5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two general questions

Jdru66

Reaction score
I picked up my new ram 1500 Friday and I love it. Can anyone tell me what the electronic thing in the picture is? There is one on both the driver and passenger side.

Second what is the purpose of so many holes on the side of the bed? It seems like if you had topsoil in there a good bit would be falling through them on the sides. I know some are for the cargo rails. E5CCDF33-D15E-4FB6-845D-02120F4B3312.png

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
That's a noise cancelling device. I forget the proper name. Supposedly, it generates a frequency that is opposite to what your truck is making and cancels it out. That's what all those speakers in the ceiling are-- microphones for that.

I haven't noticed a lot of holes, but I have the cargo rails and the spray-in bedliner.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's a noise cancelling device. I forget the proper name. Supposedly, it generates a frequency that is opposite to what your truck is making and cancels it out. That's what all those speakers in the ceiling are-- microphones for that.

Close but not quite. They are anti vibration modules for when the truck goes into cylinder deactivation mode.

Somewhere in the 2:30 minute mark:

Rick J

Reaction score
Close but not quite. They are anti vibration modules for when the truck goes into cylinder deactivation mode.

Not saying you're wrong. I don't have any idea what they are. But, the picture the OP posted doesn't look like the ATTM modules in the video.

Attachments

• ATTM.JPG
    ATTM.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 199

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not saying you're wrong. I don't have any idea what they are. But, the picture the OP posted doesn't look like the ATTM modules in the video.
Often production parts look different from developmental prototypes or display versions.

deanfx

Reaction score
Some holes in the bed are for bed lights. Some are for the bed utility rail system. And there are even more for some tie downs that come on some models. No shortage of holes to spend money for crap to stick in them.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I’d give him credit. The active tuned mass modules are a form of noise cancelling, since all noise is vibration ;)

Jdru66

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Hopefully the electronics last awhile. When I put my running boards on I saw those and I was like those look expensive to replace when they break lol. As for the bed holes, when I get it sprayed I’ll ask them to plug them.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Look at the bracket, look at the design of the top of both parts. One is covered in a smooth can, vs the production part in the OP’s first post. They are the same. Of course sir, you are allowed to think whatever you wish.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FROM THE 2019 DT SERVICE MANUAL:
08 - Electrical / 8E - Electronic Control Modules / MODULE, Active Vibration Cancellation (AVCM) / Description

DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION
DESCRIPTION

The Active Vibration Cancelation (AVC) system consists of the following components:

Component Index
OPERATION

The AVC system consists of two electronic actuators, two electronic sensors and the AVC controller. The AVC actuators produce anti-vibrations to reduce Multi-Displacement System (MDS) vibrations above 1,300 Revolutions Per Minute (RPM). MDS is the “4 cylinder mode” for the 5.7L V8 engine. The AVC system is a key enabler for expanding the MDS operating range to improve vehicle performance and fuel economy. The AVC actuators function to minimize vibrations on the vehicle’s frame at the frequency the engine is operating/running. The system works similar to Active Noise Cancelation (ANC). ANC operates on audible noise. AVC operates on vehicle frame vibrations.

The AVC system is designed to improve the Noise Vibration Harshness (NVH) performance of the vehicle by reducing the vibrations received from the frame. The AVC actuator generates an equal signal in the opposite direction from the input vibrations received from the left and right correction sensors. This generated signal is sent to the left and right actuators mounted on the frame that reduce the vibrations in the frame.

AVC Module
The AVC module is mounted under the hood to the bulkhead on the driver side near the brake booster away from heat sources. The AVC module will operate the AVC actuators when the engine is in MDS operation mode as triggered by Controller Area Network - Chassis (CAN-C) message. The AVC module receives engine RPM as an input from CAN-C and a dedicated hard wired crank signal. The AVC module will adjust its output (frequency, phase, and amplitude) based upon the inputs. A software algorithm uses engine characteristics and vibration sensed by accelerometer to generate an output for actuators to produce the anti-vibrations.

