this 1500 forum (HD Rams are the ones that are fully wired up no matter what).
Are you installing a set of factory heated seats (like from a wreck), or are you adding the heated seats parts and wiring to your current existing seats?
Adding heated seat parts and wiring to current existing seats.

fishingmaniac

Reaction score
Hey so I have a 5thGen trademan base model no power heated seats and the small screen, I’ve recently put a 8”screen and wanted to upgrade my seats aswell. I’ve picked up cloth seats off a 2020 same cloth as mine the power portion works great just needed to get the heated seats up and running. I’m not sure if the stock tradesman wiring allows for the heated portions of the seat to work so I was thinking about splicing it and running power or a switch to bypass it but can’t seem to figure out the diagrams as I don’t see anything online?

Right now I halve a cable running to see if I can get it going by splicing some wires and running it to a 12v battery for now just to test it before I spice my trucks wiring

2019 Ram 1500 Tradesman QuadCab
I've got a tradesman also. I would love to put a power drivers seat in. Did you buy a bighorn seat from a junk yard? Did it just plug in and work?

brental1

Reaction score
Jimmy, did you find the pinouts? I'm adding heated seat parts to current existing seats.

brental1

Reaction score
Jimmy, did you find the pinouts? I'm adding heated seat parts to current existing seats.
I changed direction. Calculated it would cost at least $1000 for the seat heater pads, control unit, etc. So, I just bought a set of Laramie seats. I paid another $200 for the complete harness from the donor truck. Don't think I can make the swap without the donor harness. (really don't know if I can make it work even with the donor harness.) So far, I need to add 13 wires to the two yellow seat connectors just for the heated seats and steering wheel. The donor seat also have Memory. I didn't get the Memory switch from the donor truck, I really don't care about Memory, and don't know yet how many more wires I would need to add--so I'm trying to avoid the Memory option. I'm attaching the wires I have determined , so far, to the yellow connectors.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-08 093454.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-05-08 093454.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot 2023-05-08 093608.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-05-08 093608.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 39

brental1

Reaction score
If anyone has done this swap--heated/vented seats and heated steering wheel into Big Horn with Level 1 Equipment Group--and added the 15 or so wires; I really like to hear about your experience.

Thanks,

Brent

brental1

Reaction score
Originally I told you I was planning to add heated seat and steering wheel components to my BH with Level 1 Equipment Group. After costing this out, I bought a set of Laramie heated/cooled/memory driver and power passenger seats (and thankfully, the entire cabin harness from the donor truck). I thought the easiest part of the swap would be the Power Pass. Seat. On the pass. seat yellow plug (body side) Pin 2 A907 0.75 RD FUSED B+ and Pin 23 A949 2.0 RD FUSED B+ are both present in my truck. I'm not sure yet what the Pin 2 B+ is for; but Pin 23 B+ appears to be for the power seat. Although CB3 is present in the Instrument Panel Fuse Box in my truck; there is no voltage on the Pin 23. Does the truck need to be flashed for Power Pass. Seat to turn on the power? (There is 12V at Pin 2.) Thanks, Brent

brental1

Reaction score
Does anyone have the PN for the clock spring to add heated steering wheel?
Thanks, Brent

gurooni

Reaction score
Originally I told you I was planning to add heated seat and steering wheel components to my BH with Level 1 Equipment Group. After costing this out, I bought a set of Laramie heated/cooled/memory driver and power passenger seats (and thankfully, the entire cabin harness from the donor truck). I thought the easiest part of the swap would be the Power Pass. Seat. On the pass. seat yellow plug (body side) Pin 2 A907 0.75 RD FUSED B+ and Pin 23 A949 2.0 RD FUSED B+ are both present in my truck. I'm not sure yet what the Pin 2 B+ is for; but Pin 23 B+ appears to be for the power seat. Although CB3 is present in the Instrument Panel Fuse Box in my truck; there is no voltage on the Pin 23. Does the truck need to be flashed for Power Pass. Seat to turn on the power? (There is 12V at Pin 2.) Thanks, Brent
Brent,
I'm also interested in performing this upgrade to my '22 BH 2500. Love the truck except for a few items such as this. The ability to do this will determine wether the truck stays or goes.
Were you successful?

