5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uconnect 5 Software Will Be Coming To The 2022 Ram 1500 Lineup:

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
Interesting to see they didn't force the same 10" screen they've been using in the rest of the line-up into the RAM. My wife has it in her 2021 Pacifica. I love that screen size/layout. The 12" portrait screen in our RAMs is just about useless IMO - CarPlay/split-screen is just too small. I love the way the 12" looks from a hardware dash integration design perspective, but the 8.4" is nicer to use in practice.

Uconnect 5 has been fairly buggy for us so far despite a few OTA updates, mostly in the way of random reboots and phone connection drops. It is pretty fluid and overall the biggest upgrade Uconnect has had since the late 2000's. Hopefully they get the kinks ironed out. I pretty much guarantee we won't be getting Uconnect 5 on any trucks already on the road. That sort of thinng has just never happened before. That said, I am somewhat hopeful we will be able to swap the hardware and have a relatively simple plug & play upgrade to Uconnect 5, assuming the screens and connection interfaces stay exactly the same. This has worked for slight upgrades to Uconnect versions in years past, but we will have to see about Uconnect 5 since it's a pretty major change.
How is the car play/AA? Does it allow full screen for apps(I.e. Waze/google maps) or still restricted to 1/2 screen on your Pacifica?

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How is the car play/AA? Does it allow full screen for apps(I.e. Waze/google maps) or still restricted to 1/2 screen on your Pacifica?

Pretty sure the 10.1” doesn’t have split screen functionality

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
Pretty sure the 10.1” doesn’t have split screen functionality
I believe it actually is broke up into up to 4 sections like a table. It can be arranged how you want it. Haven’t seen it in person but from the article you can see how it’s broken up. Just not sure how the screen works so that was my question to him.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I believe it actually is broke up into up to 4 sections like a table. It can be arranged how you want it. Haven’t seen it in person but from the article you can see how it’s broken up. Just not sure how the screen works so that was my question to him.
Gotcha, just looked at 2021 Durango and sure enough it does have split screen. I see what you mean now

FD4ADE1E-5233-4337-92B9-7E31152C7EA7.jpeg

Cliffrunner88

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey all, Hemidakota asked this in the Order Tracking thread and I accidentally got just a bit carried away in my take on the improvements in the Uconnect system, so I copied it all below. I'd love to get your takes on the features and if you think I'm pretty spot on or way off base, in your opinion, on my opinions, lol.
Guess I don't know what the hype is all about with Ucon5
So here are the new things for Uconnect 5 and (at least my opinion) how "neat/relevant" they are:
1) Personalization (up to 5 different user profiles): Not really that important. I mean, who else is going to be driving your truck? haha
2) Personalized/customized home screen w/ cards: Meh. I'm sure the standard home screen layout is fine.
3) Better hardware for faster operating response time: I haven't had any previous Uconnects in my 2005 Mitsubishi Eclipse so I can't really speak to this, but if it's like a new cell phone upgrade every year where the device is "30% faster" or "6 times faster" or w/e...I'm sure I won't be able to tell the difference.
4) Alexa commands in the car or from the house to the car: This is actually pretty cool and something I wish I would get but it is certainly a convenience thing and not something that should make or break the truck purchase, right?
5) Wireless Apple Carplay and Android Auto: This is definitely something that would just make hoping in and driving "easier" rather than plugging your phone in, because that takes an extra 7.5 seconds from your morning/afternoon. But I've seen a whole thread dedicated to this dongle that plugs into the truck and when you get in it connects wirelessly to your phone, so correct me if I'm wrong here but the industry gave us a fix to this before Ram did for approximately $100.
6) Better voice recognition and microphone placement for rolling with the windows down...and the ever so deafening rain on the windshield(?): Again, first time getting into a new vehicle in 15 years, with the exception of my wife's 2015 Nissan Pathfinder, so someone else is going to have to tell me if the current 2021 voice recognition and microphone placement is detrimental to the point of non-usability. I will say though that the 2015 Pathfinder voice recognition was pretty terrible and we never even tried using it after the first 3 days, but to be fair, I think that was still before this technology was really all that improved.
6a) Wake up word for your truck "Hey Ram, change the temperature to 70 degrees": Ok ok, pretty neat and it keeps your hands on the wheel and your eyes on the road, or your knee under the wheel and your hands on your burger and fries but still. Although, I'll be more impressed when I see a list of what's capable with this feature. If all I can do is change the temperature, well, I smell a gimmick.
7) Connecting 2 phones via Bluetooth simultaneously: Is anyone wanting/needing this? I thought the rule was that the driver controls the radio...
8) Tom-Tom map and navigation: Wait, I thought we were getting Uconnect 5 for the wireless Apple Carplay and Android Auto so we could use our phones navigation? But boy that 3D map navigation sure did look cool. If only I lived somewhere that had buildings tall enough to make 3D...
9) Dynamic range to tell you how far you can get until your E really means E: Ok you got me here. This one is pretty freaking cool. If I took a lot of long trips to random places this would be sweet, but I pretty much have my set places of travel and I know how far I can go (and before y'all say anything, yes I will have to relearn this distance in the new truck). But generally, even if I'm just cruising down the road and not really paying attention, the little beep and the subsequent yellow gas light comes on in plenty of time for me to find a gas station...I haven't ran out yet.
10) Multi-lane guidance: Again, Google maps anyone? I would have to check but I think Apple maps does this now too.
11) The Uconnect Market in-vehicle commerce platform for ordering food and reserving tables: Just taking a poll here, how many people live in an area where this is even usable? I'm fairly small town and it's easier/quicker to just call on the phone to make a reservation than finding the restaurant in an app and searching for a table reservation just to find out they don't support that and then having to call anyway...but maybe all you big city slickers just wet your britches a little when you saw this feature, lucky you.
12) 4G LTE Wi-Fi hotspot: Only 4G?? This is a 5th gen Ram in 2022, 5G or bust people! The payments on this baby is going to be enough, I don't need another data plan for my truck, lol.
13) Over the air updates: For when they got it wrong on rollout! haha
14) Telematics Box Module: Are they saying this will eventually allow an over the air update that will allow my truck to drive itself? Could it be possible, maybe. Would they just throw this out there for free? I doubt it. I'm not sure it wouldn't need some more sensors or controls anyway. Besides, I'm pretty sure we're another 10 years out before self-driving cars are truly mainstream, and I'm willing to bet just about anyone reading this forum would rather drive their truck themselves than let a computer have all the fun.

