5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uconnect Over Air Update is Awesome!

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just got the over-the-air update, it says 30 minutes but it took about 15 minutes, and one of the coolest things is now you can adjust the volume for nav and it will stay there!

Instead of it reverting back to that ridiculously loud volume that shocks everyone in the car.

There are a few other updates with the interface, I think you guys will like it!

Jako

Reaction score
Just got the over-the-air update, it says 30 minutes but it took about 15 minutes, and one of the coolest things is now you can adjust the volume for nav and it will stay there!

Instead of it reverting back to that ridiculously loud volume that shocks everyone in the car.

There are a few other updates with the interface, I think you guys will like it!
What radio do you have? I just got an update on my 8.4 Nav yesterday. Have not really used the Ram to know what the updates are.

kittyjo

Reaction score
So that’s what it does!! Lol anything else u figured out? It wud be much appreciated

SD Rebel

Reaction score
What radio do you have? I just got an update on my 8.4 Nav yesterday. Have not really used the Ram to know what the updates are.

So that’s what it does!! Lol anything else u figured out? It wud be much appreciated

Opps, forget to mention I have the 8.4 NAV.

It just said on my screen that it's an update for Emergency or some other subsystem, I though that's all it would have done, but it seems to have tweaked the user interface a little along with the with the aforementioned volume fix for the NAV.

I still need to play with it some more, seems that my Android Auto is more responsive along with a better looking interface. Just note your satellite radio station presets will get erased.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would say that 12 presets is pretty lame - my Chevy had 18 or 24 I forget now. Seems that would be something they could update rather easily.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Yes, it is awesome but like any software upgrade - it sucks when the radio chokes with the new upgrade and becomes a brick. Good to know you’re worked...some folks haven’t been as fortunate.

Heisrizn

Reaction score
Does FCA put out patch notes for these updates?

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Does FCA put out patch notes for these updates?

You get a note after the update is completed, you can click on it, should give details on what was done, but accidentally pressed no and missed the details since I was on the road at the time.

Heisrizn

Reaction score
You get a note after the update is completed, you can click on it, should give details on what was done, but accidentally pressed no and missed the details since I was on the road at the time.
You and me both. Hence the reason I'm looking for the patch notes.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
You and me both. Hence the reason I'm looking for the patch notes.

Yeah, because then you have to rely on what you think changed, like was there there before? Or did they change that, maybe? Lol.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just note your satellite radio station presets will get erased.
As well as the AM and FM station presets.

Got the update over the weekend. The only changes for me were the loss of every station preset and some of my SMX channels that now tell me that they are not part of my subscription.

NAV voice still starts loud (even at volume level 3) and my EVIC theme still doesn't last more than 1/2 day before going back to THEME 1.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
As well as the AM and FM station presets.

Got the update over the weekend. The only changes for me were the loss of every station preset and some of my SMX channels that now tell me that they are not part of my subscription.

NAV voice still starts loud (even at volume level 3) and my EVIC theme still doesn't last more than 1/2 day before going back to THEME 1.

That's interesting, I have to check my radio stations, I'm sure they are gone as well.

The NAV volume I checked several times, it stays where I leave it now, though at first I adjusted it at the master volume. Any volume higher than 2 is pretty loud, which is just weird on these radios. I keep mine at 1 if I'm along or 2 if someone is in the vehicle.

My themes never changed after I changed it, even before this update. Did you try to dealer to see if there was a firmware update that was needed before?

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Checked for an update all 8 times I was at the dealership for warranty work.

The center theme 'sticks' but the theme for the 7" EVIC in the instrument cluster has never lasted more than 2 days before reverting back to THEME 1.

Yes, first world problems, but I paid for it so it should work. I could have bough a nice Mercedes C Class sedan for what I paid for my truck. I'm pretty sure a Mercedes owner wouldn't overlook it.

Cdodd1964

Reaction score

Completed mine on Saturday, lost the overhead power...No lights, no SOS, no Assist, nothing

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Checked for an update all 8 times I was at the dealership for warranty work.

The center theme 'sticks' but the theme for the 7" EVIC in the instrument cluster has never lasted more than 2 days before reverting back to THEME 1.

Yes, first world problems, but I paid for it so it should work. I could have bough a nice Mercedes C Class sedan for what I paid for my truck. I'm pretty sure a Mercedes owner wouldn't overlook it.

Absolutely, that sucks man, sorry to hear you are having all those issue with your truck. I haven't seen the dealer since the day I bought it two years ago, if I would have to go in so many times already I would be pissed for sure.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Completed mine on Saturday, lost the overhead power...No lights, no SOS, no Assist, nothing

I need to check mine, I didn't actually check those systems, I'll report back.

Maybe disconnect your battery for a minute and let it reboot again? That seems to fix issues like this for some folks, you won't have access to everything for several hours as it slowly comes back online though. But maybe worth a try before you go to the dealership.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Am so grateful I only purchased the 8.4 and not the 8.4N or 12. The salesman thought I lost my mind when I went from a 2019 8.4N to a 2021 8.4 but like I told him - the upgrades are killer, the Nav sucks as I get better from my iPhone and Carplay, and saw no upside to staying with the 8.4N or going with the 12. Someday FCA may get their crap together but until then I feel for you guys who have to put up with upgrade issues.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Am so grateful I only purchased the 8.4 and not the 8.4N or 12. The salesman thought I lost my mind when I went from a 2019 8.4N to a 2021 8.4 but like I told him - the upgrades are killer, the Nav sucks as I get better from my iPhone and Carplay, and saw no upside to staying with the 8.4N or going with the 12. Someday FCA may get their crap together but until then I feel for you guys who have to put up with upgrade issues.

So far not issues, just checked my system, everything works great with my 8.4 Nav, never had a single issue in the 2 years I have the truck nor any updates including this big one. Obviously there are folks with issues, though I don't think it's the norm.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had three issues in three years. Haven’t had an issue with my 8.4 at all. Sooner or later we all have a problem with our Rams. Then again, that is the peril we all (Ram, Ford, GM) all face driving super computers on wheels. No wonder the low tech Toyota’s are so reliable! 😉

Users who are viewing this thread