5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrade or “Downgrade” Sound system on 2019 Limited

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I find the HK system in the RAM lacking a bit of bass at times, lacking a lot of treble (mine is at +7 I think), and having bass that rattles the subwoofer box & (especially) rear window at times. It's not great... but not awful either. Haven't heard the Alpine though.

My HK is terrible compared to my 13 Alpine. I get in my 13 and drive it and it just sounds so good.. sounds like an aftermarket system.. Bass is strong in it. The HK is weak.. It may have to do with the ANC the new trucks have. Since it uses audio to cancel the noises.
Unless I'm getting confused with the Jeep Grand Cherokee, I'm pretty sure the ANC system is entirely separate - should be small speakers/microphones in the headliner above all 4 seats. At any rate, the ANC system is also present in the JGC and the HK system in there sounds phenomenal. Seems like poor design, poor software, and/or poor hardware for the new RAM, which is a damn shame.

As a big fan of the Alpine in my last few Rams.. I'd agree.. HK is nice.. shut the surround off for sure.. I'd say I think it's more crisp, lacks the BASS of the Alpine.. as far as volume goes... no factory set up is going to be loud.. If you want power- clean sound-Add an Amp, but that's a PIA...
What exactly is loud? Because plenty of high-end factory setups are loud enough to cause hearing damage, so I'm not sure why anyone would want them any louder. The JGC HK system was definitely louder than the RAM (I would typically listen at 19-21 volume in the JGC vs 24-28 in the RAM, through Bluetooth or CarPlay), but I still find the RAM gets loud enough before it's obviously wrecking my eardrums... I just have to turn it up higher than the JGC HK system for the same level of loudness.

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@392DCGC

ANC is part of the audio system.. It uses those mics and produces 180 degrees phase the frequencies it detects to counter road noise. those frequencies being out of phase can produce less than desirable affects on an audio system. Because as in any audio system if you put speakers out of phase with each other it can cause limited response. The counter frequencies are produced from the audio system itself.

Agustinacosta

Reaction score
I find the HK system in the RAM lacking a bit of bass at times, lacking a lot of treble (mine is at +7 I think), and having bass that rattles the subwoofer box & (especially) rear window at times. It's not great... but not awful either. Haven't heard the Alpine though.

Unless I'm getting confused with the Jeep Grand Cherokee, I'm pretty sure the ANC system is entirely separate - should be small speakers/microphones in the headliner above all 4 seats. At any rate, the ANC system is also present in the JGC and the HK system in there sounds phenomenal. Seems like poor design, poor software, and/or poor hardware for the new RAM, which is a **** shame.

What exactly is loud? Because plenty of high-end factory setups are loud enough to cause hearing damage, so I'm not sure why anyone would want them any louder. The JGC HK system was definitely louder than the RAM (I would typically listen at 19-21 volume in the JGC vs 24-28 in the RAM, through Bluetooth or CarPlay), but I still find the RAM gets loud enough before it's obviously wrecking my eardrums... I just have to turn it up higher than the JGC HK system for the same level of loudness.
By loud I mean something that is loud enough to worth some thouthands dollars. My 59$ tv sound bar is louder than the whole hk system in the ram. If by any chance you have the opportunity to listen a 2017 ram sound system you’ll understand. Also YouTube volume is a joke, trough bt or cable.

Agustinacosta

Reaction score

Unless I'm getting confused with the Jeep Grand Cherokee, I'm pretty sure the ANC system is entirely separate - should be small speakers/microphones in the headliner above all 4 seats. At any rate, the ANC system is also present in the JGC and the HK system in there sounds phenomenal. Seems like poor design, poor software, and/or poor hardware for the new RAM, which is a **** shame.

No hearing damage here, not even with the alpine system which is twice as loud as the hk.

Mohab

Reaction score
By loud I mean something that is loud enough to worth some thouthands dollars. My 59$ tv sound bar is louder than the whole hk system in the ram. If by any chance you have the opportunity to listen a 2017 ram sound system you’ll understand. Also YouTube volume is a joke, trough bt or cable.
You are really making me think about level one on the limited I am planning to purchase, I have 2016 ram with Alpin and I love it , don't want less ! And I use YouTube a lot !

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Not sure about that. I most definitely have a Limited (cough*** price tag) and most definitely have Alpine. I was pissed after buying it thinking “why didn’t this come with HK system” but then quickly became happy finding out its not as good as Alpine.

