5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uconnect 12 Issue - No Sound/Sirius Doesn't Load

Gort

Reaction score
@jabberwock - thanks for the reply and suggestion on having the dealer replace the radio.

@Gort - thanks for the info on how to get into the "dealer menu" for the radio! Very helpful. Attached is screenshot of my current radio info.

I called and spoke to the Service Manager at the dealership where I purchased my Longhorn. He suggested having the radio replaced.
He gave me a phone number (1-800-247-9753) for Chrysler Care and suggested calling them.

I called Chrysler Care and got a case open. The person I spoke to suggested telling the service department about Service Bulletin W33 which apparently is about a software update for the radio. They suggested contacting SiriusXM (1-888-539-7474) and requesting a refresh signal but for me it isn't just a Satellite radio issue.

In my case when the problem happens none of the radio functions (FM/AM/Satellite) work and CarPlay/Phone connections do not work. The navigation for whatever reason does. Then magically while driving down the road or after stop starting the truck it goes back to normal and works. So not sure how it is a hardware issue. To me it points to software.

But if getting the radio swapped out fixes it I'll be happy. Has been 10 months now dealing with this.

Have service scheduled for the truck on Monday and going to press them for replacing the radio.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.

@Lhboyd27 -- Finally got to check the versions on the replacement unit, and it does look like newer Software and Application versions.

Attachments

• 20210909_182306_1.jpg
    20210909_182306_1.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 37

Tellsch

Reaction score
Well, my theory of a bad jump drive is bunk. Had the problem again this morning.

It seems the only workaround is leaving FM on when you turn off the truck. Annoying.

I have version 20.04.19 and it seems like there are a multiple newer versions. Hopefully I get an update soon.

Gort

Reaction score
Well, my theory of a bad jump drive is bunk. Had the problem again this morning.

It seems the only workaround is leaving FM on when you turn off the truck. Annoying.

I have version 20.04.19 and it seems like there are a multiple newer versions. Hopefully I get an update soon.
Before the entire unit was replaced in my truck, I tried leaving it on AM, FM, USB1/2 -- anything except Sirius XM. I even set the startup defaults to whatever my choice of the week was. It did work partially, in that on startup, the unit didn't lock up on the "Loading SiriusXM" screen and I had audio from whatever non-SXM source was selected.

Problem was that when switching to SXM as a source, it would sometimes (but not always) *still* hang up on the "Loading" screen, and switching to another source resulted in the same no-audio symptoms as every other time.

To be objective about it, the ratio of lockups to starts was much lower than if leaving it on SXM. So it was a positive thing, but it still locked up and I wouldn't consider it a permanent solution.

Personally, I'm leaning toward it being a software issue, however FCA (or Stellantis, or whatever they're calling themselves now) seems to want to replace the entire unit to solve the problem. My replacement unit, however, certainly appears to have a lot of newer software versions than the original. The truck was only built in November of 2020, and I can't fathom having a warehouse full of year-old-firmware units in today's just-in-time manufacturing economy. In fact, I had to wait 4 months for the replacement unit to be available.

So replacing it may simply be the typical factory parts-cannon approach, or maybe there is a hardware problem. It's hard to tell from the limited observations I've been able to make.

Homesaylor

Reaction score
So this issue appears to be related to Sirius for me. If I leave the FM radio on when I shut my truck down, everything works fine when I start back up. If I leave the radio on Sirius, I’m seeing this issue about 25% of the time.

Today, I had the Sirius loading failure, restarted the truck with FM on and it was working fine. Then, I clicked on XM again and locked up the sound... couldn’t get FM to come back on again. So just the action of switching to XM recreated the issue.

For what it’s worth, I almost always use Pandora on XM. So maybe it has to do with the Pandora use and insufficient signal on startup? Ill try verify.

On a related note, is there any way to “reset” the radio if an error is encountered? Hitting the Power button very obviously does not completely power the unit off.
Nope I don't have Pandora or do I use it on my phone and I have same issues, identical. My truck purchased oct 2020, problem did not start until a few month ago around july. Seem ot be a Sirius/XM problem. Leave on FM before shutting off and it seems to fix. However, if you see the Sirius/XM button not lighting up that means it will do it again if you select it. Don't select it unless lit up. I suggest Ram folks figure out why Sirius loading is causing this and quickly. It seems to be very similar to all of us.

Homesaylor

Reaction score
My truck purchased Oct 2020, problem did not start until a few month ago around July 21. Seems to be a Sirius/XM problem. Leave on FM before shutting off and it seems to fix most times. However, if you see the Sirius/XM button not lighting up(border light around button) that means it will do it again if you select it. Don't select it unless lit up. I suggest Ram folks figure out why Sirius loading is causing this and quickly. It seems to be very similar to all of us. Safety issue with holding phones and no Bluetooth available!!! I have not tried battery disconnect yet, if that fixes this please let us all know.

