5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Twin-Turbo 3.0-liter (Hurricane) Inline-Six-Cylinder (H.O.) Engine - Specifications!

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I like that more now.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’ll admit I was real critical of this initially but watching that video gives me a much better appreciation for that motor. Just glad I won’t be in the truck market for another 4-5 years. By then the bugs will be worked out and I’ll have a much better idea if it’s something I would even consider.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mid/high octane only, same MPG as the current offering in the real world, and more sophisticated (complicated) design?

I think I'll pass....

Last edited:

Chrysler Factory Warranty

Mopar Vehicle Protection
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I'm excited to see this. Good or bad it will be interesting! I wish they would put this in the Gladiator for 2023.

Phoon

Reaction score
Mid/high octane only, same MPG as the current offering in the real world, and more sophisticated (complicated) design?

I think I'll pass....
Same octane recommendation as the equivalent hemi and close to 10% better economy with no e-torque. Also lighter weight and will have a way wider torque curve which means more power where you use it, especially with the shorter standard axle ratio. We don't know the real world mileage of this motor yet so I don't know where you are getting that info from. The hemi is a great motor but is down on power compared to the competition now, if we can get a lighter, more powerful, more efficient option then count me in! Its not like a hemi is as simple as an old small block, they still have VVT, DOD etc. as well as e-torque on the Wagoneer and lots of the rams.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same octane recommendation as the equivalent hemi and close to 10% better economy with no e-torque. Also lighter weight and will have a way wider torque curve which means more power where you use it, especially with the shorter standard axle ratio. We don't know the real world mileage of this motor yet so I don't know where you are getting that info from. The hemi is a great motor but is down on power compared to the competition now, if we can get a lighter, more powerful, more efficient option then count me in! Its not like a hemi is as simple as an old small block, they still have VVT, DOD etc. as well as e-torque on the Wagoneer and lots of the rams.

EPA rated it 14/20 and 17 on the combined cycle. I'm pretty sure the 5.7 Hemi in the Rams is rated 19 with eTorque, right? At $5.00 gallon those 2 MPG are substantial.

Let's also remember that a smaller engine has to have more compression to produce the same power as larger engines, so by their very design they won't have the longevity of a larger engine.

Why does the HO get a 400# lower tow rating?

Added weight?

Rebel2022

Reaction score
EPA rated it 14/20 and 17 on the combined cycle. I'm pretty sure the 5.7 Hemi in the Rams is rated 19 with eTorque, right? At $5.00 gallon those 2 MPG are substantial.

Let's also remember that a smaller engine has to have more compression to produce the same power as larger engines, so by their very design they won't have the longevity of a larger engine.

Added weight?
Hurricane SO 10.4:1
Hurricane HO 9.5:1
Hemi 2009-up 10.5:1

I think because of the turbos lower compression actually produces more power than the Hemi does and it has higher compression.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I think because of the turbos lower compression actually produces more power than the Hemi does and it has higher compression.
Yep - lower compression to optimize performance with forced induction.

In my opinion, an engine’s longevity is directly related to the quality of its design and production, not necessarily its specific output (except in extreme cases).

I remember my 1st-gen (BMW) MINI had a bottom end that was good for 40+ psi without modification. That’s a lot, and those were popular engines for “twincharging” as a result.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Added weight?

I wondered if it was added weight, but could it really weigh that much more than the hemi?

Phoon

Reaction score
I wondered if it was added weight, but could it really weigh that much more than the hemi?
The HO tow rating is probably lower than the standard because it is only available on the Grand Wagoneer. The Grand is likely heavier and tuned for comfortable ride rather than max towing. Both of the new hurricane options are 100LBS or more lighter than a comparable Hemi.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Now add the 20+ PSI of air pressure for total compression. That's what I meant. You've got to push a lot more air through the Hurricane to get those power numbers.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why does the HO get a 400# lower tow rating?
Good question. The engine is significantly lighter than the Hemi's. So why would they drop tow ratings? Maybe they reduced braking or a frame/suspension component?

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting. I see some good features, and some very good features.

But then something caught my eye (edited for brevity).
cast-aluminum block with <snip> plasma spray-bore coated cylinders.
Does that mean what I think it does? Aluminum cylinders?
So I infer that this block cannot be bored or rebuilt (unless you happen to have a plasma bore coating booth lying around). Hmmm...

And I was hoping for a better integrated hybrid system, maybe with a chain drive instead of the wimpy belt band-aid used on e-torque. But the alleged hybrid version of the engine is, what, cancelled? Hmmm...

And it sounds like Stellantis might be planning this to be a replacement for all the Hemi's. Hmmm...

I think the resale value of my normally aspirated 5.7 might be going up.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The CEO of Stellantis stated earlier that the Hurricane will not be replacing any engines in the 1500, but augmenting them. He said the Hemi is too popular to remove anytime soon, how long that will be, who knows.

But there will be both the 5.7L option and 3.0LTT options in the 1500 RAM class.

It's quite a bit more powerful and a little bit more efficient, but Stellantis's issues isn't with CARB, but with the CO2 output, which is quite a bit better than the old 5.7L Hemi. Even if only 2 mpg, their CO2 improvement is what they want along with the fact the engine was designed for future hybridation.

I honestly wouldn't mind a straight six twin turbo, especially one that outpowers the 6.4L while still getting better mpg. My only issue is the sound it produces, one of the big reasons why I went with my truck is I love that Hemi sound.

Users who are viewing this thread