5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Undercoating?

chris288

Reaction score
with the ACF-50 can you spray the entire undercarriage with the pump sprayer or do you need to be extra careful, brakes, exhaust etc etc ??

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My dealer offered a protection Plan for $1788 that covers for the lifetime of the truck:
- Paint Sealant & Interior Protection
- Protective Coating for: Headlight, Black Fusion(?), and Wheels
- Undercoating
- Corrosion Protection inside doors and bed sides.
I tend to keep my trucks for a long time and wonder if this might be a good idea. I told them I would let them know next week after I explored it a little. All input would be welcomed.  2022 Ram.jpg

Last edited:

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My dealer offered a protection Plan for $1788 that covers for the lifetime of the truck:
- Paint Sealant & Interior Protection
- Protective Coating for: Headlight, Black Fusion(?), and Wheels
- Undercoating
- Corrosion Protection inside doors and bed sides.
I tend to keep my trucks for a long time and wonder if this might be a good idea. I told them I would let them know next week after I explored it a little. All input would be welcomed.  View attachment 118818
Upsell. The truck and all body parts are dipped in a corrosion inhibitor before painting. Then after paint, there is a clearcoat applied. If you want to spray on additional rust inhibitor underneath, you can do it yourself, just look around the forum. Many think it is a good idea, but they mostly live where the highway department salts the roads. A ceramic coating, or just a good wax will protect the paint, and if you are worried about chips, apply or have someone else apply clear protective PPF. A spray on Scotch guard or similar for cloth seats, and regular wipe down for leather and plastic inside.
I wouldn't get it, but that's just me.

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Upsell. The truck and all body parts are dipped in a corrosion inhibitor before painting. Then after paint, there is a clearcoat applied. If you want to spray on additional rust inhibitor underneath, you can do it yourself, just look around the forum. Many think it is a good idea, but they mostly live where the highway department salts the roads. A ceramic coating, or just a good wax will protect the paint, and if you are worried about chips, apply or have someone else apply clear protective PPF. A spray on Scotch guard or similar for cloth seats, and regular wipe down for leather and plastic inside.
I wouldn't get it, but that's just me.
Thanks, I was thinking more for the warranty, but it sounds like they've made improvements in corrosion inhibitors since I purchased my previous trucks. I have a 2001 2500 Ram that looks like Swiss cheese, and a 2000 F250 with bad cab corners rust starting under doors. They salt/brine the roads like crazy during the winter around here.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Keep in mind, all the upsells are third party. These do not tie to your FCA warranty. The dealer is not FCA, they are an independent authorized distributor of FCA vehicles.

The sales people and finance guys who upsell third party products are just typical low life, skeezey, lower than pond scum, one step above phone scam callers from Pakastan, dirt bags. They will lie to thier grandparents and children to make a sale. It won't help your warranty.

Of course any low life sales or phone scam people who are forum members are excluded.... 🙄

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks, I was thinking more for the warranty, but it sounds like they've made improvements in corrosion inhibitors since I purchased my previous trucks. I have a 2001 2500 Ram that looks like Swiss cheese, and a 2000 F250 with bad cab corners rust starting under doors. They salt/brine the roads like crazy during the winter around here.
I also keep my trucks for a long time, and also got the undercoating and rustproofing but mine is from FCA, lifetime warranty, one time application, the suggested price was $2600 but paid half so $1300, the undercoating is a black rubberized coating applied to the underneath components of the truck, the rust proofing is a waxy coating applied on the inside of the body panels and at the hinges of the doors, tailg it was clear when applied but is now a dark yellow, it really stands out on a bright white truck, it is seen when the doors, tailgate or hood are opened, not very appealing but it’s protection.
I received the FCA rust protection brochure and read the fine print, it covers up to $3,000 of lifetime repair cost, so as soon as you discover some rust get it repaired because $3,000 will not go far.

I’ve had several different rustproofing done to many vehicles in the past, from the dealers and aftermarket, most of my vehicles stated to rust after several years and was never able to get warranty coverage, the worst one by far was Krown, mainly because of the owner, the best aftermarket rust protection I’ve had done is called Corrosion Free, it is more expensive but is applied every 18 months instead of every 12 months so it is cheaper in the long run.
I really don’t care about the warranty literature, but I really care about the actual rust protection performance, even though I got my truck rustproofed at the FCA, I also got it rustproofed at Corosion Free, I also get my wife’s Jeep done at Corosion Free so I get a discount, if I remember correctly it was $160 for the Jeep and $180 for my truck, every 18 months.

Hopefully my truck will not rust!

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If they salt the roads, you might look for a good rust protection, but ask around from people that have personal experience.

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Keep in mind, all the upsells are third party. These do not tie to your FCA warranty. The dealer is not FCA, they are an independent authorized distributor of FCA vehicles.

The sales people and finance guys who upsell third party products are just typical low life, skeezey, lower than pond scum, one step above phone scam callers from Pakastan, dirt bags. They will lie to thier grandparents and children to make a sale. It won't help your warranty.

Of course any low life sales or phone scam people who are forum members are excluded.... 🙄

I agree! The BS sensor went off when they said they clay bar and ceramic coat the truck and it could be done in a couple hours. When I asked how many days it will need to cure, they said it was a special ceramic coating that cures instantly. I will pass on this service and look into other rust prevention services.
Thanks everyone.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree! The BS sensor went off when they said they clay bar and ceramic coat the truck and it could be done in a couple hours. When I asked how many days it will need to cure, they said it was a special ceramic coating that cures instantly. I will pass on this service and look into other rust prevention services.
Thanks everyone.
Good BS meter.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Everything but the brake areas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What do you do for prep if you haven’t been applying this stuff since new?

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I just sprayed degreaser under the truck and pressure washed everything. Let it dry for a day or two then apply

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread