5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UConnect does not update Weather Map

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think you should stop reading these forums and enjoy the great truck you purchased. :) Travel Link weather map is a Free service for 5 years and I can count on one finger the number of times I used it over the last six years.

Fourms are a place for a tiny minority of users to either complain or expound the greatness of a product and everything needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

If you had owned a Gen 2 Ecodiesel you'd go to bed each night with an upset stomach after reading the forum rather than just enjoying the great truck that it was for almost everyone who owned one.
YMMV, some people spent the extra money just for these extra features. I'd be pissed if I upgraded to supposedly superior hardware only to realize features I'd actually want to use are gimped on it.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
YMMV, some people spent the extra money just for these extra features. I'd be pissed if I upgraded to supposedly superior hardware only to realize features I'd actually want to use are gimped on it.
Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if my truck was perfect but, maybe because I'm old, I find it better not to dwell on the little things.

LV426

Reaction score
Here's the thing, I could honestly care less about VHR's & the weather map.... Yes, I expect them to work because I paid for them but it's not ruining my life...
However, my suspicions have been that something is wrong with the radio, and for those who paid extra or went out of their way to get the truck with this specific radio, it's concerning. I personally passed on another truck with the 8.4 and some other things I wanted.

Also, in my experience when hardware is not properly supported, other things will have issues down the road, guaranteed... A lot of this truck is incorporated into that radio, reading these forum's has been incredibly helpful and I've discovered several ongoing issues with it, so I'm concerned for the longevity of the truck.

Last edited:

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if my truck was perfect but, maybe because I'm old, I find it better not to dwell on the little things.
I do not consider anything that costs thousands of dollars to be little.

I don't use the built in nav or the weather alerts, but I did get the larger stack specifically to have Android Auto and the Radio screens stacked on top of each other. If that didn't work I would be up in arms about it as well.

The hardware should work, and there should be better support than there currently is.

Lovinsoulglo

Reaction score
Just wanted to chime in. Just bought a new 2022 Ram 1500 sport. Love the truck however that darned weather app keeps giving me the “error loading please try again later”. My xm just switch from demo to platinum so I was hoping that would fix it but no luck. Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated (I tried everything posted on the thread thus far)

LV426

Reaction score
Well, the weather app was broke on the UC4 12", maybe it carried over to the new ones...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-11-27 142811.png
    Screenshot 2021-11-27 142811.png
    59.7 KB · Views: 36

Jsvt3

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just wanted to chime in. Just bought a new 2022 Ram 1500 sport. Love the truck however that darned weather app keeps giving me the “error loading please try again later”. My xm just switch from demo to platinum so I was hoping that would fix it but no luck. Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated (I tried everything posted on the thread thus far)
Mine is doing the same thing.

Biesty

Reaction score
So I was also having the issue everyone else was having. If I waited for 1-2 minutes, it might flash up the weather on the blank map, then it would go away after 30 seconds and never reappears.

I just purchased the map update (I received an email) for my 2020 Limited with the 12" screen and I was provided both a UConnect system update as well as the map update. The UConnect system update fixed the weather issue. It works as I would expect it to now ... it will show radar within a couple of minutes and holds the radar on screen with updates to the radar every couple of minutes. I have only tested it for one ride so far so hopefully it continues to work correctly.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I was also having the issue everyone else was having. If I waited for 1-2 minutes, it might flash up the weather on the blank map, then it would go away after 30 seconds and never reappears.

I just purchased the map update (I received an email) for my 2020 Limited with the 12" screen and I was provided both a UConnect system update as well as the map update. The UConnect system update fixed the weather issue. It works as I would expect it to now ... it will show radar within a couple of minutes and holds the radar on screen with updates to the radar every couple of minutes. I have only tested it for one ride so far so hopefully it continues to work correctly.
How much did the update cost? My map doesn’t do anything and I find that the local weather app is inaccurate as well.

Biesty

Reaction score
How much did the update cost? My map doesn’t do anything and I find that the local weather app is inaccurate as well.
The total cost with shipping and taxes was $160.60. The shipping was supposed to be free, but it wouldn't discount it. The shipping was $3.95 so I just went ahead with the purchase.
I have taken two rides since the update and the weather worked properly both times, but I can't say long term if it will continue to work properly, but it would seem like it should.

I believe this update is for 2019 and 2020 1500s I am not sure if the 2021 has an update yet and the 2022 would definitely be a completely different update.

The system update should be free and is what fixed the weather but I don't see the ability to get it other than paying for the map update. I suspect we could "share" our system updates, but some vehicles need two system updates and you could easily break your system permanently if you needed two updates and you applied a single newer update without first applying the older update. I only needed one update and thus that was all I was shipped. You may want to ask your dealer about the system update and maybe they will perform it for you or provide it without the maps. It is ridiculous and wrong that you can only get the system updates by purchasing the maps (this is my opinion and I do work with software development so I don't need anyone responding that they disagree with me or I'm wrong - this is simply my opinion).

Additionally, the directions say to start the vehicle and let it run while performing the update. When I did the system update, I just put the ignition into "run" mode and performed the update. DO NOT DO THIS. In run mode the ignition will completely shut off after about 15-20 minutes. If your update isn't finished within that time you just broke your system permanently. I was very lucky but then realized I better not do that with the map update. So - make sure you start the truck and leave it running during any of these updates.

