5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UAW to strike at midnight tonight at GM

Brianziggy64

Reaction score
Here’s an article about United Auto Workers (UAW) to strike at all GM plants at midnight tonight. Thus it will shutdown all production vehicles lines to include trucks. I posted the article from CNN because it mentions FCA and their unions. They state the average hourly worker makes $90K per year plus health and other benefits. If GM trucks start to get thin on the dealer lots, RAM and FORD might get a bump in sales.

Last edited:

StrangeGuy

Reaction score
90k dollars and complaining (y)
I think that it is maybe worse than that. I don't know who is correct but the article that I read yesterday had the average at $63.00 per hour. That would amount to $131k. The unions could be biting the hand that feeds them at this point. No wonder companies want to build plants outside of the country.

"On average, GM pays its factory workers $63 an hour, the highest of the Big Three automakers. Ford pays $61 an hour and Fiat Chrysler offers $55. Nonunion workers in the U.S. factories of foreign automakers earn an average $50 an hour. "

https://www.foxbusiness.com/industr...line-contract-negotiations-general-motors-uaw

AbitaPro

Reaction score
Here’s an article about United Auto Workers (UAW) to strike at all GM plants at midnight tonight. Thus it will shutdown all production vehicles lines to include trucks. I posted the article from CNN because it mentions FCA and their unions. They state the average hourly worker makes $90K per year plus health and other benefits. If GM trucks start to get thin on the dealer lots, RAM and FORD might get a bump in sales.

I’d strike too,if I had to build a 2020 2500HD with that awful front grill on it!

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Meanwhile, you got people severely under paid in many circles whom are working just as hard or harder in jobs that likely provide more benefit to society than simply constructing new automobiles. And PLENTY of IT folks who can only dream about 63 dollars an hour. Even 90k in IT is a stretch for a lot of folks. Of course it all depends on your age/experience and location and all that Jazz. But you can live comfortably in 99% of this country at 90k dollars, to scoff at that says something.

The only thing I see is that maybe they aren’t getting 40 hours? Based on the math you mentioned. But even then, as long as it’s not effecting their benefits then what’s the issue? Who doesn’t want to work less for a higher wage.

At the end of the day this is a low to medium skilled job, what do these people want?

Last edited:

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If they report like the railroads do the 90k including benefits is nowhere near what the wage is. But then someone said they make 63 bucks an hour...the benefits included would be way more than 90k, so something isn't jiving with those numbers.

And, with all the layoffs in the railroad now...maybe I should look at a job at Chrysler lol, especially if they are making 63 dollars an hour...the autoworkers get almost all their pay when lay offs come...we railroaders get 65 bucks a day.

GM has really been screwing with their workers...FCA has been doing well by their workers.

Read some of the stuff GM has been doing..you will understand more why they are striking. It isnt about the money.

StrangeGuy

Reaction score
Auto union dues tend to only funnel money to one particular party. Even with the Gov bailout, it seems to have been a money-laundering scheme from honest taxpayers to a particular party. I will need to think hard as to if I want to support this by purchasing from USA automaker. I think that we should be better than this and the auto workers are caught in the middle.

GraniteRam

Reaction score
The $63hr is a guesstimate with profit sharing and benefits figured in. There are tons of vehicles sitting at plants waiting to be shipped. They were stocking up on inventory to prepare for a strike so it wouldn't affect sales. Looks like that plan will backfire now that teamsters are honoring strike.

ac1dd

Reaction score
There are many reasons for the strike, I think one of them is that GM is still moving production out of the USA and has been for years now AFTER they received their gov't bailout which was based on the fact it would keep jobs at GM here in the USA. This isn't about employee wage money so much.

I say if GM doesn't adhere to the original bailout agreement that provided them with their cash to survive they should pay a huge penalty. But it would be better just to keep the jobs here in the USA.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
UAW has been the Achilles heal of the auto industry forever. Guys working for 20 years in a plant and retiring with a $80,000 a year pension? C’mon! They are also part of the reason the damn trucks cost as much as they do, I don’t for the life of me understand how the manufacturers can afford to pay wages and pensions plus benefits for these thieves FOREVER, unless of course they keep raising the prices of the vehicles! I wish they could dump them and hire non union workers!

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Union members pay into their pension. And it isn't forever. Alot of guys pass away with never even getting to their first one.

Sure, hirer non union workers. Then all the plants would be in other countries, and the cost of your truck would be even more with less reason.

The reason why trucks are so expensive is because many guys are willing to pay it.

