5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uconnect 5 Soft Reset/Reboot and Factory Reset Instructions

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
Everytime we start the truck, the screen is blank and I have to reset it. It is odd. The screen works for some features, but the main UI doesn't render. If I change the temperature with physical buttons, the change displays in the corner of the screen briefly (rest of the screen is black). Backup camera works on the top half of the screen with the rest being black.

Are you seeing these same issues? Or something different?
Oh man…. That’s way worse than what I’m experiencing. Mine simply is kicking me out of CarPlay or some phone calls and then won’t recognize my phone until I reset and repair the phone.

firedfly

Reaction score
Oh man…. That’s way worse than what I’m experiencing. Mine simply is kicking me out of CarPlay or some phone calls and then won’t recognize my phone until I reset and repair the phone.
False alarm. My issue was user error. Thanks to @AngelPhoenix I was able to fix my issue. There is a setting that will default the infotainment system to off when you start the truck. I apparently changed that when messing with settings and didn't realize what that option actually did.

This image is a bit hard to read. This is what it says:
Auto On Radio
Radio automatically turns on when vehicle is in run or will recall whether it was on or off at last ignition off.

My assumption was that this option would start playing a radio station when the truck was started. I definitely did not want THAT to happen every time I start the truck. So, I confidently set the option to OFF. Big mistake! This option actually controls the infotainment system (main 12" screen) and whether it should be on/off when the truck starts. Since I've changed this setting to ON, my issues have gone away. 🎉 🎉

1635859355464.png

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
False alarm. My issue was user error. Thanks to @AngelPhoenix I was able to fix my issue. There is a setting that will default the infotainment system to off when you start the truck. I apparently changed that when messing with settings and didn't realize what that option actually did.

My assumption was that this option would start playing a radio station when the truck was started. I definitely did not want THAT to happen every time I start the truck. So, I confidently set the option to OFF. Big mistake! This option actually controls the infotainment system (main 12" screen) and whether it should be on/off when the truck starts. Since I've changed this setting to ON, my issues have gone away. 🎉 🎉

View attachment 109787
Exact same scenario happened to me, I always hated how if my phone wasn't already connected (and therefore firing up Android Auto), the radio would come on when I started up. However, switching to "Off" did not exactly work out lol.

But I'm actually glad this option exists, because "Recall Last" is a nice go-between. Can occasionally think ahead like, "next time I start up, I want this off", so you turn it off before you get out.

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score

View attachment 109787
now mine is doing this….. I’ll play with the settings as you’ve described.

something new I’ve noticed, the directional arrows are backwards in the center display as what is showing on the main screen while using Apple CarPlay…. I thought it was a fluke the first time I saw but then I saw it again today. I’ll try to see if the system navigation does it but I doubt it.

Attachments

• 27295A3A-5880-4CEE-9428-6BE0CFA8F9F5.jpeg
    27295A3A-5880-4CEE-9428-6BE0CFA8F9F5.jpeg
    136.4 KB · Views: 49

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
now mine is doing this….. I’ll play with the settings as you’ve described.

something new I’ve noticed, the directional arrows are backwards in the center display as what is showing on the main screen while using Apple CarPlay…. I thought it was a fluke the first time I saw but then I saw it again today. I’ll try to see if the system navigation does it but I doubt it.
Well that's wacky lol.

Unrelated but I noticed from your sig that your build is pretty similar to mine; what's your payload at?

firedfly

Reaction score

At least you get turn-by-turn navigation from Apple CarPlay. That doesn't seem to be a feature available when using Android Auto. Though, I guess having directions that are wrong is actually worse than no directions at all :)

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sticker says 1142lbs….. that sound right ?
Yes, it does! Was curious cause at one point I was estimating that my payload would be at or slightly below 1200, but I ended up at 1268, a little better than I thought. You have the BUG, the Protection Group, and Level 1, all the rest is exactly the same between us.

So it's probably not Level 1 doing anything (maybe like 6-8lbs total between all the cameras and their wiring?), so it's the skid plates and the rails/bedstep. Gives me a much better idea of how much I might lose if I add any of those things. Thanks!!

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
Yes, it does! Was curious cause at one point I was estimating that my payload would be at or slightly below 1200, but I ended up at 1268, a little better than I thought. You have the BUG, the Protection Group, and Level 1, all the rest is exactly the same between us.

So it's probably not Level 1 doing anything (maybe like 6-8lbs total between all the cameras and their wiring?), so it's the skid plates and the rails/bedstep. Gives me a much better idea of how much I might lose if I add any of those things. Thanks!!
And I’ll tell you that from my previous truck that when I added the BUG and a few of the skid plates aftermarket, that stuff wasn’t light…. It’s got some heft to it. Let me know what yours is when you get it just out of curiosity.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And I’ll tell you that from my previous truck that when I added the BUG and a few of the skid plates aftermarket, that stuff wasn’t light…. It’s got some heft to it. Let me know what yours is when you get it just out of curiosity.

I have my truck, that's it in my profile pic! 😁

I was able to grab the payload via the VIN lookup a couple weeks ago and my sticker matches: 1268.

So, sticking with the idea that Level 1's impact is negligible, that's 126lbs between all the plates and the BUG, so it's probably about an even split weight-wise between the two.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I don't see an FCA options weight breakdown for the 2022 or 2021, but there is one for 2020 to give you an idea of what your options are adding to your weight (and subtracting from your payload):

Attachments

• Ram_LD_option weights_all.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 12

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
I have my truck, that's it in my profile pic! 😁

I was able to grab the payload via the VIN lookup a couple weeks ago and my sticker matches: 1268.

So, sticking with the idea that Level 1's impact is negligible, that's 126lbs between all the plates and the BUG, so it's probably about an even split weight-wise between the two.
Ahhhh got it, I misread your previous post thinking you were estimating it all…. Very interesting. To be honest though, I’ve never really paid attention to the payload stickers…😬, pretty much just stuff the truck to the gills and go drive. And its about to get worse as I’ve ordered some new tires and about to level it so that won’t help I’m sure. 😉🙄

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
At least you get turn-by-turn navigation from Apple CarPlay. That doesn't seem to be a feature available when using Android Auto. Though, I guess having directions that are wrong is actually worse than no directions at all :)
What are you talking about??? I use Google Maps or Waze all the time with my Android Auto. Are you saying your phone doesn't have navigation?

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What are you talking about??? I use Google Maps or Waze all the time with my Android Auto. Are you saying your phone doesn't have navigation?
I think he's referring to the nav showing the dash as well.

firedfly

Reaction score

I think he's referring to the nav showing the dash as well.

@ekaz is correct. I am referring to the turn by turn directions showing in the screen behind the steering wheel as opposed to just in the Android Auto UI. With the 2022 Ram 1500 / UConnect 5, Apple CarPlay is able to display turn by turn directions in this screen. Android Auto doesn't appear to be able to do that.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oh okay. I've never used the dashboard screen for navigation so I didn't know of its short comings regarding Android Auto.

flyingron

Reaction score
I have a 2020 RAM Limited with the 12" display. My GPS thinks it's about five miles east of where it is. The "internet" XM channels no longer work and neither does the WIFI hotspot. I've tried all the above magic incantations to reset the thing (none work). Any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread