5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"updated" fuel filler neck still gets gas pumps stuck to it.

RamBamRepeat

Reaction score
Anyone else running into this even after the "reworked" fuel neck design is swapped in so gas pumps won't get stuck in the truck?

The fuel pump still gets stuck in cap less gas tank, Still takes a half hour or more trying to get the gas pump released from the truck.

Yes, dealer did the new filler nozzle "update" a few weeks ago.

I even took the tech from the Ram dealership down the street to the gas station with me to show him what happens, even with this new gas filler neck design.

Got stuck with him there. He had to pry the pump free with a screwdriver.

I left the truck for three days at the dealership so they could open a star case.

I'm told the star case techs don't know how to fix it.

Ram corporate told the tech to tell me to use the funnel that came with the truck for gas can fill ups, when I'm actually at a gas station to fill the truck.

To attach the white funnel between the truck and the gas pump nozzle.

There is NO way for someone to do this without putting themselves at risk.

The funnel is not flat at the end the pump would go up to it. So, you have to pull back the rubber cover on the gas pump so it thinks it's up against something flat before working.

Then, you have to put that gas pump tip in the funnel you have already inserted in the truck filler hole.

Then, as gas is flowing in, when the gas gets near full, there is no way for the pump to know that to shut it off as you're already tricking it to work, while balancing the pump in the funnel and holding back the rubber cover around the nozzle just so.

Therefore, gas flies back out through the funnel, all over you, the truck etc causing hazards.

And, that is Ram corporate’s idea of a solution currently.

I still smell like fuel, two showers later today.

I love this truck, just want to get this figured out.

Therefore, I'm looking for answers of how to get it fixed right at the dealership if by chance others have had the new neck put in and have run into the above as well and then got a resolve to it.

This is in California.

And, it seems to happen most often at newer Shell gas stations. I want to make sure it's sorted asap and definitely while under warranty as knowing California, this pump style causing the problems will likely be made mandatory statewide in the future!

Plus, you should be able to pull in anywhere and get fuel without the fear of this possibly being the pump that you won't be able to get free from at all. @RamCares

Thanks.

Last edited:

RamBamRepeat

Reaction score
The truck comes with a funnel?

It is a small, white funnel, located by the jack.

Maybe it works if you have a gas can with a spout and are trying to put in fuel from the
can (I was told that was this funnels actual purpose in coming with the truck)
but no way is it a help or fix between the tank and the fuel nozzle getting stuck together.

realralfy

Reaction score
It is a small, white funnel, located by the jack.

Maybe it works if you have a gas can with a spout and are trying to put in fuel from the
can (I was told that was this funnels actual purpose in coming with the truck)
but no way is it a help or fix between the tank and the fuel nozzle getting stuck together.
Interesting....is it something about pumps in California getting stuck? I haven’t had that issue in Tennessee that I’m aware of..

If I recall correctly, pumps in CA have this odd rubber/plastic boot on them that looks like an accordion? Could this boot be the issue?

Maconi

Reaction score
It's probably not helpful but I've never had any issues (and I mostly use Shell). The only issue I've had is where the pump will kick off over and over unless you make sure to push the nozzle in all the way to the spring thing (reasonably, not jamming/forcing it in there).

The pump nozzles around here look like this:
61XQBtbYPPL._SR500,500_.jpg

INVISBLE

Reaction score
Our pumps in TX look like that and I have yet to have this problem... on any vehicle that I own. And I am currently at 8.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I had my first stuck situation at Costco with the original neck. I normally avoid pushing the nozzle all the way in hard, because that usually makes it somewhat hard to pull out. But this time I just shoved it all the way in like I do with my other vehicles.

I was stuck big time, I was feeling the panic because it would not come out no matter what I tried.

The way I got it out eventually was to position the gas pump almost vertical and pull straight up. Came out easily that way. I will test it out again if it gets stuck to do that method first.

Slumlord

Reaction score
He's probably using a balance nozzle if he's in California. The issue I see mostly with these nozzles is they don't seat well against the fill neck and won't dispense. This is the first I've ever heard of one getting stuck in the vehicle.

18-7338-Product_Primary_Image__88357.1482873173__97653.1504814590.jpg

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I've never had a vehicle in California that would get a nozzle stuck, this is my first one. However, RAMs seem to be vulnerable to this. Note sure if it's only in California.