I guess to sum it up, if I had to pick one feature to sell Uconnect 5 on, it'd be talking to Alexa when I get lonely in the truck by myself...

Ok guys, really sorry this turned out to be WAY longer for a response than I thought when I started, but that's my take on the improvements for the 2022 with regards to just Uconnect 5. I would really like anyone else's perspective in case I'm way off base or someone can convince me that Uconnect 5 is indeed worth its weight in gold and I just don't know it yet.
I also realize this is probably...definitely the wrong thread so I'll post this over in the Uconnect 5 thread also.

rossn2

Reaction score
The Uconnect 5 in the 1500 8.4 screen (Nav included)is available at about $500 over the old $795 cost...I just ordered a 2022 with it

Madtrucker03

Reaction score
Any insider info about when 2022 options/pricing will be announced?

My 2021 order could not be placed a couple weeks ago (missed the shutdown by 1 day).

Sales person said 2022 ordering showed up in her system last week but without pricing (others on here also
said same thing).
2022 I don't think it,s going to go well because of the chips,they will come faulty and their will be lines around the block for repairs. Hey just saying.

Ramajama

Reaction score
I’m very happy to see this! While all the 8.4 units I’ve had have been flawless with every feature working as it should, the 12” has been very disappointing to me. I can almost say I hate it. It has a high geewhiz factor but that’s it. The Navigation is a turd, it’s slow as molasses and the feature I have always valued ( travel link weather map) has never Worked. So uconnect 5 is a welcome addition.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
So I am sure this isnt the case but the end of the article makes it seem like UC5 will be a software upgrade for existing 12 and 8.4 radios. Otherwise not sure why forum members would be excited about it as most arent going to be upgrading to a 22 anytime soon.
Not a software upgrade...totally different operating system and platform. If you want a UC5, you will have to get a 2022.

Liquid Li0n

Reaction score
I wonder when we will see a review on youtube or here from a forummember that shows us Uconnect 5 on the 12" screen, cause it is really quite, even no coverage about it on the Chicago auto show...

ReLLIK75

Reaction score
I wonder if you can order a new head unit with UC5 and simply drop it in--like Infotainment is selling to upgrade from the 8" to the 12"? At this point, I'd rather spend $1200 for a new head unit than $70K for a new truck.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I wonder if you can order a new head unit with UC5 and simply drop it in--like Infotainment is selling to upgrade from the 8" to the 12"? At this point, I'd rather spend $1200 for a new head unit than $70K for a new truck.
I don't think you'll find a new U5 head unit for $1200.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think you'll find a new U5 head unit for $1200.
What makes you say that? Current UC5 radio modules and displays are priced the same as the UC4 items, which can be had for about $1200.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The hardest part will be converting the main radio connector in the current trucks to the two main radio connectors on the new modules. I can find the part numbers, but nobody supplies them.

ReLLIK75

Reaction score
The hardest part will be converting the main radio connector in the current trucks to the two main radio connectors on the new modules. I can find the part numbers, but nobody supplies them.
Hopefully, Infotainment or some other reseller will figure that part out and their "kit" will be plug n play. Otherwise, I'm sure some crafty member here in the forums will figure it out and post a step-by-step on how to make it all work. The big questions will be can you buy the head unit and can you get those connectors.

Boston

Reaction score
I can really the attraction of the 10 inch screen on the DD v the 8.4. It doesn't sound like much but the usefulness of the extra space is massive.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So who's going to be the first to try hardware swapping to a uConnect 4 truck? Full screen CarPlay seems worth it, if it works...

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So who's going to be the first to try hardware swapping to a uConnect 4 truck? Full screen CarPlay seems worth it, if it works...
I will be attempting the swap on my 2017 2500, which already has a 12” UC4 transplanted into it. I already have the conversion harness built, and I have the part numbers for the radio module and screen. Just waiting for them to become available to buy. I’m fairly confident it’ll work out.

Liquid Li0n

Reaction score
Will also full screen Android Auto work? or split screen use, for example Waze above and another app via Carplay/Android Auto below

Users who are viewing this thread