5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrade or “Downgrade” Sound system on 2019 Limited

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I know this.. but look at the sheet I linked.. thats direct from FCA

Harman Kardon premium plus 12-channel, 19-speaker audio system (available on Laramie, Longhorn and Limited):
Three 3.5-inch and one-inch coaxial speakers located in the instrument panel Two 3.5-inch and one-inch coaxial speakers located in the front doors
Two 6x9-inch speakers located in the front doors
Two 6x9-inch speakers located in the rear doors
Two 3.5-inch and one-inch coaxial speakers located in the headliner One 10-inch enclosed subwoofer behind the rear seat (passenger side) One 12-channel boosted Class-D amplifier
Four ANC microphones
Breaking it down like this (as @dalailama23 wrote):

Harman Kardon premium plus 12-channel, 19-speaker audio system (available on Laramie, Longhorn and Limited):
Three 3.5-inch (3) and one-inch (+3 = 6) coaxial speakers located in the instrument panel
Two 3.5-inch (+2 = 8) and one-inch (+2 = 10) coaxial speakers located in the front doors
Two 6x9-inch (+2 = 12) speakers located in the front doors
Two 6x9-inch (+2 = 14) speakers located in the rear doors
Two 3.5-inch (+2 =16) and one-inch (+2 = 18) coaxial speakers located in the headliner
One 10-inch (+1 = 19) enclosed subwoofer behind the rear seat (passenger side) One 12-channel boosted Class-D amplifier
Four ANC microphones

The_Chemist

Reaction score
I know this.. but look at the sheet I linked.. thats direct from FCA

Most powerful audio system in a pickup
The all-new 2019 Ram 1500 offers four audiophile-quality audio systems to immerse passengers in the ultimate sound experience, including Alpine and a class-exclusive premium Harman Kardon audio system with 19 speakers and 10-inch subwoofer – the finest and most powerful audio system available in a pickup:
Six-speaker base system (standard on Tradesman, Big Horn and Rebel):
Two 3.5-inch speakers in the instrument panel Two 6x9-inch speakers located in the front doors Two 6x9-inch speakers located in the rear doors
Six-speaker system with Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) and premium woofers (5.7-liter engines on all trim classes):
Two 3.5-inch speakers in the instrument panel Two 6x9-inch speakers located in the front doors Two 6x9-inch speakers located in the rear doors Four ANC microphones
Alpine Premium 506-watt, 12-channel, 10-speaker audio system (available on Big Horn and Rebel; standard on Laramie, Longhorn and Limited):
Three 3.5-inch speakers in the instrument panel
Two 3.5-inch speakers located in the headliner
One 10-inch enclosed, triple-coil subwoofer behind the rear seat (passenger side) One 12-channel amplifier
Four ANC microphones
Three 3.5-inch and one-inch coaxial speakers located in the instrument panel Two 3.5-inch and one-inch coaxial speakers located in the front doors
Two 3.5-inch and one-inch coaxial speakers located in the headliner One 10-inch enclosed subwoofer behind the rear seat (passenger side) One 12-channel boosted Class-D amplifier
Four ANC microphones
That's awesome! I am really dreading taking delivery of my Longhorn only to find out that the HK is going to suck.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
This is true, but it can be misleading. Harman didn't acquire B&O until 2015, and it was only the automotive division. The Samsung acquisition of Harman was finalized in 2017. So it's probably too soon for these corporate mergers to have yielded product consolidation / innovation.

Meanwhile, Alpine (a subsidiary of Alps Electric) got its start with Motorola in the 1960s and bought itself out in 1978.
I'm not really sure that the sound will get any better with Samsung at the helm. Samsung sound quality has historically been subpar at best.

Joker4L

Reaction score
I have an Alpine system in my 2018 Wrangler JL and the HK in my 2019 Ram Limited and I prefer my HK tons more than the Alpine. My buddy has the Alpine in his Rebel and it sounded great but sorry HK takes it. Even at max volume there is no distortion and at times I have to lower the bass as it can get overwhelming. I feel like this topic is very subjective on who owns what system. I have seen the same topic on the Volvo forums when people were downplaying the Bowers & Wilkins sound system saying it sucked and the stock system sounded better lol... It boiled down to the haters over there just couldn't afford the 3,500 price tag the system carried so they had to justify their stock systems lol... I see the same happening here :/

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Was putting break in miles on the Limited yesterday and overall I'm blown away by how good the HK system sounds. I had a great HK system in the Benz and overall I'd vote this one better than that. It plays plenty loud - I've never turned it up all the way. It already gets uncomfortably loud on HD radio or USB source.

Now, there is definitely some tuning to be done on the sub. Some songs/sources sound perfect but others - it's like the sub doesn't get low enough and it's punching too hard at a higher bass frequency. Aside from that, I absolutely love the HK system!

Mohab

Reaction score
I noticed everyone came from Alpine system doesn't like the HK! I have Alpine in my 2016 truck and can't make a decision for my 2019 , what should I get ?!

