5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unable to Engage 4wd Low

akhil.g

Reaction score
I own a Ram Big Horn 2020. I'm unable to shift to 4wd low. but I'm able to select 4wd H and 4wd auto. when i turn on the truck and select 4wd auto, it will blink for few seconds, and it will show 4wd shift cancelled.

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
I've never had this issue with either of my Rams, but I had it with one of my Chevys. The electric solenoid/motor that shifts the gears in the transfer case had burned up. If my Ram gave me this issue, that's where I would start based on my past experience.

However, I'm sure someone with more knowledge on Ram 4wd systems can point you in a good direction!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I own a Ram Big Horn 2020. I'm unable to shift to 4wd low. but I'm able to select 4wd H and 4wd auto. when i turn on the truck and select 4wd auto, it will blink for few seconds, and it will show 4wd shift cancelled.
When Trying to go into 4-low are you stopped with transmission in neutral?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
When you tried it in park and drive the computer probably said...oh no, shut him down.

To go into 4 low you should be in neutral coasting under 5 mph. You can also just be in neutral, but a slight roll is best.

You could try unhooking your battery. It may then let you try.

Transmission neutral, slow coast select 4wd Low.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
We are terribly sorry to hear that this is happening to your vehicle, Akhil. If concerns persist, we'd recommend reaching out to a certified dealership near you. If you need further assistance please send us a private message, we'll do our best to accommodate your needs.

Chris,
Ram Cares

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A few months ago I couldn't shift to 4H, 4L, or 4A.

I bought swapped this out and it fixed the problem. Be sure to clean out the electrical connector (mine was covered in oil from the previous owners dealer oil changes).

For $100 and ten minutes, I did that vs a trip to the dealer (or two) and my $200 MaxCare deductible.

Users who are viewing this thread