5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Update: DO NOT BUY RAM WITH RAMBOX - Warping and Alignment Issue with 2019 Rams

Geobound

Reaction score
This isn't purposely directed at the op , but I don't know why we need another thread on warped Ramboxes as it just makes it more difficult to see what the solution/fixes are, but I do agree that something needs to be done about it.

As for using Ramboxes.........since 2013 I've used them everyday. The best part is when you pickup a takeaway, you just put it in the Rambox and it stays warmer and the smell doesn't linger inside the cab for days.

AtlasRam1500

Reaction score
if your unhappy with the rambox. i traded pickup beds with you .....haha

Msgtowens

Reaction score
I only have a 1000 miles on mine and I have the same issue. I have a 2015 with rambox and no issues. So apparently there was a different vendor between 2015 and 2019. Already pissed.off about the tow mirrors taking the surround view camera away now this. Shouldn't have to deal with this. Ram needs to fix.

Attachments

• 20191026_150131.jpg
    20191026_150131.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 170
  • 20191026_150112.jpg
    20191026_150112.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 171
  • 20191026_150059.jpg
    20191026_150059.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 171

lasani1121

Reaction score
I only have a 1000 miles on mine and I have the same issue. I have a 2015 with rambox and no issues. So apparently there was a different vendor between 2015 and 2019. Already pissed.off about the tow mirrors taking the surround view camera away now this. Shouldn't have to deal with this. Ram needs to fix.
This is just a start. The warping will get worse unfortunately. Let's see what FCA does. They opened a case for me and waiting on hearing from someone soon. I will keep the group updated.

mpmitch1

Reaction score
Same here. Dont know what to do, mine are starting to look like a half pipe.

Attachments

• 20191027_170556.jpg
    20191027_170556.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 183
  • 20191027_170525.jpg
    20191027_170525.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 183
  • 20191027_170545.jpg
    20191027_170545.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 186
  • 20191027_170620.jpg
    20191027_170620.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 188
  • 20191027_170644.jpg
    20191027_170644.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 189
  • 20191027_170611.jpg
    20191027_170611.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 173

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good thing they didn't make any 6'4" Ram boxes in these new 2019/2020 5th-generation (DT) Rams - with a longer lid, they'd probably bow/warp even more.
Hope Ram takes care of this, unlike full denial of AC performance problems with the 5th-gen DT trucks, and the longstanding Ecodiesel issues. Ram seems the most innovative to me, but their quality control really seems to lag the industry.

Zeeya

Reaction score
Both sides of mine are about equal. One not greater than the other. I have been waiting to see if a fix would come along, but I am going in next week to get the rear wheel liners and hood protector put on and will have them start a case so it is documented. "RAMRON", thanks for the pictures. Mine are about the same as far as the top piece separating and warped. Just not right.
I really like the boxes, but I drive 806 miles to work every 2 weeks and then home and when I look in the side mirror I see them and it drives me batty.
Well, I provided information and service manager took pictures. He stated he will submit to get a case started. He really got in to digging around where it is separating on the top and how it has warped. He agreed he would be upset as well and "stated he will ensure this gets started". He seems to think they can take the entire top (cap) off and slide the painted section off and replace the complete top cap and re-install the painted section on the new cap... I have not heard of this fix as of yet. I will wait patiently (for now) and see what STAR comes back with.

borden72

Reaction score
Well, I provided information and service manager took pictures. He stated he will submit to get a case started. He really got in to digging around where it is separating on the top and how it has warped. He agreed he would be upset as well and "stated he will ensure this gets started". He seems to think they can take the entire top (cap) off and slide the painted section off and replace the complete top cap and re-install the painted section on the new cap... I have not heard of this fix as of yet. I will wait patiently (for now) and see what STAR comes back with.
Make sure you get your star case number from the dealer. If you are dealing with Ram customer care, they will not release the star case to the customer. Probably for legal reasons. The less information you have the more protected FCA becomes. I ran into this with my rear sliding window. Fortunately the dealer did provide me with the star case number.

carcorze

Reaction score
Make sure you get your star case number from the dealer. If you are dealing with Ram customer care, they will not release the star case to the customer. Probably for legal reasons. The less information you have the more protected FCA becomes. I ran into this with my rear sliding window. Fortunately the dealer did provide me with the star case number.