Boston

Reaction score
Is yours a Classic ie 4th gen? There was something up with those years ago.
Video or it never happened

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did California even figure out a way to over complicate a simple gas pump? This is the first I’ve heard of this issue. Hasn’t been an issue and I’ve filled up in at least 5 states.

RamBamRepeat

Reaction score
When I took the Ram tech to show him, so I wouldn’t hear, “We couldn’t replicate thproblem” I didn’t even get to the point of pulling the lever to put gas in.

I set the nozzle gently in the fuel neck, and at that second it was stuck to the truck.

This is when the tech took a flat head screwdriver to pry it free.

It’s the California big rubber foreskin around the pump nozzle Design.

If you never plan on visiting California
In your truck it might not be a problem.
That is unless your state starts adopting and requiring this nozzle design.

Again, with the way things go in California, I don’t want to be in a situation where all gas stations are now required to have this pump design and then those of us in this situation are totally screwed.

The Ram tech said this Shell I took him to was built about 6 months ago.

it’s happened to me at other stations as well in other cities in California. No idea when those pumps were designed and made.

Again, just seeing if anyone else has worked through this to a successful fix.

Thanks.

RamBamRepeat

Reaction score
I've never had a vehicle in California that would get a nozzle stuck, this is my first one. However, RAMs seem to be vulnerable to this. Note sure if it's only in California.

So, have you had the “redesigned” fuel neck installed yet? And, are still having the issue?

I now see online there is a class action law suit in the works over this gas pumps getting stuck to Rams issue. I just sent in my info.

As this is one of various Ram trucks I’ve had over the years, I’m hugely loyal to the brand and this is my favorite truck to date as it is exactly as I want it from the 4x4 package to Ram boxes to vented seats and the Hemi...

except for this concerning pot luck trying to put fuel in it in California issue.

Slumlord

Reaction score
So, have you had the “redesigned” fuel neck installed yet? And, are still having the issue?

I now see online there is a class action law suit in the works over this gas pumps getting stuck to Rams issue. I just sent in my info.

As this is one of various Ram trucks I’ve had over the years, I’m hugely loyal to the brand and this is my favorite truck to date as it is exactly as I want it from the 4x4 package to Ram boxes to vented seats and the Hemi...

except for this concerning pot luck trying to put fuel in it in California issue.

You'll find similar nozzles in any state or county that has vapor recovery required by the local EPA. We have some counties here in Oregon who have the same kind of nozzles. It's not the dispenser itself, it's the hose/nozzle etc that's designed to trap the vapors in the hose and return them to the tank as you dispense. It's rather redundant because almost all vehicles since the early 2000's have some sort of on-board vapor recovery system to trap the vapors and circulate them back to your tank. More and more states have been getting rid of their vapor recovery requirements for this reason alone, and also because it costs the owners of the stations substantially more money to replace vapor recovery hardware on their dispensers.

I've been repairing fuel dispensers for 20 years, that's how I have all this random knowledge on this kind of stuff.

RamBamRepeat

Reaction score
I've been repairing fuel dispensers for 20 years, that's how I have all this random knowledge on this kind of stuff.

I appreciate the random knowledge!

In that attendants have to pump the gas for you in most of Oregon, should make
for some interesting fill ups and conversations upon trying to get the pump out when they do get stuck as the vehicle owner is not supposed to handle the pump.

Ugh.

RamBamRepeat

Reaction score
In case anyone else is searching this issue out, wondering what happened. I had to get a lemon law attorney involved. After 40 plus business days at the dealer undergoing multiple fixes, multiple redesigned fuel necks etc etc...and, gas pumps still getting stuck to the truck, it is going back under lemon law.

I'm not taking a little stuck, twist and wiggle. I'm talking extremely stuck, twisting, turning, pulling the rubber foreskin back on the metal pump rod, trying everything for up to 30 minutes after each fill up.

After each "fix" Ram had the dealer do, it would work a couple times with some to no issue. Then, on gas attempt 3 or 4 or more, full on stuck. Like two dogs going at it in the woods stuck!

So, now it sits as Ram is getting the paperwork to the lawyer for the buy back. Then, after the paperwork is signed, I'm told it can be up to 90 days before Ram sets a turn in date.

