5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Twin-Turbo 3.0-liter (Hurricane) Inline-Six-Cylinder (H.O.) Engine - Specifications!

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep - lower compression to optimize performance with forced induction.

In my opinion, an engine’s longevity is directly related to the quality of its design and production, not necessarily its specific output (except in extreme cases).

I remember my 1st-gen (BMW) MINI had a bottom end that was good for 40+ psi without modification. That’s a lot, and those were popular engines for “twincharging” as a result.
Lower compression on FI is also protective. If you lean out for any reason, a high compression will ensure detonation. Lower compression gives you some headroom literally to sense knock and pull timing and enrich fuel before the rings or valves get ejected.

Phoon

Reaction score
Lower compression on FI is also protective. If you lean out for any reason, a high compression will ensure detonation. Lower compression gives you some headroom literally to sense knock and pull timing and enrich fuel before the rings or valves get ejected.
Some might not be excited by the small displacement, but you can't argue with the numbers!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Some might not be excited by the small displacement, but you can't argue with the numbers!
I'm sure if they downshifted to get RPMs up before they did the passing testez the numbers would be different. Gotta get those turbos spooling to get the benefit of them. Which is why they had better acceleration with 3500 RPM launches. If they just launched off idle, it would probably be a different story

Phoon

Reaction score
I'm sure if they downshifted to get RPMs up before they did the passing testez the numbers would be different. Gotta get those turbos spooling to get the benefit of them. Which is why they had better acceleration with 3500 RPM launches. If they just launched off idle, it would probably be a different story
The 3.0 probably pulls like a freight train at half throttle as well, the torque curve is massive so its unlikely that you will need to pin it all the way in normal use.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After having a Plug-in Pacifica for a year now I would love to see a 2024 ram 1500 PHEV with this engine and a decent size battery - might make me trade my truck in at lease end rather than keeping it but I am also hoping for the EV with the REPB...

Runagun

Reaction score
After having a Plug-in Pacifica for a year now I would love to see a 2024 ram 1500 PHEV with this engine and a decent size battery - might make me trade my truck in at lease end rather than keeping it but I am also hoping for the EV with the REPB...
I too have a '21 Pacifica hybrid and '21 ram and feel the same as you.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I too have a '21 Pacifica hybrid and '21 ram and feel the same as you.

I was talking to a technician from a dealership while on some off-road Jeep trails last summer. We started talking about the Jeep 4xe and then convo turned to a case they had at the dealership where a woman had a Pacifica towed to the dealer with a bad battery. He said the repair was over $20k and warranty wouldn't cover it because corporate blamed it on faulty charge input from her household setup. She had no money to cover that out of pocket, so eventually her insurance company totaled the vehicle.

A total loss, with a huge hit to her policy, over a battery.

I *may* buy a PHEV or possibly a BEV one day but I will NEVER get rid of my ICE pickup truck. Not taking any chances.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was talking to a technician from a dealership while on some off-road Jeep trails last summer. We started talking about the Jeep 4xe and then convo turned to a case they had at the dealership where a woman had a Pacifica towed to the dealer with a bad battery. He said the repair was over $20k and warranty wouldn't cover it because corporate blamed it on faulty charge input from her household setup. She had no money to cover that out of pocket, so eventually her insurance company totaled the vehicle.

I *may* buy a PHEV or possibly a BEV one day but I will NEVER get rid of my ICE pickup truck. Not taking any chances.
My home charger was installed by a licensed professional electrician to code and the battery pack is covered by a 10 year/150,000 warranty so I am not too worried. If the woman he was talking about had a properly installed charger she should get a lawyer. Same thing could happen if you used bad or wrong fluids in a gas/diesel engine and caused damage I would guess. Manufacturers always look for ways to void warranty coverage on big repairs so you have to know your rights.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score

The vehicle controls the charging. It won't even start charging until it tests the voltages. There's no way a charger could hurt the car unless it ( the house or charger electrical supply ) was struck by lightning or something else that no one could do anything about.