I am getting mu drivera side LID and Black Part replaced. Taking Truck tommorow to dealer. What is a STAR case?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When the RamBox idea first appeared I thought it would really useful. After seeing a few on the lots, I questioned the long term fitment, as I’m really get annoyed with fit and finish issues. I was hesitant to order and glad that I didn’t. They really need to solve these types of issues. Great idea, just not implemented adequately

borden72

Reaction score
I am getting mu drivera side LID and Black Part replaced. Taking Truck tommorow to dealer. What is a STAR case?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A Star case is opened up by the dealer to get technical help from FCA. It also notifies FCA of issues not able to be resolved at the dealer level when they need assistance. Without a Star case, they are not asking FCA for help. The more cases opened for a single issue with other owners let's FCA know that this is a bigger issue than just a couple of vehicles.

lasani1121

Reaction score
Update: RamCare reached out to me today and got some good feedback. Good news is that FCA is aware that this is known issue. They rep spoke with Robert Gegg at Tuttle Click Collision Center. Bad news is that there is no solution as of date. I am being told, i'm sure as others may have been as well, that when a feasible solution is given a recall notice will be mailed. There is no time estimate as to long it will take before a solution is realized to fix the warping and alignment issue. I will keep the group updated as and when i get feedback. However, in the meantime, I wold be curious to see before and after pictures of anyone who replaced their rambox with a new rambox.

Ramron

Reaction score
They already did that with mine and my replacement is warping as well. Until they come up with a permanent fix, it will keep warping.

Zeeya

Reaction score
They already did that with mine and my replacement is warping as well. Until they come up with a permanent fix, it will keep warping.
That’s why I have been putting it off. Don’t really want them messing with it until they get a proper fix in. I just knew I had to get it documented

mharringer

Reaction score
Had mine replaced as well, but wish I had left well enough alone. What was irritating is now unacceptable despite 3 weeks at the shop. Goes in next Tuesday for another crack at it.

Zinger

Reaction score
Update: RamCare reached out to me today and got some good feedback. Good news is that FCA is aware that this is known issue. They rep spoke with Robert Gegg at Tuttle Click Collision Center. Bad news is that there is no solution as of date. I am being told, i'm sure as others may have been as well, that when a feasible solution is given a recall notice will be mailed. There is no time estimate as to long it will take before a solution is realized to fix the warping and alignment issue. I will keep the group updated as and when i get feedback. However, in the meantime, I wold be curious to see before and after pictures of anyone who replaced their rambox with a new rambox.

The trend in "fixes" from FCA is that if it can't be fixed with a 5 minute electronic flash it doesn't get fixed unless it's a safety recall. My prediction is they will fix the issue in a later model year and change the design just enough that it's not backwards compatible, and hence won't work for current Rambox owners. Call me a skeptic but I'd bet money on it.

Geobound

Reaction score
When the RamBox idea first appeared I thought it would really useful. After seeing a few on the lots, I questioned the long term fitment, as I’m really get annoyed with fit and finish issues. I was hesitant to order and glad that I didn’t. They really need to solve these types of issues. Great idea, just not implemented adequately

Ramboxes have been around since 2009, and to the best of my knowledge has only been a problem on the 2019 trucks.

I had them on mine since 2013 and never had a day of problem with them. It's only now that the problems seem to be coming out in quantities, and I believe it has to do with not only a material change (in an effort to save weight and get better fuel economy), but also a vendor change.

I don't know why a solution of going back to what it used to be can't be considered, but I'm sure there is an answer for it much more definitive than what I just said about vendor change.

Justbry

Reaction score
I had mine changed at the dealer today, they replaced the caps and the hardware but left the panels alone. Looks great but for how long? I live in south Florida and just know the sun and heat will probably cause it to warp again.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I had mine changed at the dealer today, they replaced the caps and the hardware but left the panels alone. Looks great but for how long? I live in south Florida and just know the sun and heat will probably cause it to warp again.
So they replaced just the top portion?

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ramboxes have been around since 2009, and to the best of my knowledge has only been a problem on the 2019 trucks.

I had them on mine since 2013 and never had a day of problem with them. It's only now that the problems seem to be coming out in quantities, and I believe it has to do with not only a material change (in an effort to save weight and get better fuel economy), but also a vendor change.

I don't know why a solution of going back to what it used to be can't be considered, but I'm sure there is an answer for it much more definitive than what I just said about vendor change.
Yeah, I'm thinking it's one of three possibilities. [1] the new materials (all plastic, I assume?) are not able to withstand the uneven heating caused by the sun's rays, [2] the material is OK but the design is wrong (i.e. there isn't enough section thickness or structural ribbing in the design to resist warping and maintain straightness), or [3] the moulding process is imparting stresses in the parts that take time, and heat, to manifest themselves and relieve the built-in stress by bowing upward. Could be something else, too, but those are the three possibilities that occur to me.

I hope Ram jumps on this and fixes it correctly, and pronto. I'm guessing they might possibly do that, because this is a very visible defect, seen by the public every time these warped-lid trucks are out on the street or in bparking lots, thus a notable black mark against the perception of Ram's quality control.

Users who are viewing this thread