5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uneven Tire Wear

ashleyr

Reaction score
2019 RAM 1500 Laramie
33,500 Miles

Pickup is currently at the dealership after a star case has been opened.

1000 miles ago (1 week ago) I took my RAM to the dealer because the outside shoulder on my front right tire was excessively worn. A technician looked at it and confirmed that their was nothing mechanically wrong and the alignment was within factory specifications, tire pressure was at 35 psi. Two new tires were put on the rear, the front ones junked, and the ones in the rear (which had good tread) were moved to the front. During next 1000 miles (1 week) I monitored the tire pressure of all four tires and they all stayed consistently 36 psi. Truck drove straight as an arrow like it always has. I then started to notice that the outside shoulder of the front right tire was already starting to wear. It is currently at the dealership until further notice because everything appears fine and they are unsure what is causing the problem. The dealership is waiting for assistance from Chrysler.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had the dealer take mine and have an alignment done after I saw some cupping up front in less than 1k miles.
I suggest getting an alignment, at the least they will have a better idea of something is wrong as they're used to looking at steering and suspension components on a daily basis.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

AndreiV

Reaction score
2019 RAM 1500 Laramie
33,500 Miles

1000 miles ago (1 week ago) I took my RAM to the dealer because the outside shoulder on my front right tire was excessively worn. A technician looked at it and confirmed that their was nothing mechanically wrong and the alignment was within factory specifications, tire pressure was at 35 psi. Two new tires were put on the rear, the front ones junked, and the ones in the rear (which had good tread) were moved to the front. During next 1000 miles (1 week) I monitored the tire pressure of all four tires and they all stayed consistently 36 psi. Truck drove straight as an arrow like it always has. I then started to notice that the outside shoulder of the front right tire was already starting to wear. It is currently at the dealership until further notice because everything appears fine and they are unsure what is causing the problem. The dealership is waiting for assistance from Chrysler.

Run front tires at 40 psi cold, rear at 36 cold. There is 1k-lb more weigh upfront, tire wears out on the outside due to turning.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Did they give you an alignment printout?

Sometimes certain angles are "nonadjustable" so there is no specification given, even though something is wrong. Sometimes the reading is something like .5 +/- 1.0. So you could be at 1.5 and they'll call it "in spec" even though it's far enough out to cause wear.

Tracking straight is no guarantee that things are correct. You could have camber pushing you one way but excessive toe counteracting it.

gpbst3

Reaction score
If I got 33k miles on a set of truck tires I would be ecstatic.

I had a Tundra before the Ram and I was lucky to get 16k out of a set of tires. I too had the front outer edges wearing. Always told the truck was within alignment specs and its just a big heavy truck. On my last alignment I told the shop the issue I was having and to over compensate for it. The tires were on schedule for longer tread life before I traded it in.

Im curious to see if the Ram will have the same issues.

Boozygoose

Reaction score
2019 RAM 1500 Laramie
33,500 Miles

I am having same issue. Only passenger front tire, outside edge wearing excessively.

Will make an appointment for dealer and post back with the results of the visit. With Tgiving, probably next appt first week of Dec. I have aftermarket rims but the OEM tires, feel like they are going to blame the wheels.

But, gotta give it a try.

38Thumper

Reaction score
Both of my front tires are wearing very bad on the outside edges running 38 psi cold. The dealer did a alignment and all was in spec. I wonder if it has to do with the adjustable air suspension?? I am going to get new tires and have it aligned again and ask them to go to the other extreme on adjustment. Thoughts!

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I had uneven wear on mine (i was feeling vibration in the truck) and mine wore more in the middle of the tire, not on the outside edges (weird). Inflation was correct and I had the dealer verify alignment. I end up filing a claim with Goodyear and got about $150 off a tire on a new set of 4, since all were worn at that way...replaced at 18K miles

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As an update for my truck, at about 7,300 miles now. I think they are still cupping on the outside edge but I believe it has slowed down. I just have not had a chance to jack it up and rotate tires with the cold and everything else going on.