Homesaylor

Reaction score
identical to mine, the part that pisses me off so bad is that for over 5000 miles i had zero issues with my truck and literally the day they did the stupid Radio OTA update my problems started With the radio.
Identical problem. Funny thing is, called them today at Uconnect/Mopar, etc. First question did you make a dealer appointment, second question how many miles you have, why. Why not ask what version I'm on, seems like a factor here with now problems for a year and then issues? They said we don't have a reset option on this version like the previous only the dealer can reset, really, a laptop type device with no restart function. We all have laptops and know all computers need this option from time to time, don't need a dealer with 2 months for an appointment reset option. Ridiculous! Update the software and push it out, don't load in new radios with that S/W if not needed and you know new S/W works, stupid!!!

Homesaylor

Reaction score
Would you care to share the detailed instructions from UConnect on performing the soft reset on the 12" HK system? The typical instructions for holding the Power/Tune or Phone/VR buttons for 30 seconds haven't effected a reset on my N3GL system.

Thanks in advance for anything you can share!
what is the procedure, I don't think one exist outside of a system connection at the dealer, if different let us know!

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you think it has something to do with LED light in the 3rd brake light fixture?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tellsch

Reaction score
I do not think so. I actually think it is something on the remote side of the communication (not the truck). I haven't had it happen since I last posted above and I haven't done anything different. I am not sure if there is some configuration pushes coming from the mother-ship, but I know the version of SW is the same. Really confusing.

Lhboyd27

Reaction score
An update on my issue. Dealership ran tests on my radio and antenna and didn't find any issues. Dealership agreed to replace the radio for me but is telling me the part is on back order. Has been about 3 weeks now and no update from the dealership on ETA for a replacement. I reached out to Chrysler care to see if they can move this along as my siriusxm trial subscription just expired (and I haven't been able to use it!). Also just reached my 1 year purchase anniversary for the vehicle and still dealing with this radio issue.

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For what it’s worth.. a lot are saying it’s happening in the free trial period and when you renew subscription the issue was fixed??..

stevept

Reaction score
For what it’s worth.. a lot are saying it’s happening in the free trial period and when you renew subscription the issue was fixed??..

I'm having the same XM stuck loading issue 2019 Ram Limited. I have an appt with the dealer on October 22nd. In the meantime, I took info from a previous post to click over to FM radio prior to shutting off the truck. This worked for me and a good solution until I get it looked at and fixed. Before shutting off the truck make sure you press the radio button and the truck will start with the FM radio on and you can then touch the XM button and all is good. At least for me. A great temporary fix

cwelect1

Reaction score
I have a 2020 RAM 1500 and this started when my wife started driving the car. I was going to bring her in to the dealer, but had 2nd thoughts.
Seriously though, we added her iPhone (via bluetooth and not as favorite) and whenever she starts the truck without my iPhone there (which is the favorite), we get the SiriusXM loading screen. When I start the truck with just my iPhone in range, it works fine. Will try the FM trick to see if that work around works for me.

stevept

Reaction score
An update on my 2019 Ram 1500 Limited with XM Loading freeze. Two trips to my dealer to troubleshoot. A replacement needed to be ordered. It sure sounds like it's not something that will get fixed with a hard reset and XM refresh. If you have the problem they will most likely replace the radio which is a Panasonic chip set

MyOutdoors

Reaction score
sitting at dealership right now with a 2022 warlock 1500 with 8.4 display...only 2 weeks old. lost xm last week now it seems when I remote start utilizing uconnect the radio goes haywire. Service manager told me I might be SOL and have to wait for an update....probably going to be arrested today!

pikemike

Reaction score
An update on my 2019 Ram 1500 Limited with XM Loading freeze. Two trips to my dealer to troubleshoot. A replacement needed to be ordered. It sure sounds like it's not something that will get fixed with a hard reset and XM refresh. If you have the problem they will most likely replace the radio which is a Panasonic chip set
Did the new radio fix it? I’ve got a 2020 1500 Longhorn and I just started having the XM loading and screen lock issue two weeks ago. I was told that a new radio won’t fix it and I need to wait for the OTA update and then once complete bring it in to the dealer for some final step. There hasn't been a lot of recent discussion on this thread, so I’m wondering where owners are at in dealing with this issue.

mwlapa

Reaction score
I am having the same issue. Happened out of nowhere.

Htex

Reaction score
I was having the same exact issue… radio frozen trying to load XM Radio. Would I freeze after a few restarts but kept freezing on start over and over again. So frustrating! I read on another post something about it happening to someone after adjusting their power seat memory. I had just taken my truck to the dealer and remembered that I had messed with the seat memory right before the issue started. It hadn’t happened before. Thus led me to believe that as unlikely as it sounded, the issues were related. I reset my seat memory and i haven’t had the issue since. It’s been a week with several starts daily and no issues!! Try messing with the power seat memory!!

Users who are viewing this thread