brental1

Reaction score
Brent,
I'm also interested in performing this upgrade to my '22 BH 2500. Love the truck except for a few items such as this. The ability to do this will determine wether the truck stays or goes.
Were you successful?
It was a battle; but yes I finally won. To clarify, my truck '22 BH 1500 is a true 5th Gen truck. I had to add over 30 wires to my truck to make the heated/vented seats and heated steering wheel work. Also had to get a new clock spring with the extra 2 pins for the heated wheel. Of course, I had to buy a steering wheel with heat. And, a center stack with the heat/vent switches. The good news is that the 'hard' buttons on the center stack immediately worked. Didn't require flashing. But, flashing is required to make the 'soft' buttons on the screen work. I can live with just the 'hard' buttons--really don't see a need for the 'soft' buttons--so I don't plan to flash.

All that said, your 2500 is really a 4th Gen truck. I'm not sure; but I've read that doing this swap on 4th Gens is plug and play. So, all the wires you need MAY already be present in your truck.

Luniac21

Reaction score
It was a battle; but yes I finally won. To clarify, my truck '22 BH 1500 is a true 5th Gen truck. I had to add over 30 wires to my truck to make the heated/vented seats and heated steering wheel work. Also had to get a new clock spring with the extra 2 pins for the heated wheel. Of course, I had to buy a steering wheel with heat. And, a center stack with the heat/vent switches. The good news is that the 'hard' buttons on the center stack immediately worked. Didn't require flashing. But, flashing is required to make the 'soft' buttons on the screen work. I can live with just the 'hard' buttons--really don't see a need for the 'soft' buttons--so I don't plan to flash.

All that said, your 2500 is really a 4th Gen truck. I'm not sure; but I've read that doing this swap on 4th Gens is plug and play. So, all the wires you need MAY already be present in your truck.
Can you share everything you did with part numbers etc? I too will be doing this upgrade, with your help to your fellow ram owner, thanks in advance!

Quietpeen

Reaction score

Curious how you had to add over 30 wires. On the schematic I count 14 wires.

brental1

Reaction score
Curious how you had to add over 30 wires. On the schematic I count 14 wires.
I should have documented the project better. Generally, I had to run a wire for the power pass. seat (Fiat was tricky-the wire was present in the seat plug; but no wire from the distribution point to the junction point), heaters, vent motors, steering wheel, lights under rear of seats, canbus. Also, there were around 6 wires for the Memory function. I didn't install the Memory switch in the door panel; but still had to run the wires to the Memory module in order for the power seat to work. And, I added wires for the switches for rear seat heat/vent switches in console. I built these two harnesses, and one more I don't have a picture of. BTW, although I installed the console heat/vent switches for the rear seats, which required a new console harness, I have made no progress with the harnesses that connect the rear seat plugs for heat/vent.

Attachments

• 115V Inverter Harness.jpg
    115V Inverter Harness.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 22
  • Harness board.jpg
    Harness board.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 22

Quietpeen

Reaction score
I should have documented the project better. Generally, I had to run a wire for the power pass. seat (Fiat was tricky-the wire was present in the seat plug; but no wire from the distribution point to the junction point), heaters, vent motors, steering wheel, lights under rear of seats, canbus. Also, there were around 6 wires for the Memory function. I didn't install the Memory switch in the door panel; but still had to run the wires to the Memory module in order for the power seat to work. And, I added wires for the switches for rear seat heat/vent switches in console. I built these two harnesses, and one more I don't have a picture of. BTW, although I installed the console heat/vent switches for the rear seats, which required a new console harness, I have made no progress with the harnesses that connect the rear seat plugs for heat/vent.
Thanks for the reply. Ok that makes more sense now, You did more than just add the heated front seats and steering wheel which looks like 12 wires on the schematic for my truck(2021 TRX) and 12 more wires for heated and cooled. Did your IP harness have the wires at Connectors XY332A and XY330A? So far XY332A the IP side of the connector had the 3 fused ignition wires on my truck.

Last edited:

brental1

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Ok that makes more sense now, You did more than just add the heated front seats and steering wheel which looks like 12 wires on the schematic for my truck(2021 TRX) and 12 more wires for heated and cooled. Did your IP harness have the wires at Connectors XY332A and XY330A? So far XY332A the IP side of the connector had the 3 fused ignition wires on my truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/