As a lifelong Ram driver, this has me way too leery to try to get another one. Is it just this truck? Only a few trucks? If I have the latest fuel neck design in it, that the next brand new truck would have in it, then, I can end up in the same situation surely.

Very frustrating as again, I've only driven Dodge/Ram trucks going back to the early 1990's.

I see online there is a class action lawsuit in the works against Ram over this now as well.

Feel free to share if you dealt with this, ever got a resolve, got a new truck, or are dealing with it. Happy to share the Lemon Law lawyer's info if you need it as well. He practices in various states. Not sure about posting his name here in regards to forum rules, so just PM message me if you can use it.

So, what now? Gladiator? F-150? What for the Bronco? A Wrangler?

SD Rebel

Reaction score
In case anyone else is searching this issue out, wondering what happened. I had to get a lemon law attorney involved. After 40 plus business days at the dealer undergoing multiple fixes, multiple redesigned fuel necks etc etc...and, gas pumps still getting stuck to the truck, it is going back under lemon law.

I'm not taking a little stuck, twist and wiggle. I'm talking extremely stuck, twisting, turning, pulling the rubber foreskin back on the metal pump rod, trying everything for up to 30 minutes after each fill up.

After each "fix" Ram had the dealer do, it would work a couple times with some to no issue. Then, on gas attempt 3 or 4 or more, full on stuck. Like two dogs going at it in the woods stuck!

So, now it sits as Ram is getting the paperwork to the lawyer for the buy back. Then, after the paperwork is signed, I'm told it can be up to 90 days before Ram sets a turn in date.

As a lifelong Ram driver, this has me way too leery to try to get another one. Is it just this truck? Only a few trucks? If I have the latest fuel neck design in it, that the next brand new truck would have in it, then, I can end up in the same situation surely.

Very frustrating as again, I've only driven Dodge/Ram trucks going back to the early 1990's.

I see online there is a class action lawsuit in the works against Ram over this now as well.

Feel free to share if you dealt with this, ever got a resolve, got a new truck, or are dealing with it. Happy to share the Lemon Law lawyer's info if you need it as well. He practices in various states. Not sure about posting his name here in regards to forum rules, so just PM message me if you can use it.

So, what now? Gladiator? F-150? What for the Bronco? A Wrangler?

I had that same issue where it wouldn't come out, but I found the fix, at least for my truck. If it gets super stuck, I pull the back of the pump straight up (near vertical) and then it pulls straight out. Worked out every time.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Weird. I've had two 5th gen rams and never had an issue. I've even put the big rig diesel nozzles in my current ram with no issues.

INVISBLE

Reaction score
Travelled through 14 states over the last year and have yet to have one issue even faintly resembling what your talking about.

RamBamRepeat

Reaction score
Since this has been going on for months now in between multiple dealer visits, I have tried every which way but and loose! So did Ram tech with me at the station.

I've asked in a few places online about this issue trying to find the fix as I really like this truck have only driven Rams going back to the 1990's etc. The tech and the Star Team too worked on it for months. As mentioned, 40 plus business days at the dealer for it over various times and attempted resolves. Some have told me they have had fuel necks replaced as the fix, others have had entire gas tanks replaced and it fixed it. Others have had up to three gas tanks replaced and then they just traded it in etc.

I have no issue with my service advisor or dealer techs, they are good people. They can only do so much with what they are given in terms of latest parts etc from the factory.

Newer California pump set ups seem to be the biggest enemy. Some have said, "Just find another station that doesn't stick and only go to that one." As I travel California to Oregon often with pets, family etc, that doesn't work. And, again, knowing California, when they make it mandatory stations all have this newer pump and if/when the truck is out of warranty at that point, ultra screwed.

Each time the latest redesign of the fuel neck has been installed, gassing up the first few times has a little to no glitch. Then, time 4 on or so, forget it. Battle is on.

Up, down, side to side, smooth, hard, soft, fast slow...even a few "Come on Babies" thrown in and still a good half hour each time while the pump is knotted in the hole. Yes Yes, I've heard or made just about every joke over the situation at this point.

I'm hoping if it's in connection with something beyond just the neck making it happen that a 2021 build won't have the possible issue. Though, I'm having major hesitation on ordering a 2021 as a result.

Thanks for your input and comments. And again, putting this here for reference in case others have the issue now or in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online