5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tune needed after installing CAI?

Ryan1500

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a 2019 Ram 1500 classic with the 5.7 hemi, and was thinking about installing a cold air intake. Right not everything is stock and I was just wondering if I installed the CAI linked below if I would need a tune afterwards.

19TXLimited

Reaction score
You will be fine without a tune, but don't expect any gains without one either.

Personal opinion is even if there were gains to be had from tuning with just a CAI I wouldn't void my powertrain warranty for them.

IF YOU GET A TUNE ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOU CAN AFFORD TO FIX ANY AND ALL ENGINE ISSUES OUT OF POCKET.

I say this from past experience and voiding my powertrain warranty on a 2017 Camaro SS. No factory issues from the engine after install, however, the supercharger literally ate itself and luckily didn't cause any major issues. I definitely didn't fully think through modifying a $14k engine and the possibility that if I blew the motor it'd cost me that out of pocket plus install charges.

Of course this is a much more extreme example that netted 200 RWHP and 196 RWTQ, but ANY tune can and most likely will void your warranty in the event of a catastrophic failure.

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Question is, will service techs know? Do they have to go out of their way to see that the trucks been flashed, or will it be obvious to them? I come from a wrx before my last ram I had and I tuned it and it was awesome but the thought of having to pay out of pocket repairs for a vehicle that should be under warranty is the sole reason I sold it lol Subaru techs know to look for this stuff because they know kids tune them 9 times out of 10. Wondering if fca approaches this the same way

RSConsulting

Reaction score
You will be fine without a tune, but don't expect any gains without one either.

Personal opinion is even if there were gains to be had from tuning with just a CAI I wouldn't void my powertrain warranty for them.

IF YOU GET A TUNE ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOU CAN AFFORD TO FIX ANY AND ALL ENGINE ISSUES OUT OF POCKET.

I say this from past experience and voiding my powertrain warranty on a 2017 Camaro SS. No factory issues from the engine after install, however, the supercharger literally ate itself and luckily didn't cause any major issues. I definitely didn't fully think through modifying a $14k engine and the possibility that if I blew the motor it'd cost me that out of pocket plus install charges.

Of course this is a much more extreme example that netted 200 RWHP and 196 RWTQ, but ANY tune can and most likely will void your warranty in the event of a catastrophic failure.

Or - get a NEW COMPUTER.

I think Diablo quoted me right around $1K for a computer and tuner (with canned tunes).

Swap in new (unlocked) computer - flash in a tune - viola.

Gotta bring the truck in for service - swap computers to factory (untouched) computer.

I was thinking of doing this - just to rid myself of the 104MPH speed governor - but it's not worth that kind of $$ to do if for just that (hella annoying as it is).

Factories leave MUCH ON THE TABLE to meet EPA requirements for mileage/emissions. Even a bone stock motor with a tune will get more power.

MOPAR CAI/CAT Back and diablo - claims 60HP/60TQ (don't really believe that, but it should be a huge improvement).

I have an FCA 7yr/Unlimited Miles Extended - and I'm not going to blow it over a $1K computer/tuner if I want to mod and tune.

Rick

Users who are viewing this thread