5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uconnect Over Air Update is Awesome!

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Had three issues in three years. Haven’t had an issue with my 8.4 at all. Sooner or later we all have a problem with our Rams. Then again, that is the peril we all (Ram, Ford, GM) all face driving super computers on wheels. No wonder the low tech Toyota’s are so reliable! 😉

Absolutely, my buddy got a new Tacoma, it's like a 10 year old truck but brand new. Like buying a new Harley Davidson, though that's even older.

Yeah, I know things can happen, but with the FCA dealership network, I really hope it doesn't, because they are just as likely to compound the issue than fix it.

jastevenson

Reaction score
I have the 8.4c and am in CarPlay 99 percent of the time and it works well. In the rare cases I have used built in radio and nav, no real issues.

Any reason to install this update, given the risks?

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I have the 8.4c and am in CarPlay 99 percent of the time and it works well. In the rare cases I have used built in radio and nav, no real issues.

Any reason to install this update, given the risks?

I had no issues at all, but somebody else did, so it's up to you, but you essentially have zero issues now, I would hold off until they fix any bugs that maybe effecting others.

1500DFW

Reaction score
My update caused the USB 3 port to quit working entirely. I used it to plug-in my wireless car play device. Dealership said I had to replace the port. Hopefully they can roll it back or something.

jastevenson

Reaction score
Ok that’s it, I am definitely not installing this update unless it makes it so my truck can fly or something.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Absolutely, that sucks man, sorry to hear you are having all those issue with your truck. I haven't seen the dealer since the day I bought it two years ago, if I would have to go in so many times already I would be pissed for sure.
It's been frustrating for sure but I knew what I was getting into with the first year of a new generation.

I would have waited until 2020 (and the MFT) but my last truck was totaled in an accident (not my fault) and it was either get an F-150 that I was not impressed with or roll the dice on the new 5th gen RAM which I loved (I like the outside of the 4th gen RAM but not the inside).

I haven't had any major mechanical issues and I've gotten a loaner/rental every time I've dropped it off. The only thing it's 'cost' me so far is time to drop it off and pick it up.

If I had to do it all over again I'd still get my truck. Nothing's perfect and I've loved every mile I've driven it.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
It's been frustrating for sure but I knew what I was getting into with the first year of a new generation.

I would have waited until 2020 (and the MFT) but my last truck was totaled in an accident (not my fault) and it was either get an F-150 that I was not impressed with or roll the dice on the new 5th gen RAM which I loved (I like the outside of the 4th gen RAM but not the inside).

I haven't had any major mechanical issues and I've gotten a loaner/rental every time I've dropped it off. The only thing it's 'cost' me so far is time to drop it off and pick it up.

If I had to do it all over again I'd still get my truck. Nothing's perfect and I've loved every mile I've driven it.

I have to say, my 2019 has been flawless, which actually makes me frustrated for those who have those issues, if my truck doesn't have issues, then why not everyone else. I am a believer though that RAM service isn't at the level it needs to be, they could be compounding your issues by not fixing it right the first time.

How has your dealership service experience been on these issues?

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My dealership has done well compared to most. They've addressed everything I've brought it in for except the tailgate cable and the A/C.

I have 6 dealerships in my 'area' (within 45 minute drive) and there are only 2 that have a decent service department from my experience. There's a dealership about 2 miles from me but I wouldn't trust them to watch my dog. I drive 25 minutes to a family-owned dealership that has been good to me and addressed my concerns (whether they fixed something or not). It also helps that I'm 52 years old and am not asking for anything outside what (I think) are realistic expectations for concerns.

They've tried 3 different part numbers for tailgate cables with no change and they re-programmed the blend doors after nearly a year of complaining about the A/C temps. It helped but wasn't a 'fix' for the issue but they said that's all they can do until FCA comes out with something (which is the TSB).

This is my first new vehicle and the first time in 20 years that someone is working on my vehicles that isn't me. I've had a lot of visits but that's what the basic warranty is for...to iron out any issues from the factory.

If I can get them to do the A/C TSB and fix my map lights that fried I'll be happy.

Jako

Reaction score
My dealership has done well compared to most. They've addressed everything I've brought it in for except the tailgate cable and the A/C.

I have 6 dealerships in my 'area' (within 45 minute drive) and there are only 2 that have a decent service department from my experience. There's a dealership about 2 miles from me but I wouldn't trust them to watch my dog. I drive 25 minutes to a family-owned dealership that has been good to me and addressed my concerns (whether they fixed something or not). It also helps that I'm 52 years old and am not asking for anything outside what (I think) are realistic expectations for concerns.

They've tried 3 different part numbers for tailgate cables with no change and they re-programmed the blend doors after nearly a year of complaining about the A/C temps. It helped but wasn't a 'fix' for the issue but they said that's all they can do until FCA comes out with something (which is the TSB).

This is my first new vehicle and the first time in 20 years that someone is working on my vehicles that isn't me. I've had a lot of visits but that's what the basic warranty is for...to iron out any issues from the factory.

If I can get them to do the A/C TSB and fix my map lights that fried I'll be happy.
How close did they get with the tailgate cables? My dealership tried and also tried to make it appear fixed, neither worked. No real difference from what I could tell.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How close did they get with the tailgate cables? My dealership tried and also tried to make it appear fixed, neither worked. No real difference from what I could tell.
A little closer. When I first got the truck I could stand on the tailgate (I'm 260 lbs) and the left cable was still very slack. Now the left one is mostly taut. An improvement but not much.

Jako

Reaction score
A little closer. When I first got the truck I could stand on the tailgate (I'm 260 lbs) and the left cable was still very slack. Now the left one is mostly taut. An improvement but not much.
My left has a little slack (both original and replacement) and does become taut with my 250 lbs. No big deal as from what I have seen goes across all makes. I had it done at the same time while at dealership for an issue not coming out of first gear and a TSB for my ANC/MDS (fixed) an. I guess 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As well as the AM and FM station presets.

Got the update over the weekend. The only changes for me were the loss of every station preset and some of my SMX channels that now tell me that they are not part of my subscription.

NAV voice still starts loud (even at volume level 3) and my EVIC theme still doesn't last more than 1/2 day before going back to THEME 1.
Update on the Sirius SM channels. Turns out the update removed channels I wasn't supposed to have. Last year I renewed but for the Select package instead of the All-Access that comes with the trial so I can't be upset about that.

U

User_3336

8.4 NAV. Said there was an update ready to install today, 38 minutes to install. I just went inside. Hope it finished on its own.

Users who are viewing this thread