Joker4L

Reaction score
I noticed everyone came from Alpine system doesn't like the HK! I have Alpine in my 2016 truck and can't make a decision for my 2019 , what should I get ?!
I had the alpine on my 2014 Ram 1500 sport and the HK blows it away. It was a big enough difference that even my wife noticed as was inpressed and she doesn’t usually give **** about that stuff

Agustinacosta

Reaction score
I have an Alpine system in my 2018 Wrangler JL and the HK in my 2019 Ram Limited and I prefer my HK tons more than the Alpine. My buddy has the Alpine in his Rebel and it sounded great but sorry HK takes it. Even at max volume there is no distortion and at times I have to lower the bass as it can get overwhelming. I feel like this topic is very subjective on who owns what system. I have seen the same topic on the Volvo forums when people were downplaying the Bowers & Wilkins sound system saying it sucked and the stock system sounded better lol... It boiled down to the haters over there just couldn't afford the 3,500 price tag the system carried so they had to justify their stock systems lol... I see the same happening here :/
Alpine on wrangler is not the same as in ram. I you can have a seat on a 2017 alpine system you’ll notice the difference. 2019 alpine is different from 2017, 17 sounded way better. Maybe is the underseat woofer instead of rear end

Agustinacosta

Reaction score
2016 alpine is different than 2019, mine 17 had the woofer under the rear seat and it was perfect.

Agustinacosta

Reaction score
So I called FCA about the H/K sound system, y told them I was really disappointed with the quality of this “premium sound system”. I ask the guy if I could bring the truck to a dealer to see if they can do something about that, I bought a 65000$ truck and my 50$ sound bar sounds better. So he said that the engineers are working to solve this issue because I’m not the only one. He said that before this year end an update will be available for the system, so I replied to him that I’m not an fca engineer (in fact I’m a computer engineer) I feel really that it’s really hard to download a physical mosfet and attach them to the amp outputs, so he said that they can do it , at that moment I realize this will be a long road. Anyways i explained to him that i meant that there’s a lack of power in the sound system, there’s nothing a software can do there. So far I think I have to wait.

Joker4L

Reaction score
So I called FCA about the H/K sound system, y told them I was really disappointed with the quality of this “premium sound system”. I ask the guy if I could bring the truck to a dealer to see if they can do something about that, I bought a 65000$ truck and my 50$ sound bar sounds better. So he said that the engineers are working to solve this issue because I’m not the only one. He said that before this year end an update will be available for the system, so I replied to him that I’m not an fca engineer (in fact I’m a computer engineer) I feel really that it’s really hard to download a physical mosfet and attach them to the amp outputs, so he said that they can do it , at that moment I realize this will be a long road. Anyways i explained to him that i meant that there’s a lack of power in the sound system, there’s nothing a software can do there. So far I think I have to wait.

You must have some bionic computer engineered ear's because or just a faulty system in your particular car because no way possible does the alpine sound better.

And please enlighten me on how the 2018 Jeep JL Alpine is different than Ram besides the obvious speaker placement?

Foxman

Reaction score
I have the B&W system in my Wife's XC90. It is by far the most impressive system I have ever heard in a vehicle period...end of story...I don't care who you are or what kind of music you like...period...unless you are basshead and want 15's to shake your neighbors windows...which I do kinda like as well. In the Volvo you can close your eyes and pick out where the instruments are as if you were sitting in a concert hall. I drive her car sometimes just to be able to listen to a new album. Its even better than the Beirmeister system in my Porsche and that's embarrasing to admit for what I paid for that system.

this being said. I have a 14 RAM 1500 Alpine system and I love it. Great bass and versatility through a variety of music but lacks the soundstage and spaciousness of the B&W in the Volvo. I test drove the 19 RAM back in May when I ordered my longhorn and noticed immediately the volume difference but a much improved soundstage over the Alpine. I was hoping the HK would bring my RAM closer to my wife's vehicle...not even close and the volume level was concerning to me coming from the Alpine.

I haven't recieved my truck yet and I'm hoping they have updated it...it has been one of my concerns with the truck admittedly.

Last edited:

Agustinacosta

Reaction score
You must have some bionic computer engineered ear's because or just a faulty system in your particular car because no way possible does the alpine sound better.

And please enlighten me on how the 2018 Jeep JL Alpine is different than Ram besides the obvious speaker placement?
Mine 17 I had was 200% better than this h/k not just by me, around all my family and friends like 14 people that heard both all of them agree that the alpine sound better at least on my 17 ram Laramie with a woofer under back seat. None of them said hk sounds better. I tested another truck at the dealer with hk and sound the same as mine, and tested alpine on a 19 and sound like a crap compared to my 17, but still sound better if not the same as the 19 hk

Bacoviah

Reaction score
I come from a car audio competition background and the HK system has some huge flaws. The only reason I bought it was because I’m switching it out eventually and when I bought mine in April didn’t have a whole lot of trucks to choose from. When I bought the truck I did compare the alpine to the HK and the alpine was much better. The Alpine has better highs and midrange, bass and volume. The HK had better midbass though. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Bacoviah

Reaction score
FWIW. If you guys want to hear a incredible stock truck stereo.... stop by and listen the the Nissan Titan platinum Rockford Fosgate system. Holy cow. That thing rocked. I almost bought it instead of the ram just for the stereo. But just could get over my butt hurting in the 15 minute test drive. :)

Agustinacosta

Reaction score
I come from a car audio competition background and the HK system has some huge flaws. The only reason I bought it was because I’m switching it out eventually and when I bought mine in April didn’t have a whole lot of trucks to choose from. When I bought the truck I did compare the alpine to the HK and the alpine was much better. The Alpine has better highs and midrange, bass and volume. The HK had better midbass though. Just my opinion.
I think god gave you an eardrum, malleus and OSsicles like mine. That’s how I would describe the difference. We are on the same page here.

Users who are viewing this thread