There's precisely nothing you can do to avert damage from a direct lightning strike. Better grounds simply make you a better target as lightning does most of it's damage from reversing the ground and making the ground have a higher voltage potential than the mains voltage and the current all go backwards at millions of amps. It's like trying to throw a 5 gallon bucket or a swimming pool into a thimble in one go, it just goes absolutely everywhere and take every possible path anything in the way is dead.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score

That story sounds a bit odd. I suspect some details were missed in the retelling. The most likely way to hurt it with the "charging input" is to leave it chronically depleted. That might happen if you habitually drive until it complains and plug in just long enough to silence the alerts. Or maybe the charger was wired to the garage's light switch(?)

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That story sounds a bit odd. I suspect some details were missed in the retelling. The most likely way to hurt it with the "charging input" is to leave it chronically depleted. That might happen if you habitually drive until it complains and plug in just long enough to silence the alerts. Or maybe the charger was wired to the garage's light switch(?)
You can't leave a plug-in hybrid in a depleted state unless you never drive it as driving the vehicle with a depleted battery will charge the battery using the engine and at least in the pacifica this is all automatic and there is no override available. The battery is also managed to always stay above a certain minimum charge so for example if my battery shows 0 charge remaining I can only add about 13kwh to the 16kwh battery. In the end the techs story seems to need additional context for sure!

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can't leave a plug-in hybrid in a depleted state unless you never drive it as driving the vehicle with a depleted battery will charge the battery using the engine and at least in the pacifica this is all automatic and there is no override available. The battery is also managed to always stay above a certain minimum charge so for example if my battery shows 0 charge remaining I can only add about 13kwh to the 16kwh battery. In the end the techs story seems to need additional context for sure!
That seems to make sense. :unsure: What happens if you use up all the gasoline, can you keep driving? They did say it had to be towed in...

Boston

Reaction score
The 3.0 probably pulls like a freight train at half throttle as well, the torque curve is massive so its unlikely that you will need to pin it all the way in normal use.
Wifey has a 3.0 straight six Turbo in her Volvo. Even with just 300hp pulling 4200lbs, its a very strong engine. So this new powerplant sounds superb.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Wifey has a 3.0 straight six Turbo in her Volvo. Even with just 300hp pulling 4200lbs, its a very strong engine. So this new powerplant sounds superb.
I've got 2002 S60 T5. Inline 5. Fun little car

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The fact that it’ll move out nicely is about the only thing we all know for sure and can agree on.

So many other questions remain…

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Seeig the short life of every other turbo engine out there, especially direct injected engines, and the fact these will have aluminum bores, with a sprayed on coating, I wouldn't trust buying one for at least 8 or ten years.

BigDave

Reaction score
Interesting. I see some good features, and some very good features.

But then something caught my eye (edited for brevity).
cast-aluminum block with <snip> plasma spray-bore coated cylinders.
Does that mean what I think it does? Aluminum cylinders?
So I infer that this block cannot be bored or rebuilt (unless you happen to have a plasma bore coating booth lying around). Hmmm...

And I was hoping for a better integrated hybrid system, maybe with a chain drive instead of the wimpy belt band-aid used on e-torque. But the alleged hybrid version of the engine is, what, cancelled? Hmmm...

And it sounds like Stellantis might be planning this to be a replacement for all the Hemi's. Hmmm...

I think the resale value of my normally aspirated 5.7 might be going up.
I read somewhere that this new bore tech went through durability testing and still had the cross hatching, and no lip, after a lot of miles. I get the feeling the Bores will last a really, really long time.

Phoon

Reaction score
I read somewhere that this new bore tech went through durability testing and still had the cross hatching, and no lip, after a lot of miles. I get the feeling the Bores will last a really, really long time.
Also, no one is boring out an engine and putting 40 over pistons in it anymore. This isn't a small block chevy from decades ago. When a hemi wears out off warranty it is way cheaper to buy a good junk yard motor from one of the millions of rams around and swap it in than it is to do a full rebuild. The same will apply to the hurricane if they use it in the ram.

Users who are viewing this thread