5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Updated 2" Mopar Lift/Level Kit - Discussion

siareone

Reaction score
I think I understand what you're thinking, but it's not correct. The spring/shock is not compressed in some fixed area that limits it's length. In fact its the opposite, the spring stiffness and height determines how much static space there will be between the suspension arms.

The shock doesn't capture the spring in any way. It sits inside the spring and aids in how the spring moves up and down, but doesn't limit it in any way. The suspension the shock/spring are connected to have a lot of travel up and down. The taller springs means the suspension is extended farther and gives the higher ride height.

You are right in that a stiffer spring of the same length will have similar effect, but would hurt the ride. That's why a longer spring instead of a stiffer one is preferred to help maintain a smoother stock ride while offering a higher ride height.

That's why when people want to lower a car for cheap, they simply cut the springs or buy shorter springs. Adding a spacer to the spring or getting taller spring does the opposite.

I have a little better ideal now. Thank you for the help. But I still don't feel like i have a clear understanding on the way the spring sits in the strut. So when you have to take the spring off it needs to be compressed with a tool to take the tension out. so the new spring will need to be compressed via the same kind of tool to be put back on the strut. So on the top end there is some limit to how long the strut can go.. Correct? I mean if it didn't you wouldn't need to compress the spring to fit on the strut at all.... So if you had a spring that was say 2" longer even it wouldn't now give you 2 more inch lift... I have watched countless videos on changing springs on struts and the overall assembly looks to be the same length. I might have to go up to my shop as they are doing this to compare one with and one without to see the actual difference of the overall assembly.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a little better ideal now. Thank you for the help. But I still don't feel like i have a clear understanding on the way the spring sits in the strut. So when you have to take the spring off it needs to be compressed with a tool to take the tension out. so the new spring will need to be compressed via the same kind of tool to be put back on the strut. So on the top end there is some limit to how long the strut can go.. Correct? I mean if it didn't you wouldn't need to compress the spring to fit on the strut at all.... So if you had a spring that was say 2" longer even it wouldn't now give you 2 more inch lift... I have watched countless videos on changing springs on struts and the overall assembly looks to be the same length. I might have to go up to my shop as they are doing this to compare one with and one without to see the actual difference of the overall assembly.

Gotcha. Remember that the ride height is based on the spring being compressed by the weight of the vehicle. When you see the spring & shock/strut assembly outside of the vehicle, it's in the most extended position, uncompressed.

In order to fit the spring on the shock/strut perch, you need to compress the spring. This is because the shock length (based on perch location) is shorter than the spring. But it is still well beyond normal ride height when extended fully and not compressed by the weight of the vehicle. If you don't have this tension in the spring and shock assembly you can have the spring come out of the perch when the suspension arms are fully extended, like a jump or on lift.

The extended spring/shock assembly is going to get compressed after it's installed and the vehicle is sitting on it's own weight. The size of the spring and/or stiffness of it will still determine ride height when it's on the ground. So look at it like this, when a longer spring is installed, the truck simply sags less, which results in a higher ride height.

Last edited:

siareone

Reaction score
Gotcha. Remember that the ride height is based on the spring being compressed by the weight of the vehicle.

When you see the spring & shock/strut assembly outside of the vehicle, it's in the most extended position, uncompressed. In order to fit the spring on the shock/strut perch, you need to compress the spring. This is because the shock length is shorter than the spring. But still well beyond normal ride height when compressed by the weight of the vehicle.

The extended spring/shock assembly is going to get compressed after it's installed and the vehicle is sitting on it's own weight. The size of the spring and/or stiffness of it will still determine ride height when it's on the ground.

OK. That makes sense now. Do you know if the ORP springs make the front end any stiffer then the stock springs? Rougher ride?

SD Rebel

Reaction score
OK. That makes sense now. Do you know if the ORP springs make the front end any stiffer then the stock springs? Rougher ride?

That I'm not sure myself, if its just a taller spring or also stiffer. I'm getting ready to do a level soon, I was planning on just doing the ReadyLift 2" with the Upper Control Arms. Your post has made me interested in the option of the ORP spring.

However, my truck is also a Rebel, which is supposed to have a 1" higher ride height to begin with, but based on measurements (center of the wheel to fender arch center), my truck is under 22.5", which means it doesn't have the factory lift. I was told Rams are all over the place when it comes to stock front ride height, I still need to do some more research on it.

Maxram

Reaction score
That I'm not sure myself, if its just a taller spring or also stiffer. I'm getting ready to do a level soon, I was planning on just doing the ReadyLift 2" with the Upper Control Arms. Your post has made me interested in the option of the ORP spring.

