5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrade or “Downgrade” Sound system on 2019 Limited

Hackmunch

Reaction score
I am a huge audiophile. The alpine setup in my 2019 laramie sounds great. I did change out the dash speakers though. The HK system in my wife's alfa rameo sound fxkn horrible.

Paco TX

Reaction score
Was putting break in miles on the Limited yesterday and overall I'm blown away by how good the HK system sounds. I had a great HK system in the Benz and overall I'd vote this one better than that. It plays plenty loud - I've never turned it up all the way. It already gets uncomfortably loud on HD radio or USB source.

Now, there is definitely some tuning to be done on the sub. Some songs/sources sound perfect but others - it's like the sub doesn't get low enough and it's punching too hard at a higher bass frequency. Aside from that, I absolutely love the HK system!
"Some tuning on the sub" is just what I need. You're right about the "punching too hard" on some things. I'm not opposed to good low punches, (I used to be a rock drummer so I know good bass when I hear it.) But, other than the uncool 3 ch EQ, how do you "tune" the sub? My home sub has an LFE and crossover settings on the sub itself. So, why wouldn't this HK?

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
"Some tuning on the sub" is just what I need. You're right about the "punching too hard" on some things. I'm not opposed to good low punches, (I used to be a rock drummer so I know good bass when I hear it.) But, other than the uncool 3 ch EQ, how do you "tune" the sub? My home sub has an LFE and crossover settings on the sub itself. So, why wouldn't this HK?

You kind of just stayed it yourself. The average person doesn’t know what they’re doing and FCA doesn’t want thousands of dealer visits because an owner tuned / turned a few switches.

Mohab

Reaction score
Did the service bulletin for amp enhancement today , it made HUGE difference as if it is different sound system

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Did the service bulletin for amp enhancement today , it made HUGE difference as if it is different sound system
I immediately noticed that the volume has been recalibrated (i.e. what used to be "15" is probably "10" now). But I haven't picked up on much difference in sound quality yet. I guess I need a better source to test...

LossPrev

Reaction score
Rather than start a new thread has anyone had issues with static/cutting out on Bluetooth audio? While listening to Spotify the music will cut out momentarily sometimes multiple times within a few seconds but then might play a few songs without an issue. Never happens on any other source. I use Spotify over Bluetooth 90% of the time I'm driving so this is making me crazy. I plug it into USB now right when I get in the truck to avoid the problem.

Other than that I'm happy with my HK system. Is it mind blowingly good? No. But it sounds more "full" upfront than the Alpine in my 2015. I would never recommend upgrading to a Level 2 on Laramie just to get it but I wanted a Black Out package which only comes as Level 2.

Edit: Build date 9/18 so I probably have most of the TSB's already

tomglandry

Reaction score
I have an Alpine system in my 2018 Wrangler JL and the HK in my 2019 Ram Limited and I prefer my HK tons more than the Alpine. My buddy has the Alpine in his Rebel and it sounded great but sorry HK takes it. Even at max volume there is no distortion and at times I have to lower the bass as it can get overwhelming. I feel like this topic is very subjective on who owns what system. I have seen the same topic on the Volvo forums when people were downplaying the Bowers & Wilkins sound system saying it sucked and the stock system sounded better lol... It boiled down to the haters over there just couldn't afford the 3,500 price tag the system carried so they had to justify their stock systems lol... I see the same happening here :/
I just took possession of 2019 Limited with HK. Had 2014 with Alpine. This new system is head and shoulders above the Alpine, not even in same category. Have bass at +2,mid at +3, high at +3. Wife has 2016 Lincoln MKX with Revel sound system. This system rivals that one. After reading the posts on here I was very apprehensive about the HK, but one test drive and I was hooked. Maybe they have tweaked the new builds but I have absolutely no regrets about this..

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had my HK amp updated and its not even the same stereo. Sounds like they replaced the whole thing with a new system. What a difference. If you have a build date that is within the TSB then have it done you won't regret it.

I know why people were at a bit of disagreement about the HK system on here now. Because some had the new amp update and others didn't so we couldn't understand why the other was happy or disappointed.

RiverRacerX

Reaction score
FWIW: I have the Alpine in my Limited and I think it is awesome. Much better than the Alpine in my Durango. It's loud and has enough bass for me when I play some old school rap.

RUBY75

Reaction score
Hi, I am a really happy owner of a 2019 Limited with Harman Kardon audio, well, that’s the problem, I trade my 2017 Laramie with alpine system and I feel really disappointed with this new Harman Kardon 19 speaker system, I try to lie myself saying this sound more crisp, surround, etc. In fact the best stock sound system I’ve ever heard in my life was the Laramie’s alpine sound system.

is there anyway I can replace the HK system for the alpine?
Or anything better?
I have the HK in my 19 Laramie Black PKg. I was nerbous about the HK because I loved the Alpine I had my previous generation Ram, but as it turns out Iliad it, but you have to go in and play around with the EQ settings to find the sound you prefer

Telegadas

Reaction score
Agree100%.... I have a later build and the HK system is awesome. They must have listened and made significant changes because I can’t imagine a much better sound system that is factory installed in a truck.

Hi guys......I have been going back and forth with the dealership and quite frankly, they have insulted my intelligence. They told me I had the update done already but my buddies truck sounds 10 times better than mine. I have never taken my truck to the dealership besides last week. I am pissed off as hell....any suggestions? I have 2019 Laramie.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Hi guys......I have been going back and forth with the dealership and quite frankly, they have insulted my intelligence. They told me I had the update done already but my buddies truck sounds 10 times better than mine. I have never taken my truck to the dealership besides last week. I am pissed off as hell....any suggestions? I have 2019 Laramie.
New dealership.

maddog49

Reaction score

Take it to a different dealer with a print out of the update and ask them to do it. If its already done they will tell you the same.

joholio

Reaction score
I have seriously heard two 6x9s and a bazooka tube in a regular cab farm truck with more power and feel than my 2019 3500 crew with HK. My 2017 Mega with Alpine has more presence and electricity at volume 19 than this HK has at max... My (Canadian) dealership says amplifier enhancement update isn’t available... :sadbanana:

Users who are viewing this thread