CAN-C Inputs
  • Commanded ignition switch status
  • Engine RPM
  • Vehicle Speed
  • Odometer
  • MDS active signal
  • Vehicle configuration data for wheelbase length
  • Vehicle drive configuration
CAN-C Outputs
  • AVC failure display request to the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC)
Hardwire Inputs
  • Crank pulse signal
  • Left AVC sensor signal
  • Right AVC sensor signal
Hardwire Outputs
  • Left AVC actuator operation
  • Right AVC actuator operation
  • Crank pulse signal to the ANC system

AVC Sensor/Actuator Assembly
The AVC sensor is attached to the AVC actuator mounting bracket and is not service separately from the actuator. The AVC actuator assemblies are mounted to the left and right sides of the vehicle frame behind the A-Pillars, under the driver and passenger door. The actuators produce anti-vibrations to reduce MDS vibrations between 1300 – 2300 RPM and are capable of an output of 90 N (20 Lbf) of force.

Hardwire Inputs
  • Left AVC actuator operation request
  • Right AVC actuator operation request
Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram DT 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 022440 miles.

Erikh

Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea where my missing AVC module harness connector might be hidding?

Attachments

• BEC3F2F7-14C1-4146-B9FC-9D296927A78C.jpeg
    BEC3F2F7-14C1-4146-B9FC-9D296927A78C.jpeg
    137.3 KB · Views: 118
  • AC9E2E37-7CCD-4C90-B565-68D67F4F0E3E.jpeg
    AC9E2E37-7CCD-4C90-B565-68D67F4F0E3E.jpeg
    177.1 KB · Views: 115

Erikh

Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea where my missing AVC module harness connector might be hidding?
Picture from the salesman from another similarly equipped vehicle.

Attachments

• E897E9D4-9A6D-4344-97C3-8891A1896AF0.jpeg
    E897E9D4-9A6D-4344-97C3-8891A1896AF0.jpeg
    111.4 KB · Views: 134

HemiDude

Reaction score
Here's a pic of mine. The connector is only about 4" from the rest of the harness, so it can't be far. Although, the dust in your module makes it appear that it hasn't been connected for a while. Have you been experiencing any issues?

93A0AD21-2D58-443B-987D-47FED46E9688.jpeg 6971E97B-5BA2-4460-BF75-4C6FC5CC5ACF.jpeg

Erikh

Reaction score
New vehicle delivery… also had a vacuum line not fully attached at the canister. I get a service ESC warning ever time I drive the truck.

Attachments

• 85B3AFE8-5569-4EFC-900A-0643362AC0B0.jpeg
    85B3AFE8-5569-4EFC-900A-0643362AC0B0.jpeg
    129.5 KB · Views: 96

HemiDude

Reaction score
New vehicle delivery… also had a vacuum line not fully attached at the canister. I get a service ESC warning ever time I drive the truck.
Wow, talk about poor dealer prep!

HemiDude

Reaction score
I used two of the holes to route drain tubes from my Bakflip tonneau cover.
Same here. I guess if the OP puts rubber plugs in all the holes, he can always remove any later on that he sees a need for

jsones

Reaction score
Hey Guys, Long time lurker around here but just signed up to actually post.
First off, sorry to dig up an old thread...

I have been researching what may be causing my ANC system to not work, i get hella road noise in my 2022 Laramie.
Found my AVC module harness connector is also disconnected, and there's no connector hanging off any harness anywhere near it that may be plugged into it.

@Erikh did you ever find your connector? I'm assuming there should still be one on the 22's.

jsones

Reaction score
Update:

Nevermind, took it to the dealer and compared it to other trucks, they are all connected to the wiring harness.
Tech said if that's not connected, the noise cancelling system wont be enabled, they opened a star case to look into why its missing from the wiring harness.

Users who are viewing this thread