5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Twin-Turbo 3.0-liter (Hurricane) Inline-Six-Cylinder (H.O.) Engine - Specifications!

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Maaan it's not for me.
Small displacement gas turbos in a fullsize truck isn't my format.

I gotta say I'm very concerned for the Stellantis brands.
No hemi in the charger/challenger?
The charger is one thing but if there's no V8 in the challenger platform, yikes.

I don't know if they understand that the "old"/"heavy" challenger platform basically exists on the back of horsepower and tradition.
The guys, the rebels who buy those cars are holdouts.
They are not a Ford Taurus SHO buyer, they're not a Tesla buyer.
If forced to buy a new car in the future, I honestly believe they're more likely to go to a Ford Mustang with a V8 in that platform, than they are to buy an E-VEE or i6 turbo challenger.

I have my concerns. I know in 2022 a lot of people aren't "car people", and the subarus and the toyota going to an ecoboost-style and all that I know I know.
In terms of the *Dodge challenger* buyer, I really believe those guys are the hold outs, and if the corporate knuckleheads at Stellantis really believe THOSE people in the market will simply buy it because it says Dodge, they are, IMHO dramatically over-estimating their brand loyalty.

A brand is a promise. A promise that the maker has to live up to, a 2 way street.
If they stop living up to that promise, the buyer's loyalty goes with it.

TLDR: Netherlands based Euro-company doesn't understand (or care about?) one of the buyers of its products, is slated to make VERY risky move
That’s pretty much how I felt when Mitsubishi said they were going to make the Evolution a hybrid. They ended up just killing it, but I still felt betrayed. I loved my ‘08 Evolution.

Rebel2022

Reaction score
I don’t think its been said anywhere that the Hemi is going away, sure the i6 might be optional in the Ram, Challenger, Charger etc but the Hemi will still be there same as the 5.0 in the Mustang and F150 even though the EB is also available. In fact Ford is bringing back a V8 option in the new Raptor R F150.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t think its been said anywhere that the Hemi is going away, sure the i6 might be optional in the Ram, Challenger, Charger etc but the Hemi will still be there same as the 5.0 in the Mustang and F150 even though the EB is also available. In fact Ford is bringing back a V8 option in the new Raptor R F150.
I hope a version of that v8 goes into the regular raptor one day.

Reverse

Reaction score
The thing that most concerns me is the Direct Injection. Plenty of history on how that will result in carbon buildup on your valves which are no longer 'cleaned' by fuel. Most tips on how to prevent the carbon buildup involve much more regular maintenance than you'd do on a hemi (or current V-6)

2jzDave

Reaction score
Maaan it's not for me.
Small displacement gas turbos in a fullsize truck isn't my format.

I gotta say I'm very concerned for the Stellantis brands.
No hemi in the charger/challenger?
The charger is one thing but if there's no V8 in the challenger platform, yikes.

I don't know if they understand that the "old"/"heavy" challenger platform basically exists on the back of horsepower and tradition.
The guys, the rebels who buy those cars are holdouts.
They are not a Ford Taurus SHO buyer, they're not a Tesla buyer.
If forced to buy a new car in the future, I honestly believe they're more likely to go to a Ford Mustang with a V8 in that platform, than they are to buy an E-VEE or i6 turbo challenger.

I have my concerns. I know in 2022 a lot of people aren't "car people", and the subarus and the toyota going to an ecoboost-style and all that I know I know.
In terms of the *Dodge challenger* buyer, I really believe those guys are the hold outs, and if the corporate knuckleheads at Stellantis really believe THOSE people in the market will simply buy it because it says Dodge, they are, IMHO dramatically over-estimating their brand loyalty.

A brand is a promise. A promise that the maker has to live up to, a 2 way street.
If they stop living up to that promise, the buyer's loyalty goes with it.

TLDR: Netherlands based Euro-company doesn't understand (or care about?) one of the buyers of its products, is slated to make VERY risky move

I'm glad they are still coming out with a new gas engine in a sea of electric. Unfortunately it's all government regulations that is pushing the i6. The mpg is not much different than what you'd see from the hemi in these bigger vehicles, but the big difference is how much cleaner the i6 is emissions-wise which allows them to continue production of these large vehicles while still meeting the very strict emissions requirements.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yup, very true, not that much better mpg, but the difference in hp and especially torque is quite significant, even compared to the Standard Output 3.0L motor.

My only real issue is the sound and the long-term durability versus a naturally aspirated V8.

I thought these motors would spearhead the all-new next gen Charger/Challenger, but I recently read they are going full EV.

2jzDave

Reaction score
I thought these motors would spearhead the all-new next gen Charger/Challenger, but I recently read they are going full

Don't believe everything you read on the internet 😉

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

So, what's the truth, can you share with the class :)

Should I considering buying a Charger now before they go EV, or will I still be able to get an ICE motor one in the future on a new platform.

2jzDave

Reaction score
So, what's the truth, can you share with the class :)

Should I considering buying a Charger now before they go EV, or will I still be able to get an ICE motor one in the future on a new platform.
I wish I could share with the class, but unfortunately my secrets pay the bills 😁

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You have to remember that Dodge and Ram have been under European ownership since 2014. (FCA). Everyone was terrified that it would be the end of iconic American performance but some of the best muscle cars jeeps and trucks were developed since that merger. The world is a changing place, and dodge can't just stuff hellcats in the same cars for ever and expect to succeed. I for one am hopeful about the future of the company. They are not jumping on the all electric bandwagon, and these new motors should be a great way to keep gas burners alive. Can't wait to see this new motor in the Ram 1500 and hopefully a gladiator mojave.

Sergio Marchionne, I wonder what heights he could have taken those companies too if he was still alive. 😪
The products he brought to market during his time, brought me to the Ram brand.
IMHO we got the hellcats and the like because he and the company DID understand their buyers.
The Hellcats and V8s aren't going away because consumers don't want them.
Oh no. It's not a consumer demand thing.
They're going because of government regulations.

We're going to save the planet by using coal to power lithium, and by drilling oil somewhere else for more money, and by paying higher taxes and driving more expensive vehicles. Stunning and Brave. 🤡

I think a 3.0L engine as a CHOICE for consumers is neat for those who want them.
I think the Gladiator is a fantastic platform for that engine - my goodness that would probably be my choice! (...unless a 5.7L Truck hemi was available of course).
But a No V8 challenger?

godonramseyfrustrated.gif

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score

31ca69.jpg

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm still hung on the aluminum cylinders. Anyone starting a pool? Put me down for junk at 60K.

Wire4money

Reaction score
Aluminum block, with basically 3d printed steel cylinders
They are plasma sprayed liners. This is not an untested process. Seadoo uses them in their 300hp 1.5l 3 cylinders, and they get more abuse than a car. Constant 500-8000 rpm bursts, as well as sustained WOT for miles.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They are plasma sprayed liners. This is not an untested process. Seadoo uses them in their 300hp 1.5l 3 cylinders, and they get more abuse than a car. Constant 500-8000 rpm bursts, as well as sustained WOT for miles.
Yeah, which is basically 3d printing in more layman's terms

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What a great application!

Also used in Nissan Skylines (GT-Rs), Cosworth engines, validated in NASCAR applications, etc.

I see Ford won an award way back in 2009 for inventing the process as a means for rescuing blocks that would otherwise be bored beyond useful life.

The tech seems to have really taken off recently…lots of testing and research.

Still, @HSKR R/T isn’t wrong; this is similar to 3D printing. The support material just happens to be an existing cylinder wall.

Users who are viewing this thread