I'm currently running 41 front and 39 rear

Tombo

Reaction score
I have a 19 Limited and am also having this issue. Discovered it at 20k, dealer told me to pound sand and the warranty only covered alignment for the fist 12k miles. Took it to a different dealer and paid for an alignment and new tires. 3k miles later, outside passenger tire is wearing quick.
Has anyone found any help from FCA?

Raminit

Reaction score
I had my outers wear out pretty quickly. I bought new tires and had it aligned the tech a personal friend told me the alignment was so off that I was plowing \ - /

I only got 15,000 miles out of them

Mr.Gigglez

Reaction score
2019 limited ...same issue 2nd alignment , had 1st done around 8k now at 37k miles and im waiting to replace due to excessive wear on outside front passenger , rotating does fk all neither an alignment ... 2nd alignment was off just a weee bit but nothing to stress about typical road wear .. Realistically should have replaced them about 5k miles ago but I'm just putting off the inevitable ... Never had a truck do this even with being told im within specs

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not sure if it has to do with geometry or if it's just the fact that they're passenger tires on a truck and they wallow and deform around corners that they end up wearing like that.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Outers worn quickly here too, only 2000 miles

Mr.Gigglez

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not sure if it has to do with geometry or if it's just the fact that they're passenger tires on a truck and they wallow and deform around corners that they end up wearing like that.

After doing alot of reading on the uneven wear , id pretty much say there is something wrong with the geometry of the front right suspension the turning radius almost puts it on the side wall when turning right ( the problem is just not on 19s but all years prior and it seems like people just suck it up and put new tires on after rotating every time they stop for a poo break ) ive had ford trucks my entire driving life and i can say that i have never had an issue like this ive had tires last the entire mileage warranty by doing recommended rotations on every oil change for fords .. Ive always bought new and never used i travel for a living so having to rotate tires every 3k miles is enough to make me finally get rid of this waste of money ive had issue after issue with this top of the line turd , I'm not gonna be like the others and keep putting tires on every 20k miles ... I'll sell the truck and never look at Rams again ... going to ford dealer this weekend to do some shopping

Phoebe

Reaction score
After doing alot of reading on the uneven wear , id pretty much say there is something wrong with the geometry of the front right suspension the turning radius almost puts it on the side wall when turning right ( the problem is just not on 19s but all years prior and it seems like people just suck it up and put new tires on after rotating every time they stop for a poo break ) ive had ford trucks my entire driving life and i can say that i have never had an issue like this ive had tires last the entire mileage warranty by doing recommended rotations on every oil change for fords .. Ive always bought new and never used i travel for a living so having to rotate tires every 3k miles is enough to make me finally get rid of this waste of money ive had issue after issue with this top of the line turd , I'm not gonna be like the others and keep putting tires on every 20k miles ... I'll sell the truck and never look at Rams again ... going to ford dealer this weekend to do some shopping
Nice!

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There will be problems on these trucks. It’s in spec it’s in spec. For my own truck, it’s all rapped around tire pressure and what I drive. These trucks and most all trucks are hard on frt tires that do driving turns on the regular. From the original to after I bought truck 2 different tire pressures/stickers on truck.

I have 14k on truck and tires. Regular rotations, there was a point that I lowered my frt psi & noticed quick outside tire wear. Granted, I usually take the back roads home from work. Which are more curves then straight. So I’ve gone back to 45frt 35rear. Last 3k I haven’t noticed that wear as before.

Barqs

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue. Didn't really notice it until I hit about 20k and tried adjusting the tire pressure from 36psi to 40psi, but its too late to save them. I can see fresh wear on both front outer edges whenever I go on short road trips (150-200 miles), so its definitely plowing. I was also wondering if it had something to do with the air suspension. I've had a Gen2, Gen3, Gen4 and now a Gen5 Ram. This is the only one that has had this issue, but it's also my first with air suspension. I've got 25k miles on it now and was hoping to get to 30k before replacing them with some A/T's, but now I think I'll save my money and buy something cheaper if I'm only getting a year's worth of mileage on them. I also plan to make sure it's in the Aero setting when they do the alignment.

41magmag41

Reaction score
audriIV hit it on the head, kick your pressure. I run 39 in the front and 37 in the rear. even wear all the way around

Users who are viewing this thread