5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UConnect Screen Ghosting Images

bpwj76

Reaction score
Does anyone else notice that the infotainment screen will have ghost images of whatever screen you were on previously? It's just sort of annoying during normal driving, but when the backup camera comes on and you can still see your radio display or whatever, it diminishes the quality of the camera image.

I searched the forums here and did find several people who had the issue, but they were from over a year ago and no one ever updated whether or not they got it fixed. I'm just wondering if there is a fix or if we just live with it.

Attachments

• UConnect Screen Ghosting.jpg
    UConnect Screen Ghosting.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 145

tonyplants

Reaction score
Does anyone else notice that the infotainment screen will have ghost images of whatever screen you were on previously? It's just sort of annoying during normal driving, but when the backup camera comes on and you can still see your radio display or whatever, it diminishes the quality of the camera image.

I searched the forums here and did find several people who had the issue, but they were from over a year ago and no one ever updated whether or not they got it fixed. I'm just wondering if there is a fix or if we just live with it.
That's pretty normal...there is a brightness adjustment in settings, but my experience has been depends of exterior light conditions and outside temperatures...just a little annoying, but mine has never burned in the images...I have V4

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
That would annoy the crap outta me. None of my trucks have done that. How can that be normal? Normal would be if it happened to everyone. Normal is no ghosting, so by definition it's abnormal.

bpwj76

Reaction score
That would annoy the crap outta me. None of my trucks have done that. How can that be normal? Normal would be if it happened to everyone. Normal is no ghosting, so by definition it's abnormal.
Yeah, I don't think it's normal either. None of my other cars with large infotainment screens ever did that. I was hoping that some others who've noticed it on theirs and took it to the dealer would share what the dealer said/did.

LakesAZ

Reaction score
That is not normal! I have never seen it on my screen and if I did my first stop would be the dealer.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Hi there-- we see you might be experiencing some concerns with your Uconnect system. We'd like to look into this for you. Please send our team a private message with your VIN and additional details if you'd like our support.

Courtney
Ram Cares

BGlines

Reaction score
Mine does the same thing! I cannot figure it out and the dealer cannot help me. I am over the mileage for the warranty so they wont replace either. A friend of mine is saying it could be the module that isnt allowing the screen to switch fast enough. It does it on my cluster also.

bpwj76

Reaction score
So I took my truck in for an oil change this morning and mentioned to them about the screen ghosting and showed them. They said after the oil change they'd see if the Uconnect system needed an update and if so, run the update and see if that fixed the issue. Well, it did need an update, but it didn't fix the issue. So they have determined that it needs a whole new head unit.
The new unit is supposed to be in in about 3 weeks. I'll update here after the install.

For reference, I've added some new pics from this morning. You shouldn't be able to see the "Radio" screen's info when CarPlay is displayed. Then when the backup camera is on, you shouldn't be able to see anything but what the camera sees. You can see CarPlay icons on the left, the outside temp at the top AND info from the Radio.

Screen 1.jpg Screen 2.jpg

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree that it's not normal behavior for a screen. I do not know all the options available on these displays, but there's a chance that your dealer reflashing the UC Firmware could very well fix it.

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I took my truck in for an oil change this morning and mentioned to them about the screen ghosting and showed them. They said after the oil change they'd see if the Uconnect system needed an update and if so, run the update and see if that fixed the issue. Well, it did need an update, but it didn't fix the issue. So they have determined that it needs a whole new head unit.
The new unit is supposed to be in in about 3 weeks. I'll update here after the install.

For reference, I've added some new pics from this morning. You shouldn't be able to see the "Radio" screen's info when CarPlay is displayed. Then when the backup camera is on, you shouldn't be able to see anything but what the camera sees. You can see CarPlay icons on the left, the outside temp at the top AND info from the Radio.

View attachment 110016 View attachment 110017
Sorry, I posted right as you did. If those ghosted images are staying there for longer than a few seconds then you definitely need a new unit. That's more burn in than ghosting.

BGlines

Reaction score
How much are the new head units? My dealer said I am over the warranty since I am over the mileage but not the time frame...

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How much are the new head units? My dealer said I am over the warranty since I am over the mileage but not the time frame...
Maybe it's this?
or this?

bpwj76

Reaction score
Sorry, I posted right as you did. If those ghosted images are staying there for longer than a few seconds then you definitely need a new unit. That's more burn in than ghosting.
No, it's not burn in. The images aren't there when I first start the truck. Then the images that get ghosted change depending on what screen was there before. When I'm listening to YouTube Music app on CarPlay, it will show the previous song title and album art underneath the current song and album art. See the pic in my original post.

Anyway, it's getting replaced under warranty. Hopefully I won't have to worry about it ever again.

bpwj76

Reaction score
They replaced the head unit/brain portion of the center stack today and it did not fix the ghosting issue. They have ordered a new screen now to see if that fixes it. I really don't see how a new screen will fix it since it is not burned in images that are permanently on the screen. They always fade away, but it takes about 30 seconds. Will keep y'all posted.

Things I've noticed already with the new head unit:
The touch sensitive part is better. I used to have to touch low and to the right of whatever it was I was trying to select.
It pulls up whatever screen I was on last when I restart the truck. The old one would 9 times out of 10 pull up the Phone menu at startup.
It now shows the RAM logo on shutdown instead of the ram's head logo.

I really hope CarPlay pulls up every time when I plug in my iPhone now. I haven't had a chance to test it. The old one would sometimes refuse to allow CarPlay. I would have to shut off the truck and wait a long time... like 5 minutes or so and restart it.

Ldc2335

Reaction score
My radio doesn't do it, but my gauge cluster screen does. But not all the time.
23312fdabeec101ceb5e349a55b5e834.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S21 Ultra using Tapatalk

bpwj76

Reaction score
My radio doesn't do it, but my gauge cluster screen does. But not all the time.
23312fdabeec101ceb5e349a55b5e834.jpg

Interesting... I'm thinking this is a software issue. It's definitely not burn-in like I think my dealer thinks it is. The images aren't permanent. That's why I don't think a new screen is going to solve my particular issue.

Ldc2335

Reaction score
Agree. Definitely not burn in.

bpwj76

Reaction score
Now that I've had some time with the new head unit in my truck, I've noticed that some sound related issues have been resolved. With the old unit, phone calls came through way too loud and distorted sounding. I had to turn the volume down to 9 or 10. Now it's crystal clear and can leave it on the default 15. That was the same for the navigation voice and Siri. They were way too loud at the default 15 and sounded distorted. The radio and media through the stereo sound better now too. Not sure what was going on with that old head unit.

Users who are viewing this thread