However, my truck is also a Rebel, which is supposed to have a 1" higher ride height to begin with, but based on measurements (center of the wheel to fender arch center), my truck is under 22.5", which means it doesn't have the factory lift. I was told Rams are all over the place when it comes to stock front ride height, I still need to do some more research on it.

You should check the sticker on your front springs. I have the ORP and about the same hub to well measurement as you. The part # of my springs are the ORP springs.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
You should check the sticker on your front springs. I have the ORP and about the same hub to well measurement as you. The part # of my springs are the ORP springs.

Thanks for chiming in, so you got exactly 22.5" from center wheel to well arch or slight less/more?

I'll double check my spring numbers today.

Maxram

Reaction score
Thanks for chiming in, so you got exactly 22.5" from center wheel to well arch or slight less/more?

I'll double check my spring numbers today.

Multiple measurements on different as flat as possible surfaces. With my wife and kids in the truck I got 22" one time. Four other checks with no one in the truck and it was 22.5 on the nose or damn close all 4 times.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Multiple measurements on different as flat as possible surfaces. With my wife and kids in the truck I got 22" one time. Four other checks with no one in the truck and it was 22.5 on the nose or damn close all 4 times.

Just checked mine, I got exactly 22.5" as well.

I was wondering what tire size are you running?

siareone

Reaction score

Thanks for your help. Will post some pics soon.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Right now just stock 275/55 R20.

Oh, that's interesting. Your tire size is 31.9", mine is 33.2". So technically, my truck should be 1.3" taller if our suspension heights are the same.

Based at the center wheel to arch would be half that, so .65" taller.

If we are both measuring 2.5", it means your suspension is slightly taller than mine, just over half an inch.

Maxram

Reaction score
Oh, that's interesting. Your tire size is 31.9", mine is 33.2". So technically, my truck should be 1.3" taller if our suspension heights are the same.

Based at the center wheel to arch would be half that, so .65" taller.

If we are both measuring 2.5", it means your suspension is slightly taller than mine, just over half an inch.

You should sit a little higher due to tire size. Take a measure front and back from ground to well if you get a chance, I'll do the same and post it here. Just get the flattest surface possible.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
You should sit a little higher due to tire size. Take a measure front and back from ground to well if you get a chance, I'll do the same and post it here. Just get the flattest surface possible.

Sounds great, I'll check later today, I'll do all 4 sides just to see the variance.

I'll also be at the dealership later today, I'll check a few of the Rams onsite.

SD Rebel

Reaction score

OK, just checked my truck, interesting results...

Driver's Front - 21.50"
Driver's Rear - 23.50"
Passenger's Front - 22.75"
Passenger's Rear - 24.25"

EStein

Reaction score
Hi all. I just went into my dealer to order the Mopar/Fox lift kit and have them install. The woman at the desk said it wasn’t available for my truck. Huh?? I have a 2019 1500 Big Horn. Conventional suspension, not air ride, with the 6.4 bed. She called Mopar and confirmed. Said it was a bed length issue and only available for the short bed? How does that make sense?

I’ve never had much faith in my dealerships service dept but anyone have any thoughts?

Maxram

Reaction score

Driver's Front - 21.50"
Driver's Rear - 23.50"

The difference side to side is likely just due to the ground not being level on both sides. But that's your bub to well measurement

Driver's Front - 21.50"
Driver's Rear - 23.50"
The difference side to side is likely due to the ground not being level from side to side. You're probably more like 22-22.5 in front and 24-25 in the rear on average. That's basically what mine is front to back.

But that's our hub to well measurements not ground to well measurements. If you get a chance measure from the ground up to the bottom of the well and we'll compare. I should be able to get a measurement on it tomorrow.

Maxram

Reaction score
Hi all. I just went into my dealer to order the Mopar/Fox lift kit and have them install. The woman at the desk said it wasn’t available for my truck. Huh?? I have a 2019 1500 Big Horn. Conventional suspension, not air ride, with the 6.4 bed. She called Mopar and confirmed. Said it was a bed length issue and only available for the short bed? How does that make sense?

I’ve never had much faith in my dealerships service dept but anyone have any thoughts?
That doesn't sound right! I'd call another dealer and see what they say.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
The difference side to side is likely just due to the ground not being level on both sides. But that's your bub to well measurement

The difference side to side is likely due to the ground not being level from side to side. You're probably more like 22-22.5 in front and 24-25 in the rear on average. That's basically what mine is front to back.

But that's our hub to well measurements not ground to well measurements. If you get a chance measure from the ground up to the bottom of the well and we'll compare. I should be able to get a measurement on it tomorrow.

Sounds good, I'll check the ground to well measurements as well.

On a side note, I was old there is always a difference in height between left and right side because the weight isn't the same. Usually the driver's side will settle a little lower than the passengers side.

Users who are viewing this thread