LV426

Reaction score
The total cost with shipping and taxes was $160.60. The shipping was supposed to be free, but it wouldn't discount it. The shipping was $3.95 so I just went ahead with the purchase.
I have taken two rides since the update and the weather worked properly both times, but I can't say long term if it will continue to work properly, but it would seem like it should.

I believe this update is for 2019 and 2020 1500s I am not sure if the 2021 has an update yet and the 2022 would definitely be a completely different update.

The system update should be free and is what fixed the weather but I don't see the ability to get it other than paying for the map update. I suspect we could "share" our system updates, but some vehicles need two system updates and you could easily break your system permanently if you needed two updates and you applied a single newer update without first applying the older update. I only needed one update and thus that was all I was shipped. You may want to ask your dealer about the system update and maybe they will perform it for you or provide it without the maps. It is ridiculous and wrong that you can only get the system updates by purchasing the maps (this is my opinion and I do work with software development so I don't need anyone responding that they disagree with me or I'm wrong - this is simply my opinion).

Additionally, the directions say to start the vehicle and let it run while performing the update. When I did the system update, I just put the ignition into "run" mode and performed the update. DO NOT DO THIS. In run mode the ignition will completely shut off after about 15-20 minutes. If your update isn't finished within that time you just broke your system permanently. I was very lucky but then realized I better not do that with the map update. So - make sure you start the truck and leave it running during any of these updates.
I would be very interested as to what this update includes that fixes the "data update issue" or whatever it would be called with SXM (weather, travel, music). Mine also gets "stuck" on album art for like 3 or 4 songs and then it changes, very annoying... I assume this is associated with the weather not updating and the traffic not updating (could be wrong).

I'd also like to know why they are not applying this update OTA or telling us to go to our dealer to get it. Unless it literally patches nothing radio related and is just there to facilitate the Nav update. (which would suggest the weather/traffic improvement you are experiencing is just a fluke, I've had mine appear to work again and then crap out )

BTW, they fixed the glitch now that was preventing the free shipping included so they can do something right... (y)

Attachments

• UC4.JPG
    UC4.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Thanks for the response. The thought of having to spend $160 on something that never worked from the time I bought the truck really angers me. I have two more years of free Travelink and the weather has never worked so it pisses me off that I need to pay for an update to get it working. Unreal.

Biesty

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. The thought of having to spend $160 on something that never worked from the time I bought the truck really angers me. I have two more years of free Travelink and the weather has never worked so it pisses me off that I need to pay for an update to get it working. Unreal.
I couldn't agree more. I wanted the maps for some new roads in my area but it's definitely wrong to force you to buy maps to get updates that fix an otherwise broken system. I feel like they should extend my 5 year free plan another year since I couldn't use it for a year. I'd recommend talking to your dealer and tell them a system update is available and you want it without having to pay for the maps. At least see what there response is.

LV426

Reaction score
I couldn't agree more. I wanted the maps for some new roads in my area but it's definitely wrong to force you to buy maps to get updates that fix an otherwise broken system. I feel like they should extend my 5 year free plan another year since I couldn't use it for a year. I'd recommend talking to your dealer and tell them a system update is available and you want it without having to pay for the maps. At least see what there response is.
You are 100% correct and this is why I have some ill will towards Uconnect... Having dealt with them a few times via email, twitter, etc I have concluded that they are completely out of touch with their products, give only scripted answers and take zero responsibility for their poorly supported products. There are also too many involved, (Uconnect, SXM, RAM- whatever) and no one takes charge, its a mess.

Last edited:

Crash55

Reaction score
I just got my 2022 1500 and I have yet to have the weather work correctly. I keep getting the "error loading please try again later” message when I select it. It sounds like this is just a broken option and no way to fix it?

LV426

Reaction score
I just got my 2022 1500 and I have yet to have the weather work correctly. I keep getting the "error loading please try again later” message when I select it. It sounds like this is just a broken option and no way to fix it?
If you have a SXM account setup with the truck (which I assume you do) login and send a refresh signal (or you can call I suppose). That might clear the issue up.
Unless the UC5 is not associated with Sirius XM travel link anymore?

I'd be really surprised if this part of the infotainment system was still broken for the new UC5.

Crash55

Reaction score
If you have a SXM account setup with the truck (which I assume you do) login and send a refresh signal (or you can call I suppose). That might clear the issue up.
Unless the UC5 is not associated with Sirius XM travel link anymore?

I'd be really surprised if this part of the infotainment system was still broken for the new UC5.
I tried sending a reset signal and no change. I also noticed that there is no traffic shown on the map.

When looking at packages at Sirius XM it says that Infotainment packages are not supported on my truck.

LV426

Reaction score
I tried sending a reset signal and no change. I also noticed that there is no traffic shown on the map.

When looking at packages at Sirius XM it says that Infotainment packages are not supported on my truck.
Wow, I don't get it then. As I've stated a few times, the whole Uconnect-infotainment experience is a confusing mess with little to no help from them.

I guess someone with the new UC5 can chime in, I thought travel link still came with everything.

Users who are viewing this thread