I have a Limited with an Alpine unit. Sounds great to me, but I’m no audiophile.

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is a option. Kenwood makes an amp that works with an idatalink part that basically makes the new amp operate like oem but you can adjust it. Only issue is it’s limmited to 6 channels of output. So not all oem speakers would get powered which is a deal breaker for me.

Agustinacosta

Reaction score
Yes. Mine has the Alpine. 25M package and also doesn’t have the rear a/c seats.
I just realize 2019 alpine are different from the 2017 I had, mine had th woofer under the seat which was amazing and powerful for such a tiny speaker. How this 2019 alpine woofer performs compared to the 2017?

Agustinacosta

Reaction score
You are really making me think about level one on the limited I am planning to purchase, I have 2016 ram with Alpin and I love it , don't want less ! And I use YouTube a lot !
2016 alpine system on your ram is a masterpiece.

Agustinacosta

Reaction score
There is a option. Kenwood makes an amp that works with an idatalink part that basically makes the new amp operate like oem but you can adjust it. Only issue is it’s limmited to 6 channels of output. So not all oem speakers would get powered which is a deal breaker for me.
Hmmm what’s the description of it? This is a 12 channel one going to 19 speakers. Can you stack 2 of those? Lol

dalailama23

Reaction score
Unless i count the small 1 inch square microphones in the headliner i cant come up with 19 speakers and i amounted for the rear seat subwoofer.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
When they count speakers, they count the tweeter and midrange driver in a single speaker unit as separate speakers. So one speaker with two drivers = 2 speakers. It's a marketing game. Most people equate the number of speakers to quality of the system.

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When they count speakers, they count the tweeter and midrange driver in a single speaker unit as separate speakers. So one speaker with two drivers = 2 speakers. It's a marketing game. Most people equate the number of speakers to quality of the system.

I know this.. but look at the sheet I linked.. thats direct from FCA

Most powerful audio system in a pickup
The all-new 2019 Ram 1500 offers four audiophile-quality audio systems to immerse passengers in the ultimate sound experience, including Alpine and a class-exclusive premium Harman Kardon audio system with 19 speakers and 10-inch subwoofer – the finest and most powerful audio system available in a pickup:
Six-speaker base system (standard on Tradesman, Big Horn and Rebel):
Two 3.5-inch speakers in the instrument panel Two 6x9-inch speakers located in the front doors Two 6x9-inch speakers located in the rear doors
Six-speaker system with Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) and premium woofers (5.7-liter engines on all trim classes):
Two 3.5-inch speakers in the instrument panel Two 6x9-inch speakers located in the front doors Two 6x9-inch speakers located in the rear doors Four ANC microphones
Alpine Premium 506-watt, 12-channel, 10-speaker audio system (available on Big Horn and Rebel; standard on Laramie, Longhorn and Limited):
Three 3.5-inch speakers in the instrument panel
Two 6x9-inch speakers located in the front doors
Two 6x9-inch speakers located in the rear doors
Two 3.5-inch speakers located in the headliner
One 10-inch enclosed, triple-coil subwoofer behind the rear seat (passenger side) One 12-channel amplifier
Four ANC microphones
Harman Kardon premium plus 12-channel, 19-speaker audio system (available on Laramie, Longhorn and Limited):
Three 3.5-inch and one-inch coaxial speakers located in the instrument panel Two 3.5-inch and one-inch coaxial speakers located in the front doors
Two 6x9-inch speakers located in the front doors
Two 6x9-inch speakers located in the rear doors
Two 3.5-inch and one-inch coaxial speakers located in the headliner One 10-inch enclosed subwoofer behind the rear seat (passenger side) One 12-channel boosted Class-D amplifier
Four ANC microphones

dalailama23

Reaction score
yea they are counting the coaxial speakers as two separate speakers your still only getting 12 channel system just like the alpine

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
By the way.... Samsung owns Harman Kardon. Harman owns Bang and Olufsen.

Just thought you all would like to know that.
This is true, but it can be misleading. Harman didn't acquire B&O until 2015, and it was only the automotive division. The Samsung acquisition of Harman was finalized in 2017. So it's probably too soon for these corporate mergers to have yielded product consolidation / innovation.

Meanwhile, Alpine (a subsidiary of Alps Electric) got its start with Motorola in the 1960s and bought itself out in 1978.

Users who are viewing this thread