Look at the roll out of the new RAM. Who did they go after...the guys who will buy the limited and laramie longhorn. Because that raises their average selling price...which is exactly what they wanted.

And since you want non union workers...you will be glad to know one of the things GM is doing that is part of the strike reason is because they keep people in temporary positions for so long. So an average worker makes 19 to 31 bucks...they love to lump in non agreement in their averages the papers report...but the temps only make 15...even when they do the skilled work of the 31 dollar job.

I have been on both sides...you know what, the company does not care...aside from the union corruption...which is above the worker...the union is the only hope.

But, let's do away with them. Sounds good, my union does take too much away from me, ha, look at all the concessions these workers made for the company...they continue to take and are not giving back.

thebluegoat

Reaction score
UAW has been the Achilles heal of the auto industry forever. Guys working for 20 years in a plant and retiring with a $80,000 a year pension? C’mon! They are also part of the reason the damn trucks cost as much as they do, I don’t for the life of me understand how the manufacturers can afford to pay wages and pensions plus benefits for these thieves FOREVER, unless of course they keep raising the prices of the vehicles! I wish they could dump them and hire non union workers!
I don’t know about the states but up here in Canada you have to work 30 years to collect a pension. 3500 a month is our pension. I don’t know how you can blame auto workers for the price of the vehicle. The Ram HDs are made in Mexico they aren’t any cheaper. Our plant builds the Equinox in Canada and we used to build the GMC Terrain before it moved to Mexico. Is it cheaper to buy now that it’s in Mexico?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t know about the states but up here in Canada you have to work 30 years to collect a pension. 3500 a month is our pension. I don’t know how you can blame auto workers for the price of the vehicle. The Ram HDs are made in Mexico they aren’t any cheaper. Our plant builds the Equinox in Canada and we used to build the GMC Terrain before it moved to Mexico. Is it cheaper to buy now that it’s in Mexico?
Thank you. I was going to say it was 30, but I didn't know, I am just a lowly railroaded being screwed by our company right now.

The papers list our compensation as 140k a year. Our yearly salary is 66k and after we pay for our pension and taxes our take home is about 36k.

They tried to say they were making 63 bucks an hour. A wiki search says 19 to 31...which is about the progression on the railroad from laborer to skilled craft.

But they are paying temps 15 all while making them work skilled jobs...yeah...that is an issue.

Believe me unions need an overhaul...but as stated...the union is not why your truck costs so much...the popularity and the people buying them is.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I’m not blaming the workers, they just want their jobs, I’m blaming UAW that has drain the life blood from the auto manufacturers for decades and no matter what it’s never enough. $60 an hr for working in an auto plant???? Are you kidding me....We the tax payers bailed GM out in 09 and the best thing that could have happened then was in filing bankruptcy to have dumped UAW to the curb! It’s really become a joke!

thebluegoat

Reaction score
I’m not blaming the workers, they just want their jobs, I’m blaming UAW that has drain the life blood from the auto manufacturers for decades and no matter what it’s never enough. $60 an hr for working in an auto plant???? Are you kidding me....We the tax payers bailed GM out in 09 and the best thing that could have happened then was in filing bankruptcy to have dumped UAW to the curb! It’s really become a joke!
That 60 dollars an hour is total compensation including benefits. I am confident the hourly pay rate ranges from 15 an hour for temps to 30 for full time employees.

thebluegoat

Reaction score
Thank you. I was going to say it was 30, but I didn't know, I am just a lowly railroaded being screwed by our company right now.

The papers list our compensation as 140k a year. Our yearly salary is 66k and after we pay for our pension and taxes our take home is about 36k.

They tried to say they were making 63 bucks an hour. A wiki search says 19 to 31...which is about the progression on the railroad from laborer to skilled craft.

But they are paying temps 15 all while making them work skilled jobs...yeah...that is an issue.

Believe me unions need an overhaul...but as stated...the union is not why your truck costs so much...the popularity and the people buying them is.
At our plants in Canada we have a 10 year wage progression where it takes us 10 years to reach full rate of pay. We also no longer have Defined Benefit pensions for new hires. All our pensions are Defined Contribution that are stock market based.

RJS

Reaction score
That 60 dollars an hour is total compensation including benefits. I am confident the hourly pay rate ranges from 15 an hour for temps to 30 for full time employees.
Of course it includes benefits. Take a minute and see what the coverage would cost the average employee if they had to pay for it out of their pocket. It costs the company money and it's a huge benefit.

Users who are viewing this thread